Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 PM

56 posts, read 62,781 times

Advertisements

This may be a controversial topic, but I just wanted to get some view points as I recently was on a business trip and had a pretty large individual sit between myself and another person traveling on business. We had no connecting flight as our plane was going to the same destination and once that person got off we began to discuss. I just wanted to get some view points on this to see if we were right.

When you buy a plane ticket there are a multitude of things you have to consider. Am I getting the best price? Where is my seat going to be? How much time do I have to reach my connection? How long is the layover? ect ect ect? Pondering if you will be comfortable during your flight should not be one of them.

Ive been to sporting events where a large person sat next to me and pretty much took up half of my personal area, thusly pretty much ruining any comfort I had, I have also been on other flights where I have sat next to large people and I was extremely cramped when I got off the plane because the persons arms kept pushing my shoulders to weird positions.

So, do you think its fair that larger individuals are able to take up more space than they are allotted, make you uncomfortable, touch you, ruin your experience and not have to pay for an extra seat? See I personally dont think it is. With the growing amount of obese people in the U.S. its actually becoming a problem and a concern to airlines, as I have had a few talks with managers because of my experiences. They are just trying to figure out a way to deal with it.

The only way I can think of is have a regulated height to weight ratio index with maximums that would need to be filled out during the purchase phase of the ticket. Based on the calculation, if you are over the max you would need to purchase another ticket. Now this would be very invasive, offensive, has problems written all over it. However, how else would these be conducted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
This will never happen because it would affect the airline's bottom line, but, I think as a courtesy to extremely obese people, there should be an option to allow them to self identify as overweight so that they can have the seat next to them empty - at not cost to them - for them to sit comfortably.

Yes, this won't happen because it's loss revenue for the airline. Another regular sized human being could be in that seat. But since this is becoming more common, it's something that the airlines should consider.

If they ask you for your meal preference or if you have kids or need a wheel chair, why can't they ask you if you are a large person and need an extra seat?

I'm petite and I have sat next to large people. One person so huge, thankfully I requested to be moved and was accommodated. Size was like three of me: height and weight. She needed a second seat. Why should I be made uncomfortable?

Accommodate obese people on flights by not charging them extra for the seats (that's the key to self-identifying and being accommodated), they are customers too and need to fly.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
When you buy a plane ticket there are a multitude of things you have to consider. Am I getting the best price? Where is my seat going to be? How much time do I have to reach my connection? How long is the layover? ect ect ect? Pondering if you will be comfortable during your flight should not be one of them.
Actually, it damned well SHOULD be one of them. Airlines do differ in the width of their economy class seating; if customers start exhibiting a real preference for wider seats, airlines will respond by supplying them. People who put price above all else are the reason economy class has degenerated into cattle class, and flying economy has become such a miserable experience.

Now that that's clear, on to your question. Should larger people buy two seats? Yes. Will they? Not 100% of the time (for reasons which vary from 'I'm flying for work and my company will only pay for one seat," to "too cheap to buy two," to "haven't flown before and honestly didn't know how narrow the seats are."). So what's the purpose of whining about it? Your comfort is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Either speak up before the flight pulls away from the gate, or suffer in silence, or book first class seats. Your choice. But stop pretending that you have no responsibility for dealing with this problem, because it is in fact YOUR problem. Why should anyone else care more about your comfort than you do?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:17 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This will never happen because it would affect the airline's bottom line, but, I think as a courtesy to extremely obese people, there should be an option to allow them to self identify as overweight so that they can have the seat next to them empty - at not cost to them - for them to sit comfortably.

Yes, this won't happen because it's loss revenue for the airline. Another regular sized human being could be in that seat. But since this is becoming more common, it's something that the airlines should consider.
Passengers on Southwest can do one of two things ... either they can purchase two seats and then be refunded for one of the seats after the trip has occurred, or they can take their chances and inquire at the gate if there is room on the flight to reserve the seat next to them (at no cost).

Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 PM

56 posts, read 62,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, it damned well SHOULD be one of them. Airlines do differ in the width of their economy class seating; if customers start exhibiting a real preference for wider seats, airlines will respond by supplying them. People who put price above all else are the reason economy class has degenerated into cattle class, and flying economy has become such a miserable experience.
oh I agree, flying has become horrible. I do not look forward to it at all, where as I once loved it. However, when they make first class almost double the ticket as economy, most cant afford to have any type of a "non cattle" experience.

[/quote] Now that that's clear, on to your question. Should larger people buy two seats? Yes. Will they? Not 100% of the time (for reasons which vary from 'I'm flying for work and my company will only pay for one seat," to "too cheap to buy two," to "haven't flown before and honestly didn't know how narrow the seats are."). So what's the purpose of whining about it? Your comfort is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Either speak up before the flight pulls away from the gate, or suffer in silence, or book first class seats. Your choice. But stop pretending that you have no responsibility for dealing with this problem, because it is in fact YOUR problem. Why should anyone else care more about your comfort than you do?[/quote]

Correction, my comfort (to a certain degree) is the responsibility of the airline, hence airlines are making nicer seats, giving more legroom, ect ect. What am I to do when its a full flight, as so many are no a days? No one else wants to sit next to a large person that takes up 1/4 of the seat you payed for. Sitting next to a person that has a crying baby, or a person that talks to their friend the whole flight, ect, that is something headphones can drown out, sitting next to a large person invading your space you paid for is something that IS the airlines problem. I dont want anyone else to care about my comfort. However, when I pay for something a certain concern for its customers comfort comes with the resposability of operating an airline.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:18 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
This topic has been beaten to death.

And I will reiterate my position: you pay the same, you get the same. Whether you are 300 pounds, or 6'6'', or 9 month pregnant, or have terminal cancer, it is all irrelevant. The airlines are not in the business of charity. You want more, please pay for it.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-10-2015 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Passengers on Southwest can do one of two things ... either they can purchase two seats and then be refunded for one of the seats after the trip has occurred, or they can take their chances and inquire at the gate if there is room on the flight to reserve the seat next to them (at no cost).
Southwest definitely has the best policy. Too bad the other airlines won't adopt it. Knowing you have a chance of getting a refund on that second seat purchase would definitely encourage more folks to book two seats in advance.

(So would improving websites to make booking two seats next to each other easy. It doesn't help to buy two seats if one of them ends up being 10A and the other 23D!)

Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
oh I agree, flying has become horrible. I do not look forward to it at all, where as I once loved it. However, when they make first class almost double the ticket as economy, most cant afford to have any type of a "non cattle" experience.
Using Seat Guru to check the width of economy class seating before booking a flight costs nothing.

Quote:
Correction, my comfort (to a certain degree) is the responsibility of the airline, hence airlines are making nicer seats, giving more legroom, ect ect. What am I to do when its a full flight, as so many are no a days? No one else wants to sit next to a large person that takes up 1/4 of the seat you payed for.
You speak up and point out the issue to the flight attendant BEFORE the plane pulls away from the gate. If there are empty seats available, the overly large person will be moved next to one of them. If there are not, the overly large person will be removed from the flight. Either solution solves your problem. But it's up to YOU to act! The airline doesn't give a rat's ass about your comfort, and never will. They only care about legal regulations and cold, hard cash.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its up to carrier and some do if you require a seat belt extension.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its up to carrier and some do if you require a seat belt extension.
I've never heard of a seat belt extension being used as a criterion for requiring two seats. (And for good reason, because seat belt lengths aren't standardized - the airlines regularly shorten belts rather than replace them as the ends become too frayed. Two identical seats on the same plane can have two different seatbelt lengths.) The usual criterion is that you must be able to sit in the seat with the armrests fully down, or you need to buy a second seat.

The need for a seatbelt extender does exclude someone from the exit row seats on most aircraft, because they are regarded as a potential tripping hazard during a hurried evacuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel