Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Trying to maximize profit is no excuse for the crap seating, price gouging, and fee structure hell, that airlines are subjecting all passengers to. It's ridiculous.
Yes, crap seating. No, not price gouging. Airfares are tons cheaper today than anytime in our history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Trying to maximize profit is no excuse for the crap seating, price gouging, and fee structure hell, that airlines are subjecting all passengers to. It's ridiculous.
And BTW, there are much more comfortable seats available to you. Just pay the price.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not me. I avoid Southwest like the plague. I much prefer assigned seating.
I wasn't referring to Southwest's seating policy, but to its Customer of Size policy (which works partially because Southwest doesn't use assigned seating, but which could probably be adapted to function on airlines which do assign seats).

Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM

616 posts, read 645,246 times
yep

Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And BTW, there are much more comfortable seats available to you. Just pay the price.
Just for clarity, this is not the case on regional jets. Not every plane has "economy plus" or business seating. On these connecting flights all seats (with the exception of the non-reclining last row, and at times the rear facing front row) are the same.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
Though as much as I hate being stuck next to an obese person on a plane, I think requiring obese people to purchase 2 seats amounts to discrimination. I think the airlines should step up and start putting more space between the seats.......

Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
IMHO, they should take all the large people and put them in one section. That way, they don't inconvenience other normal sized people, and then the fatties can all fight over the space with each other.

Or the airlines could sell person and 1/2 seats, (exLarge) and charge a 50% higher fare. Allocate those for the extra large folks. A row or two of these would make a lot of people on the flight happy.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Well, this is a sweet suggestion but you have underestimated the selfishness and self-absorption of some people. There are a LOT of people who would 'self identify' as overweight if it meant they got a free extra seat beside them. I can imagine entire planes where half the seats are being given 'free' to ver weight people.

Hell, I'd probably do it myself.
Not to mention that then the rest of us ARE paying extra to absorb the cost of the seat that couldn't be sold.

I take the time to eat right and work out so I remain a healthy weight. Those who can't be bothered should pay for the extra seat.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's why the Southwest system works well. Charge for the second seat, and refund the price after the trip. It's more effort than most are willing to spend unless they really need it.
They no longer do the refund.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Airlines are not even satisfying the 98%, with their compressed seats, baggage fees, inflated pricing, and price categories PER SEAT. Airfare is going to rise no matter what, so at least make all the passengers comfortable, including those who need special accommodations (elderly, obese, etc...). THIS is the bottom line.

Make the seats more comfortable for everyone, even if it means designing special seats for gigantic people. An obese person may have a medical condition which makes them that way. It's not right to assume that all obese people lack discipline to control their weight, so they should be penalized and charged more. This is absurd.

For what, maybe the 1% of the obese population is the root cause a medical problem. 99% is just laziness and bad habits. Why should the rest of us reward them for bad behavior? Do you give your dog a treat when he chews on your shoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel