Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It's not realistic because you expect obese people to purchase two seats ahead of time. I assure you most times they won't.

Yes, you can take a hard stance at the gate or on the plane but you create a situation where an emotional obese person is cursing out your ticket agents and creating a very uncomfortable scene for everyone.

Airlines would rather not deal with the bad PR because people tend to be more sympathetic to the obese person than some corporate conglomerate anyways.

Things always look good in theory but usually never come out that way in real life.

What you think should happen and what undoubtedly will happen in real life situations are usually totally opposite.
Not "everyone" - when the airline does this they are protecting the adjacent passenger(s) who would be squished for the trip.

Not fitting into a seat is not something people are "surprised" with - obese people know they're obese.

Some airlines (including by law, those in Canada) do offer two seats for the price of one upon provision of medical evidence that you need the space. STILL people do not do this and take more than one seat (embarrassed about their size? not organized?).

Until the rights of ALL travelers are protected (including the neighboring non obese passengers) this will continue.

It should NOT under any circumstances be the responsibility of a fellow passenger who is being squished to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
It's not realistic because you expect obese people to purchase two seats ahead of time. I assure you most times they won't.

Yes, you can take a hard stance at the gate or on the plane but you create a situation where an emotional obese person is cursing out your ticket agents and creating a very uncomfortable scene for everyone.

Airlines would rather not deal with the bad PR because people tend to be more sympathetic to the obese person than some corporate conglomerate anyways.

Things always look good in theory but usually never come out that way in real life.

What you think should happen and what undoubtedly will happen in real life situations are usually totally opposite.
I know what you mean, yeah, poor fat people bullied by greedy companies who only care about their "bottom line", when in fact the airline did nothing wrong and it is those fat people who are greedy expecting to get twice the portion for the price of one.

And you are exactly right most times those obese people don't buy two seats, even though they know they need two, and isn't that the source of the problem? When there are empty seats, their "need" is satisfied (although it is still unfair to other passengers, because having two seats even for a fat person is much more comfortably than a regular person taking one seat); and when the plane is full, tension is created, exclusively due to the behavior of the obese passengers.

While expecting to be assigned additional seat for free, those people should also accept the risk that if the plane is indeed full, they should not fly and cause others great discomfort.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:12 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's what I have been proposing for a long time.
Passengers should be able to raise the divider so that not an inch of their purchased space can be invaded.

This is useful also in other situations. You are trying to get some sleep, and your neighbour keeps moving and fidgeting and accidentally touching you with his elbow, back, or long hair. It is extremely annoying because it is hard enough to fall asleep on the plane already.
Thats not a bad idea, but you do lose the arm rest. And you wouldn't want them to go too high or else the middle person may start feeling a bit claustrophobic on long flights.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:22 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toitrnjasonajason View Post
fat shaming. most people alive today disagree with this bigot op
Have you read the thread? With 6 posts on CD you know enough about the OP to call them a bigot?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:40 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
the op seems off-premise since airlines do charge obese people for another seat.

i think silent bob had a twitter beef with an airline some time ago because of that.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:

An "emotional obese person is cursing out your ticket agents and creating a very uncomfortable scene for everyone" should not be allowed to fly. Period.

I have a friend who can fit (uncomfortably) into a single seat, but she does the responsible thing and books a second seat for herself. Some obese people have an ounce of common sense and are reasonable and rational. They book a second seat. The others? Don't even get me started.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitrnjasonajason View Post
fat shaming. most people alive today disagree with this bigot op
Actually most people think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the full use of a seat they've paid good money for. Only arrogant/stupid people think it's perfectly OK to expect the person next to/in front of them to be uncomfortable or not have full use of the seat they paid for. If you want to call that fat shaming so be it. It also goes for people who need extra leg and shoulder room.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thats not a bad idea, but you do lose the arm rest. And you wouldn't want them to go too high or else the middle person may start feeling a bit claustrophobic on long flights.
My thought is a fan shape so it forms a semi-circle. They actually pull out of the arm rest. One of the foreign carriers has that type of set up in either business or PE, unfortunately I can't recall which or I would post a photo.

Losing the arm rest would stop the ridiculous fights that occur over that as well...

Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM

604 posts, read 618,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Well, this is a sweet suggestion but you have underestimated the selfishness and self-absorption of some people. There are a LOT of people who would 'self identify' as overweight if it meant they got a free extra seat beside them. I can imagine entire planes where half the seats are being given 'free' to ver weight people.

Hell, I'd probably do it myself.
Everybody loves an empty seat to put a purse, ipod or wahever.

a colleague who i travel frequently with, always requests an exit row seat if it's free. He is 5'10'', he could fit perfect in a regular row.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:58 PM

604 posts, read 618,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~~ It seems that if a child/baby is being brought onboard of an aircraft and NOT having to pay for a seat and so on..Why can't these same free ride kids be weighed just like carry on luggage?? Just asking??? duck and cover....but you have to know parent's carry-on is full of chid pacifier remedies too!!
I had to pay taxes and fuel surcharge (some 300$) for the pleasure of carrying my baby on my lap for a 6 hours flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel