Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,695,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
It IS funny reading all of the justifications why fat people deserve free, extra space. Although suggesting the normal-size passengers should buy the second seat is a new one.
Not really. 'Business class' for some European airlines on intra-European narrow body routes is a standard 3-aisle-3 seat configuration with the middle seats blocked off. And Air New Zealand encourages passengers who want a little more space but who don't want to pay premium cabin prices to buy two seats next to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:03 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,015,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not really. 'Business class' for some European airlines on intra-European narrow body routes is a standard 3-aisle-3 seat configuration with the middle seats blocked off. And Air New Zealand encourages passengers who want a little more space but who don't want to pay premium cabin prices to buy two seats next to each other.
I don't want "more" space. Just my own seat.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,690,608 times
Quote:
This is true and there is a perfect solution; buy a first class ticket. Your height should not restrict my ability to recline.
Then if you want to guarantee you can recline, then you are the one that should fly first class. Remember it is the airlines that shrunk the seat size, and leg room to put in more seats. When they took room away from the taller person, it is not the tall persons fault if they infringe on the other passengers. Like you, they bought the use of a seat. If the seat is way too small for you and the tall person to both be comfortable, then the small person has the rights to do what many are promoting on this thread. They have the right to buy an extra seat or to fly first class, and then they would have what they want.

3.7% of all men are 6'2" or taller. So when you want tall people to have to do things different than small people. To have to pay more to travel, etc., you are actually being discriminating against these men. People are no longer supposed to be discriminating against people due to their color of skin, their ethnic heritage, their sex, their sexual preference, so now short bigots are wanting to discriminate against tall people. Fortunately not all short people want to discriminate against tall people. I am glad of this, as my short wife of 62 years (5'2") did not discriminate against me for being tall.

These bigots want tall people to have to spend a lot more money to buy extra seats on airplanes, or to fly first class. They can do so if they want more room, and choose to do so. But the small person has the same right. They too can have more room, by buying an extra seat or to fly first class.

Tall people on the other hand have advantages. In the work world they are way more apt to be promoted. They find it easier to get jobs. If two qualified applicants apply, with one tall and one short the tall person is much more apt to get the job. I for one, never failed to get a job I went after, and was offered higher positions on a few cases than the one I applied for.

Don't believe me, look at executives and others in management, and you will find that the percentage of them that are tall, is far above 3.7% which is their percentage of the male population. Tall women have the same advantage.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,015,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Then if you want to guarantee you can recline, then you are the one that should fly first class. Remember it is the airlines that shrunk the seat size, and leg room to put in more seats. When they took room away from the taller person, it is not the tall persons fault if they infringe on the other passengers. Like you, they bought the use of a seat. If the seat is way too small for you and the tall person to both be comfortable, then the small person has the rights to do what many are promoting on this thread. They have the right to buy an extra seat or to fly first class, and then they would have what they want.

3.7% of all men are 6'2" or taller. So when you want tall people to have to do things different than small people. To have to pay more to travel, etc., you are actually being discriminating against these men. People are no longer supposed to be discriminating against people due to their color of skin, their ethnic heritage, their sex, their sexual preference,so now short bigots are wanting to discriminate against tall people. Fortunately not all short people want to discriminate against tall people. I am glad of this, as my short wife of 62 years (5'2") did not discriminate against me for being tall.

These bigots want tall people to have to spend a lot more money to buy extra seats on airplanes, or to fly first class. They can do so if they want more room, and choose to do so. But the small person has the same right. They too can have more room, by buying an extra seat or to fly first class.

Tall people on the other hand have advantages. In the work world they are way more apt to be promoted. They find it easier to get jobs. If two qualified applicants apply, with one tall and one short the tall person is much more apt to get the job. I for one, never failed to get a job I went after, and was offered higher positions on a few cases than the one I applied for.

Don't believe me, look at executives and others in management, and you will find that the percentage of them that are tall, is far above 3.7% which is their percentage of the male population. Tall women have the same advantage.
Please admit you're joking?

My seat is absolutely fine for me as long as someone else doesn't sit in half of it. "Short bigots"? And then you launch into a monologue about how the world treats you better than anyone else?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:04 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,690,608 times
How about the ones of us that had to fly as part of our employment. Employers paid for 1 seat. Do you expect us to pay for an extra seat out of our own pocket? That is not even in the cards. And don't say fly business class for more room, as a lot of the flights we would be on, did not have business class, and often not even 1st class. Only standard coach seating. Some of my business travel, covered a lot of miles and often more than one or two airplanes.

Example: One morning my wife and I left Denver at 5:30 in the morning, for a conference we were to both attend. Flew from there to Omaha, Nebraska, from there to Houston, and then to Miami, and then from there to Grand Cayman Islands where we arrived at 5:00 pm. I was the after lunch speaker the next day on the first day of the conference. We were in the Cayman's for a week for this conference.

That was back in the days they served meals for all passengers. I ate three breakfasts that day. Coffee and rolls out of Denver. Bacon and Eggs out of Omaha, then Steak and Eggs out of Houston. The Omaha breakfast was about equal to a fair small size breakfast out of Omaha, and one good meal out of Houston which served as Lunch also. Seats were all large enough that I did not crowd anyone as I sat in the aisle seat as my wife liked the window seat. Today that would not be possible due to small seats and I would have had the middle seat, and there would not be any meals on board. There was very little time between landing, and a new check in.

And it would have been unreasonable to expect me to pay for an extra seat for all those hours and miles if they sat us in smaller seats as they do today, paying for them out of my own pocket so someone else would be more comfortable. And even if it was business travel, the extra seat would not be tax deductible as one person only one seat deduction for air travel. Not only would it not have been deductible but I would have had to pay income taxes on the money I spent on that extra seat as regular income. In the 40% federal and state tax bracket, that would have made those extra seats very costly. And that was just one way. The same thing happened on the return trip.

Quit blaming the tall person for crowding you. Start to petition the airlines to provide some seats especially for the larger humans. Remember the sun rises and sets over the tall person, just as it does over the short person. We are all equal. If you want more room, let the short person be the one that buys the extra seat.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,858,106 times
Quote:
The only reason that a tall person like myself, may encroach on a neighbors space, is a problem caused by the airlines, when they reduced the width of seats to put more seats on the plane. And small people get angry that they cannot lean their seats back, as our knees are in the way. A result due to the airlines reducing the distance between seats.

It is not my fault the airlines did this, and I should have the same rights to fly as the short person.

The corporations only look out for medium to small people. They ignore the taller people in this country.

Airlines make too small seats to add more passengers in a plane. Auto makers do not put enough height in the typical automobiles for a tall person (and 6'2" is not overly tall) to be able to sit up or even get into most cars. For this reason since the 1970s, I have always had to drive large expensive cars, pickups, and mid size to large SUVs. Fuel efficient cars are the worst, as they lower the roof line to decrease the wind resistance, and get better mileage.

When I go car shopping I feel like they make cars for midgets. You cannot drive, with your head bent over and your head against the roof of the car. I always wanted a nice sports car like a Porch which I could afford very easily, but there was never one with head room. John Wayne the actor was known to always drive station wagons, and had the roof raised about 5" so he could sit up in one for that reason.

You have to special order a living room chair to fit you. In my younger days I spent 10 years in the furniture business so I know and have had many men over 5'10" tall having the same problem.
My husband is 6' with a long torso and drives a Prius with headroom to spare. I have a 6'7" friend who drives a Porsche with no problem. We have never had a problem buying "normal" furniture.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Why is it the responsibility for a tall person to have to buy a second seat. Why should not the smaller person that feels they are being infringed on have the responsibility to only fly on airlines that have seats wide enough that they will not be crowded by bigger people, or to buy 2 seats to give them the room they desire. In other words if you are not happy with a certain plane when seated next to a larger person why should you then not be the one to make the adjustment. You are the one with the complaint, so why should you not be the one to solve the problem, and buy an extra seat to insure you have lots of room.?
I fit into my space, and don't allow others to help themselves to it. Their body is simply not my problem. I recline, I put down the armrest. if they don't like me using MY SPACE they can sit elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You still do not get it. The airline industry caused a problem, when they cut the seat width and leg room to take in more passengers.

And what the large person wants is their own seat and space. It is not the tall persons problem any more than the small persons problem to give the small person more room. The short person has the same rights as a tall person to buy an extra seat, to ensure they have extra room and be comfortable.
The small person doesn't need the extra room as long as people keep to their own space and don't try to steal from others.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true and there is a perfect solution; buy a first class ticket. Your height should not restrict my ability to recline.
There was an argument in front of me in first Thursday evening. Apparently the guy in 2D didn't think the guy in 1D should recline. What an idiot.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
How about the ones of us that had to fly as part of our employment. Employers paid for 1 seat. Do you expect us to pay for an extra seat out of our own pocket? That is not even in the cards. And don't say fly business class for more room, as a lot of the flights we would be on, did not have business class, and often not even 1st class. Only standard coach seating. Some of my business travel, covered a lot of miles and often more than one or two airplanes.

Example: One morning my wife and I left Denver at 5:30 in the morning, for a conference we were to both attend. Flew from there to Omaha, Nebraska, from there to Houston, and then to Miami, and then from there to Grand Cayman Islands where we arrived at 5:00 pm. I was the after lunch speaker the next day on the first day of the conference. We were in the Cayman's for a week for this conference.
That was back in the days they served meals for all passengers. I ate three breakfasts that day. Coffee and rolls out of Denver. Bacon and Eggs out of Omaha, then Steak and Eggs out of Houston. The Omaha breakfast was about equal to a fair small size breakfast out of Omaha, and one good meal out of Houston which served as Lunch also. Seats were all large enough that I did not crowd anyone as I sat in the aisle seat as my wife liked the window seat. Today that would not be possible due to small seats and I would have had the middle seat, and there would not be any meals on board. There was very little time between landing, and a new check in.

And it would have been unreasonable to expect me to pay for an extra seat for all those hours and miles if they sat us in smaller seats as they do today, paying for them out of my own pocket so someone else would be more comfortable. And even if it was business travel, the extra seat would not be tax deductible as one person only one seat deduction for air travel. Not only would it not have been deductible but I would have had to pay income taxes on the money I spent on that extra seat as regular income. In the 40% federal and state tax bracket, that would have made those extra seats very costly. And that was just one way. The same thing happened on the return trip.

Quit blaming the tall person for crowding you. Start to petition the airlines to provide some seats especially for the larger humans. Remember the sun rises and sets over the tall person, just as it does over the short person. We are all equal. If you want more room, let the short person be the one that buys the extra seat.
I'm guessing this was before deregulation--and that seat cost 3-4 times as much in today's dollars.

I have no reason to buy an extra seat. I have many ways to keep someone from encroaching on the space that I purchased. A flight attendant will always tell the tall person to twist sideways to allow the person in front of them to recline, and will always require the armrest to be down if someone wants it there. You won't win this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel