U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 16,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ PRIMUSINTERPARES I'll be flying the Amsterdam -Cape Town, direct flight , too bad they don't have Premium, I would have tried it (well offered it to my wife to be exact, I would have soldiered on in cattle class)
If you're flexible with dates and city it's possible.

For example Ethiopian Air will fly to cape Town from Stockholm for just a hair over 1000 in Business class

Of course there will be a few transfers, and you will have to cover the fare from Amsterdam to Stockholm....so it's not the smoothest experience, but the option is there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:43 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Default Ethiopian Air?

OMG , I'll be flying down there for vacations, not to put an end to my life!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:02 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
The EU sets fairly tough rules if an airline wants to be allowed to operate in its airspace and land at its airports- I think about 90% on Indonesian carriers are currently on the 'banned from EU airspace' list. Any airline flying with a presence in Stockholm including the above mentioned Ethiopian is going to be just fine from a safety and operations stability standpoint.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The EU sets fairly tough rules if an airline wants to be allowed to operate in its airspace and land at its airports- I think about 90% on Indonesian carriers are currently on the 'banned from EU airspace' list. Any airline flying with a presence in Stockholm including the above mentioned Ethiopian is going to be just fine from a safety and operations stability standpoint.
Basically true, but some airlines are only allowed to enter the EU airspace with some of their airplanes. If you fly EU-ADD-CPT then the airplane flying ADD-CPT does not necessairly have the permission to enter the EU, because it is not used on that route. (Not applicable for Ethiopian Airlines though, which is quite fine).

I love to fly on old airplanes anyways. From Air Koryo (North Korea) to Cubana (Cuba) I am in!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM

Default even if that is true about EA

...it means that it would considerably lenghten my journey : first, Paris-Stockholm (and I wouldnt be able to fly low cost on that first leg since we'll have the quantity of luggage allowed on long haul carriers), then Stockholm-Addis- ababa, anf finally Addis-ababa -CPT ? an endless journey... it woukld be a self defating endeavour since if I'm looking for Premium seats, it's mainly to avoid being tired by a long flight. If a flight is too long with several legs, I'll be tired anyway...so I'll stick to the direct Amsterdm-CPT flight (12 hours )

Old 11-01-2016, 05:44 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,278,482 times
I ONLY fly first or at a minimum business class. For domestic or to Mexico/South or Central America, it is usually just a couple hundred more and as long as you time your flights right it includes my checked bags, a nice meal (or two if connecting), priority security line, alcohol, bigger seat (sometimes lay flat bed like I'll be on in two weeks) and great service.

For the very expensive overseas flights I use points to upgrade.

I can't sit in the back with the common people and their screaming spawn.

The best or nothing...

Old 11-01-2016, 10:04 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,614 times
Default How about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
How often do you fly first class?
Um, only once and that was because my best friend at the time worked for the airline and got me a buddy pass. I'm not sure how, because this was like 20 years ago, but I was able to sit in first class with this particular buddy pass. It was a great experience but not worth the price of me coming out of pocket to pay that much for a ticket when I can get the same dang flight for $600+ cheaper, especially if flying domestically and sit in the sardine section, I mean economy.

Yes, it's very cramped but I'd rather take the extra money I save by NOT paying for first class and use it once I reach my destination or to add to my travels and fly to yet another destination. If I'm paying anywhere near $1K or more for a ticket, it's for flying abroad (in the economy seats). I can't even fathom how much it costs to fly first class into Heathrow from NYC or Wash DC., which is where I flew abroad from a few months ago.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
used to fly first most of the time cause both our daughters worked for airlines and it was super easy to get first class using passes plus hubby had a job where travel was constant so miles piled up. Now we are retired, only one daughter works for the airlines, flying stand by has gotten to be a huge downer and our budget doesn't allow spending money we need for other things. Unless one of the kids lets us use some of their frequent flyer miles, we sit back, almost in the luggage dept it seems Might add, we are always looking for the best deal, so we fly off the wll airlines from time to time. I am not sure they even have true first class, in fact they don't really have much class.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 AM

15,222 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamauiguy View Post
I have MVP on Alaska and get upgraded to first pretty often, with that said I would never pay for domestic "first class," it is not worth the money. Internationally, I have flown business with Delta, United, Turkish Air, Cathay, Air India and Garuda. I have recently flown First Class on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to LAX and it was one of the best (flying) experiences, both in the air and on the ground, of my life; definitely recommend flying international first once in your life, it's awesome.
I guess I would not want to ever do it because then I'd be spoiled! Regular class is horrible but I'd forego paying double in order to travel more and spend it while on the ground. I wouldn't want to think back to my one great 1st class experience on every single flight after that! I'll just live in relative ignorance!

At least international first class looks like a REAL upgrade - more than a few inches of space and free drinks.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 AM

yes, Premium doesn't seem to me an actual upgrade after all, I'd rather do my homework on Seat Guru and hunt for the most desirable seats in coach....Premium seems to me a device to line up the pockets of Airlines exploiting the gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or