U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:49 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times

Advertisements

Did it once SF to Munich via Zurich... had miles that were expiring and could never get a seat... in desperation said this is ridiculous and the agent said I could redeem all my miles for a First Class Ticket and that is what I did...

It was the best flight ever... part was code share on Swiss... had my own steward and the Captain personally welcomed me on board and said not to hesitate if there was anything I needed...

My steward was disappointed because I told him to put the bar away... last think I wanted to do was get tanked.

He did bake fresh chocolate chip cookies and ice cream sundaes were nice...

Real China and real Silverware... every meal was outstanding.

The lounges were superb... also arranged a layover in DC on the way back to visit friends... all in all an excellent trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Twice.

1) I was the last person in line to board, and the boarding clerk ran out of tourist class boarding cards, and just grabbed a first class pass and handed it to me.

2) Nearly the entire plane was occupied in second class by a loud cackling bunch of retirees from New York City who were getting set to play Canasta all the way to Curacao, and the flight attendant asked my wife and me if we'd like to move up to first class.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM

499 posts, read 248,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Since my primary flying tends to be overseas for my vacations, I've become accustomed to paying an avg of $1500 for a r/t ticket. I'm considering biting the bullet and paying only $1,068 for a first class non-stop from Detroit to LA on my next trip out there, instead of the $450 in economy. It's a 4.5 hour flight and if I can treat myself to first class seats on the longest continental US flight I'll have for my purposes, I think it's a good investment. I have travelled first class in the past, in the 90s, twice, so I'm up for an upgrade on at least one route I'll be using regularly.

How often do you fly first class?
I fly the long haul routes in biz class. As an example, last month I flew Delta from Atlanta to Anchorage on short notice. It was only a couple of hundred more to fly in biz class than economy $1565 vs $1365

Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 PM

18,664 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Since my primary flying tends to be overseas for my vacations, I've become accustomed to paying an avg of $1500 for a r/t ticket. I'm considering biting the bullet and paying only $1,068 for a first class non-stop from Detroit to LA on my next trip out there, instead of the $450 in economy. It's a 4.5 hour flight and if I can treat myself to first class seats on the longest continental US flight I'll have for my purposes, I think it's a good investment. I have travelled first class in the past, in the 90s, twice, so I'm up for an upgrade on at least one route I'll be using regularly.

How often do you fly first class?

Domestically, almost never.

However, if the flight is over 5 or 6 hours, I do. Examples Hawaii from the eastern Midwest.

So, every few years. Generally, I fly to get from point A to point B. As long as there is no plane changing involved, I am fine in economy.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 PM

372 posts, read 409,298 times
Depends on the route and the flight; if it's a red-eye--a long flight--or I'm really tired, I always fly first.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the premier seat (united, more leg room) that comes with being a tiered member.

I fly 2-4x a month, so first comfort isn't necessary or mandatory, but it helps to keep me from being cranky-lol.

More important: Bose noise canceling headphones--worth their weight in gold. I never leave home without them.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM

499 posts, read 248,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
More important: Bose noise canceling headphones--worth their weight in gold. I never leave home without them.
Very true - helps a lot on turboprops.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,832,254 times
Very rarely since most of my travel is domestic and flights under 4 hours at that. I can't justify tripling my ticket price on a narrow-body plane for a slightly bigger seat and a sandwich.

I wouldn't pay much extra to fly first class on a narrow-body. If I get an upgrade or the cost difference is very very minimal, it's one thing, but otherwise no.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM

372 posts, read 409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Very true - helps a lot on turboprops.
and crying babies and loud talkers

Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,481,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
7 MILLION?

I'll send you my AA awards info if you want to contribute to southkakkatlantan's travel charity fund by donating some miles
I flew every week for almost 20 years. 90% was on American. Exec Platinum every year. It got really old and I love flying only 4 -5 trips per year now.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 PM

424 posts, read 286,683 times
Once, when the airline gave me a free upgrade because they overbooked the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or