U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:55 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,547,287 times

Advertisements

Since my primary flying tends to be overseas for my vacations, I've become accustomed to paying an avg of $1500 for a r/t ticket. I'm considering biting the bullet and paying only $1,068 for a first class non-stop from Detroit to LA on my next trip out there, instead of the $450 in economy. It's a 4.5 hour flight and if I can treat myself to first class seats on the longest continental US flight I'll have for my purposes, I think it's a good investment. I have travelled first class in the past, in the 90s, twice, so I'm up for an upgrade on at least one route I'll be using regularly.

How often do you fly first class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Only once. I paid about $1200 to fly from Toronto to Tokyo, stay for week then Shanghai, and then return nonstop. This cheap because of the promotional frequent flyer points program. I slept like a baby.

I would never pay more for short haul flights where you essentially get a wider seat and better food.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,357,860 times
Only once, so far, but it won't be the last time! I use credit card miles....and it's well worth it for a flight over 3 hours, IMO!!!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
I do it fairly regularly these days, for the added comfort. The wider seat makes a difference in my case. If you fit in an economy seat width-wise and just want more legroom, economy plus gets you that for much less than first class prices. And of course comfort matters more on longer flights.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,282,726 times
I fly regularly on business and only buy coach seats. Due to my status, I get upgraded to first over 60% of the time. the only time I have ever "paid" for first was a family vacation and I paid in frequent flyer points for the seats.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I fly regularly on business and only buy coach seats. Due to my status, I get upgraded to first over 60% of the time. the only time I have ever "paid" for first was a family vacation and I paid in frequent flyer points for the seats.
Exactly the same with me, although I don't think I ever payed for first in my life. My upgrade percentage is about 75%. If not, I always get the economy comfort seats for free.

I try to tell people, otherwise, that first class isn't THAT big of a deal - you are still traveling in a stuffy metal tube. I would never consider it worth paying extra for, never (well, some airlines have specials where you can upgrade for a small sum, maybe that would be worth it). For international flights - a coach class ticket can be $1,000 and the business class $10,000. I use frequent flyer points for that when I want international business - again, all free for me.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
Never have and never will unless someone else fronts the bill.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM

163 posts, read 111,855 times
I'm mainly a business traveler. 100,000-250,000 miles a year, almost 30 years now. I've been in first class once on a (paid) medical evacuation ticket and in business class once on an upgrade. I don't really value first/business over coach. Just not my thing.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 PM

11,698 posts, read 6,290,166 times
I've only flown first class once. And I didn't even pay for the ticket (it was a ticket upgrade after the airline failed to call or email me that my cancelled flight was now on again . . . and I was right at the airport, too). I'm not even sure if I'd purchase a first class ticket if I could afford it. To be honest, the best thing about first class was the added attention from flight attendants and better food. This and any extra room isn't necessarily worth the extra cost for me.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I do it fairly regularly these days, for the added comfort. The wider seat makes a difference in my case. If you fit in an economy seat width-wise and just want more legroom, economy plus gets you that for much less than first class prices. And of course comfort matters more on longer flights.
This. And I'm slender in comparison. But comfort is key for me on a flight of at least 2 hours.

The other thing is, it includes meals, checked bags (if needed), etc. It's an all-inclusive ticket rather than nickel-and-diming like the do now in economy. I much prefer paying for everything in one shot anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or