U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:14 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,459,175 times

Advertisements

To the two users who are trying to tell me that somehow no nice places to stay can possibly exist in the entire country, that's a ridiculous proposition. Even if I have never visited, it doesn't matter. Also, Cuba, beyond the beaches and resorts is an interesting look at a society far removed from an American one, something that most other islands in the Caribbean cannot really offer to you. I don't think there's any other place in the sea that interests me as much as Cuba, besides Trinidad and Tobago. I think it's a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:50 PM

605 posts, read 469,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Um, not a good idea. US CBP have been known to stand there waiting for US citizens to get off those flights with their blue passports in hand.
If you travel with two separate tickets and overnight in Canada or just drive to either Toronto or Montreal from the US it should not be an issue.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 AM

357 posts, read 1,700,766 times
US Customs, are not standing there waiting. That is an absolute joke. Once again, no one cares about US travel to Cuba.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
If you travel with two separate tickets and overnight in Canada or just drive to either Toronto or Montreal from the US it should not be an issue.
Maybe you missed what I wrote.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:27 AM

605 posts, read 469,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe you missed what I wrote.
I very highly doubt US Customs personnel would be able to point out one US citizen in a crowd of roughly sixty or more Canadian citizens that are disembarking a plane (especially since both the US Passport and the Canadian Passport have the same background color making them somewhat indistinguishable from each other upon first glance). Unless the said person was directly connecting for a flight bound to the US after clearing Canadian customs, I don't see how anyone would even notice.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
I very highly doubt US Customs personnel would be able to point out one US citizen in a crowd of roughly sixty or more Canadian citizens that are disembarking a plane (especially since both the US Passport and the Canadian Passport have the same background color making them somewhat indistinguishable from each other upon first glance). Unless the said person was directly connecting for a flight bound to the US after clearing Canadian customs, I don't see how anyone would even notice.
I have a friend who is a dual US/Canadian citizen who travels to Cuba every couple of years on her Canadian passport. She has seen it happen twice (out of six trips). She said the US CBP agent was standing right there with the Canadian agent and pulled a couple of people in front of her with US passports out of the line at YYZ.

It doesn't happen all the time, but she has seen it happen.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 AM

357 posts, read 1,700,766 times
thats utter BS. No one has been prosecuted for travel to Cuba in over 10 years. No one cares, go and enjoy. You can now book your flights online and with ease. Check out LP, the Cuba branch for very experienced travelers (albeit grumpy) to Cuba. Many are Americans that do it all the time.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 AM

8,665 posts, read 19,167,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I guess you don't want to hear this, but why? Not for the political or ethical issues, but simply because Cuba is a discount destination with roach motel level accomadations....or a place for European men to enjoy the services of female company for $5usd a night.
Take your wife somewhere nice. 10th anniversary should be for 5 star level accomadations.

Guess you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:13 PM

637 posts, read 647,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I guess you don't want to hear this, but why? Not for the political or ethical issues, but simply because Cuba is a discount destination with roach motel level accomadations....or a place for European men to enjoy the services of female company for $5usd a night.
Take your wife somewhere nice. 10th anniversary should be for 5 star level accomadations.
You are quite wrong. I know many Canadians who visit Cuba often. It is just the same as going to the Bahamas or Jamaica or Cancun. Normal resorts for families, singles or couples.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 PM

637 posts, read 647,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
thats utter BS. No one has been prosecuted for travel to Cuba in over 10 years. No one cares, go and enjoy. You can now book your flights online and with ease. Check out LP, the Cuba branch for very experienced travelers (albeit grumpy) to Cuba. Many are Americans that do it all the time.

I don't know what you mean by "prosecuted" but the US government has the right to charge a huge fine for US passport holders who go to Cuba without prior authorization. It happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or