U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:18 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Per the United award chart here (https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...t-02-01-14.pdf), a one-way US-Japan economy class Saver award on United metal is 35k. So it comes down to two things: 1. Is a Saver award either to or from Tokyo available on the dates the OP has to fly? and 2. Does a one-way Economy class ticket to or from Japan cost more than $700? If the OP can find one-way Saver space either to or from Japan AND the other paid leg costs less than $700, he does better using the miles for Japan. If saver space isn't available on either of his dates or if a one-way economy class Japan ticket costs more than $700, he does better using the miles for his Mexico trip.

It's complicated, for sure. (But that's the norm when using miles!)
I don't fly Untied enough to know--do they allow O/W reward travel? Not all carriers do. Also the OW fare is probably almost the same cost as the R/T, that needs to be considered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Per the United award chart here (https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...t-02-01-14.pdf), a one-way US-Japan economy class Saver award on United metal is 35k. So it comes down to two things: 1. Is a Saver award either to or from Tokyo available on the dates the OP has to fly? and 2. Does a one-way Economy class ticket to or from Japan cost more than $700? If the OP can find one-way Saver space either to or from Japan AND the other paid leg costs less than $700, he does better using the miles for Japan. If saver space isn't available on either of his dates or if a one-way economy class Japan ticket costs more than $700, he does better using the miles for his Mexico trip.

It's complicated, for sure. (But that's the norm when using miles!)
One way tix are right at almost exactly $700 right now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't fly Untied enough to know--do they allow O/W reward travel? Not all carriers do. Also the OW fare is probably almost the same cost as the R/T, that needs to be considered as well.
United does allow redemption of awards for one way trips.

One ways are running right at $700 while lowest round trip tix are right under $1200....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,546 posts, read 16,490,417 times
Reputation: 8087
You are only a few days away from booking a ticket for next May. 331 days in advance is what AA allows, so you could book the first week of May today. I have never had a problem booking coach that far in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Reputation: 18323
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
One way tix are right at almost exactly $700 right now....
So pricewise it's looking like a tossup. Given that, if you've already found frequent flyer tickets for your Mexico trip, I'd go ahead and book them. If you haven't, I'd search for award tickets for both trips (one way for Japan, round trip for Mexico), and book whichever one you find first. Might as well keep it easy!

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Book Mexico with your ff miles. Using miles for Mexico and paying cash for Japan means you'll spend around $1200. Using miles for a one-way ticket to Japan, paying cash for the return trip, and paying cash for the Mexico trip will cost you around $1400. So using the miles for Mexico saves you the most money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
One other thing, unless you have status there might be a fee to redeem an award ticket. That needs to be factored in as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Reputation: 7700
United only charges redemption fees if someone without status tries to redeem within something like 21 days before departure. Otherwise it's just the usual $5 security fee and assorted taxes like the London airport extortion tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Book Mexico with your ff miles. Using miles for Mexico and paying cash for Japan means you'll spend around $1200. Using miles for a one-way ticket to Japan, paying cash for the return trip, and paying cash for the Mexico trip will cost you around $1400. So using the miles for Mexico saves you the most money.

This logic makes sense...I'm leaning towards just using the miles for Mexico right now since the flights are available now and doing the two one-ways to Japan is more expensive than one roundtrip airfare ticket....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Reputation: 18323
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
This logic makes sense...I'm leaning towards just using the miles for Mexico right now since the flights are available now...
If the flights are available now, BOOK THEM! You never know when award space is going to disappear. What most folks new to the miles and points game don't realize is that earning miles is the easy part. Finding flights to where you want to go in the cabin category you want on the days when you are able to fly is the tough part of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Reputation: 7700
Very much so. Granted if you're starting at ORD, it's easier to find 'cheap' seats than if your starting point is a podunk field served only by United Express barbie jets (it's actually easier for me to find Delta Sky Peso cheap award tickets from local airports than it is to find similar from United) but Saver awards can be pretty rare to popular destinations, especially if you don't have the status that gets you slightly better availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top