U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:58 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,992,048 times

Advertisements

Your Mexico flight is definitely great value for miles. You could possibly do better with Tokyo, but it wouldn't be by much and the chances are slim. So I would absolutely recommend taking the opportunity you have now.

And using a United or AA credit card (if you've never signed up) should get you your Tokyo flight (close to) free as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,941,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
United does allow redemption of awards for one way trips.

One ways are running right at $700 while lowest round trip tix are right under $1200....
What dates are you looking at? Only early May 2016 are available so far, mid/late May prices will likely be higher.. availability aside (I know that's the biggest issue, although it looks like availability for your Mexico trip is wide open at this time), valuewise your best redemption could be the Tokyo-ORD trip home as one-way prices later in May might be higher than ORD-Tokyo in early May (even if it's only a 1-week difference).

Regarding another comment (you won't get enough miles before then) -- if you are ready/able to play the credit card game you can currently get a 30k welcome bonus with the Chase United card, the 1:1 earn rate is fairly pedestrian but after $3k in purchases you'd have another 3k miles, which would be enough for the 70k saver award to Japan. Whether you could still find availability on a Transpac round-trip when all those miles post is another story.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,453,883 times
Well it used to be clearly better to book award tickets for the Mexico trip and pay for the Japan one, because you would earn more miles. With the earning based on dollars spent now its not as clear.

Personally I would book the mexico trip with miles and get your dates set for the Japan trip and start checking flights to NRT and HND. You can occasionally find them in the 700s round trip from Chicago. Chicago is one of the cities I regularly check for deals so I know I saw one a few weeks ago on ANA for around 740 or 750. I saw an american one too but it was closer to 800.

Frequent flyer programs have gone downhill fast. They aren't what they used to be. Its harder to earn miles by flying, flights cost more miles and the perks are going away. Especially perks for

Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM

12,346 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Just as an FYI - "Miles" (as in distance) used as a measure of earning and using ff miles is quickly becomming irrelevant in the world of frequent flyer programs. Soon it will all be based on cost. Usually the cost of a flight is related to the distance, but not always.
So, regardless of the distance - if the flight cost more - you earn more frequent flyers. Likewise if the flight costs more - it will also take more frequent flyer miles to get a free flight. If a 7,000 mile flight to Seoul from New York cost less $s then a 500 mile flight to Chicago, then the flight to Chicago will take more frequent flyer miles.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:24 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,941,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just as an FYI - "Miles" (as in distance) used as a measure of earning and using ff miles is quickly becomming irrelevant in the world of frequent flyer programs. Soon it will all be based on cost. Usually the cost of a flight is related to the distance, but not always.
So, regardless of the distance - if the flight cost more - you earn more frequent flyers. Likewise if the flight costs more - it will also take more frequent flyer miles to get a free flight. If a 7,000 mile flight to Seoul from New York cost less $s then a 500 mile flight to Chicago, then the flight to Chicago will take more frequent flyer miles.
That's certainly been the trend for US programs on the earning side but I'm not convinced others are going to follow Delta on the redemption side, especially since few of the non-US FFPs have shown willingness to go that route so far and it's easy for US earners to transfer to those non-US programs. It's easy enough for airlines to sell miles to CC companies and other partners and make them harder to redeem through lower availability and redemptions.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:50 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,453,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Well it used to be clearly better to book award tickets for the Mexico trip and pay for the Japan one, because you would earn more miles. With the earning based on dollars spent now its not as clear.

Personally I would book the mexico trip with miles and get your dates set for the Japan trip and start checking flights to NRT and HND. You can occasionally find them in the 700s round trip from Chicago. Chicago is one of the cities I regularly check for deals so I know I saw one a few weeks ago on ANA for around 740 or 750. I saw an american one too but it was closer to 800.

Frequent flyer programs have gone downhill fast. They aren't what they used to be. Its harder to earn miles by flying, flights cost more miles and the perks are going away. Especially perks for
Dunno why part of this got cutoff....anyways...

Especially perks for the low and middle tiers. We fly frequent enough to get gold status on united and some years platinum or 1K. Honestly now we save more money by just flying whomever has the cheapest fair.

Credit card spending is the easiest way to earn miles for free flights now. Funneling as many payments as possible through a miles earning card, especially if you have a small business, will get you more miles than anyone else but the frequent business flyers. For the most part though frequent flyer programs are pretty much useless for the bargain hunting coach class flyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or