U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:43 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,165,509 times

Advertisements

I have traveled. With kids. But that was when I was in my 20's and 30's. I was in much better health, with stamina and...wait for it..KNEES!!!!
I am 53 now. It is unbelievable what a difference 7 years and peri-menopause has made in my quality of life.

I used to drive 900 miles in one day....and enjoy it! Now, not so much. It causes me joint pain and discomfort. That, and I live with MS.

Now days..I stick much closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 PM

15,233 posts, read 8,527,906 times
I'm personally amazed at how different I feel in my late 40's-early 50's compared to even early 40's...doctors don't tell you the little aches and pains and changes in stamina that can occur. It kind of creeps up on you. You can definitely keep traveling, but no more 18 hour days on the go every minute with something planned in the morning, afternoon, and night.

Now I usually schedule a half or all day or museums/shopping/sightseeing followed by a day on the beach or at the pool...every other day being active is a good mix of getting out with some relaxation too. So essentially, I'm probably only seeing about half or maybe up to 2/3's of what I might have been seeing in my 30's.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:45 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,459,684 times
I know people in their 50s who aren't totally disabled, but they have bad knees, hips, arthritis, etc. Things that make walking longer distances in a flat city far more difficult, let alone hiking up Kilimanjaro or whatever. My 62 year old MIL can't make it more than a .5km anywhere due to her auto-immune disorder she developed around the age of 45.

I tend to prioritize what I want to do travelwise based on what I can do now compared to what I could still do if I didn't have the same stamina for walking anymore at an older age. For example, when I went on my Alaskan cruise last year, I had a choice of excursions. One of them was a wildlife glacier safari where you got to hike out to a glacier. The other was a train ride into the Yukon. Well, this is a no brainer. Sure, I was interested in the train, but it was something I could also do if I were in much worse physical condition. So I went on the glacier safari and glad I did. The glacier probably won't even exist in 30 years at the rate it is melting!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I see a lot of folks on these forums saying the time to travel is when you're young, but I am really puzzled as to why. I'd be interested to hear from especially people in their 50s and 60s in particular - do you find that you are unable to enjoy travels due to your age? Or is this a myth?

If late middle age is not an impediment to being able to enjoy your travels, then what is the big deal about putting it off (in order to get ahead faster in terms of money or career issues)?

From what I can tell, the odds of death or long-term disability before age 55 are not all that high - I just don't get the whole "You could die tomorrow" argument.

I am considering making a very carefully calculated decision to put it off in order to save up to pay cash for my first house. What are the risks, and should I worry?
I don't think people complaining about it being harder to travel as we age are referring to people in their 50s and 60s. that is about the best time to travel. Most of us in that age group are empty nesters and have more funds allowing us to travel. It is people who reach their mid 70s that find travel more difficult.I know we loved all out travel until a few years ago. Now,because of physical challenges we find fighting the airports a pain; we find the seats on the plane more uncomfortable, we find our finances more limited and driving in places we are not accomtom to challenging. We have pretty much decided that cruising is the best vacation for us, followed by vacations we take with our kids where they can do the driving.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 PM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
I was one of these "I'm going to die tomorrow" types, even in my early 20's. It helped being part of the hippie set, back then, when there was so much peer pressure to do a backpacking trip to either Europe or Asia. I did one of those in 1972, for 6 weeks, and what it did was give me fuel to see more of the world, as it was an anti-materialism, anti-establishment type of period of time.

Over the years, I've been all over the world, to all 50 states, even to 30 of the 31 states of Mexico, and now, at 65, dealing with COPD, knee issues, and the fact that you lose patience as you get older, I'm glad I did all my world/domestic travels when I did, and there's very little, if anything, left on my bucket wish list! The only country I didn't cover in South America was Colombia, so maybe, maybe I may just do that yet some day!

Reading is another form of travel where you don't need a passport or visa, so from now on, I mostly travel via reading, or doing very short trips somewhere, but not by car!

It's been said, nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel, and all this travel has certainly brought me closer to eternity and a much happier death!

But to each his own!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,266,076 times
I traveled all over the US and Canada from my early twenties until my early forties. Most of the travel was while in the trucking business but I also managed a lot of miles during that time in cars, boats and motorcycles. I spent one summer when I was in my early thirties living out of a backpack and sleeping bag salvaging wrecked aircraft in Alaska. I enjoyed it immensely.

Forty years later I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere. I do get up two or three times during the night and make a trip to my bathroom. I confine my travels outside of my home to the places I visit in a good book or DVD.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:06 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,466,688 times
Turning 50 shortly, still just as happy to sleep in a tent in the mountains, or in a berth on a small boat as a hotel. Hiking and sailing would be my preferd ways to travel. When my daughter is a bit older and on her own I would like to pick up a small inexpensive (25 foot or so) sailboat and slowly explore the Atlantic coast from Scandinavia down to the Med. I would love to do a Long bicycle tour some time as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 AM

317 posts, read 236,613 times
I'm 55 and wife is 60 - we are living in China as i'm a teacher there - plus have about 2 1/2 months a year just to travel. Still have the energy and time (we finished a 1 month journey to India/Sri Lanka) and this summer will do South China, Thailand, and Malaysia. But I might do just 1 or 2 things per day - and turn in early in the evening. The older i get - the earlier to bed and rise it is.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:36 AM

733 posts, read 650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I see a lot of folks on these forums saying the time to travel is when you're young, but I am really puzzled as to why. I'd be interested to hear from especially people in their 50s and 60s in particular - do you find that you are unable to enjoy travels due to your age? Or is this a myth?

If late middle age is not an impediment to being able to enjoy your travels, then what is the big deal about putting it off (in order to get ahead faster in terms of money or career issues)?

From what I can tell, the odds of death or long-term disability before age 55 are not all that high - I just don't get the whole "You could die tomorrow" argument.

I am considering making a very carefully calculated decision to put it off in order to save up to pay cash for my first house. What are the risks, and should I worry?

Shouldn't put it off.

I never thought my knees would go out early, or that I'd have arthritis in most of my joints soon after, in young middle age.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:24 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Staying in back-packer class hotels with the bathroom down the hall on a different floor, or riding long overnight trips on overcrowded buses, those get a bit challenging when you have to get up several times every night to pee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or