U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM

28,318 posts, read 40,066,322 times

Advertisements

^^ This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:20 PM

10,832 posts, read 8,119,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can build up your stamina with daily exercise. Try yoga, swimming, or even walking for an hour a day. Give it six months and I guarantee you will have more stamina and less aches and pains. Movement lubricates joints and the less of it you do, the stiffer and sorer you will be.

We are both in our 50's and both exercise 5-10 hours a week. My other half is a runner--too much impact for me. I practice yoga and powerwalk.

Give it a try. At your age unless you have major underlying health issues you should still have plenty of energy and endurance.
^^^^ This.
I'm 66, DH is 62, and and we take several long (10-30 day) trips a year, mostly road trips in the US.

He walks a hilly course, I run-walk a level one several times a week. We both lift moderate weights, he stretches regularly, I do yoga daily.
It's only when we slack off for more than a week or so that stiffness sets in.
All in all we're more fit and energetic than we were in our 40s, because we didn't take care of ourselves then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You can definitely keep traveling, but no more 18 hour days on the go every minute with something planned in the morning, afternoon, and night.

Now I usually schedule a half or all day or museums/shopping/sightseeing followed by a day on the beach or at the pool...every other day being active is a good mix of getting out with some relaxation too. So essentially, I'm probably only seeing about half or maybe up to 2/3's of what I might have been seeing in my 30's.
Since we're retired and don't have to cram everything into a week's vacation, we have plenty of time to do everything we want. But even when we were in our 30s, we alternated active experiences with relaxing ones. We didn't do 18-hour days!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,798 posts, read 40,237,425 times
So...what travel is really so tough to enjoy as you get older?

nearing age 60, we still travel 50%+ of the time... (always have, hope to continue)

Oh, the Simple pleasures of youth...;
  1. Co-ed showers are not nearly as desirable once you have little kids with you (or even after you have had kids...)
  2. Camping is not as pleasant after you have done it a few thousand nights...
  3. Not as willing to stand out in the rain and wash dishes
  4. Bicycle touring is a whole lot more painful as you age + Getting hurt is more likely (not as quick and nimble (and flexible... I broke a leg for the FIRST time last month, tho I have 'adventured' for 50+ yrs))
  5. Destination adventure that WAS exciting at 20 is not quite as exciting at 50 (cliff diving and the like)
  6. Kids... Responsibilities (eldercare / job / yard and garden / remodeling)
  7. You've been a WHOLE lot more places at age 50, than you had at age 20... BTDT syndrome
  8. I find that I appreciate heat and windshield wipers more at 50+, than I did when commuting (in the snow) on a motorcycle at age 16.

stuff changes:
Meds, insurance, responsibilities, energy, and PEOPLE (very crowded at recreational sites compared to 50 yrs ago)

Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 PM

5,364 posts, read 3,081,012 times
I am 81 and my wife is 80. When ever seeing something involves walking, our first question is "how far"? Second question is "is it up hill"?

We are glad we took trips to Europe, the Caribbean, Australia and Mexico while we could.

We have both had both knees replaced and now I back problems and she has neuropathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or