Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,758,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I see a lot of folks on these forums saying the time to travel is when you're young, but I am really puzzled as to why. I'd be interested to hear from especially people in their 50s and 60s in particular - do you find that you are unable to enjoy travels due to your age? Or is this a myth?

If late middle age is not an impediment to being able to enjoy your travels, then what is the big deal about putting it off (in order to get ahead faster in terms of money or career issues)?

From what I can tell, the odds of death or long-term disability before age 55 are not all that high - I just don't get the whole "You could die tomorrow" argument.

I am considering making a very carefully calculated decision to put it off in order to save up to pay cash for my first house. What are the risks, and should I worry?
I just finished an otherwise great trip to Washington DC. Because I couldn't get a late enough train into New Rochelle I took a train to PennStation, NYC. I took a two-subway connection to Grand Central to pick up Metro North.

I am 58. While I was able to handle the transfers, including running up and down subway stairs with 36 lbs. of luggage, I could see where this could become a problem later on. Age might have restricted my options, such as forcing me to come back on an earlier train. That would have meant missing some events.

I do see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 AM

23,161 posts, read 26,118,923 times
It's not just the age that is the point but if, right now, at whatever age you are , if you have no physical problems take advantage of it.
While there are certainly people that have stayed problem-free well into older ages, the odds are that the older you get the more likely of developing some condition that will curtail your activities. Doing whatever you like without having to accommodate even the most minor condition is optimal.
jbgusa gave a great example. If you want to experiment, take your walk/jog/run tomorrow with one running shoe and one flip flop and see how much just that small thing changes your experience.
As far as saving for a house, why not do both? Split the available money into two pots.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 9 days ago)

43,451 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I see a lot of folks on these forums saying the time to travel is when you're young, but I am really puzzled as to why. I'd be interested to hear from especially people in their 50s and 60s in particular - do you find that you are unable to enjoy travels due to your age? Or is this a myth?

If late middle age is not an impediment to being able to enjoy your travels, then what is the big deal about putting it off (in order to get ahead faster in terms of money or career issues)?

From what I can tell, the odds of death or long-term disability before age 55 are not all that high - I just don't get the whole "You could die tomorrow" argument.

I am considering making a very carefully calculated decision to put it off in order to save up to pay cash for my first house. What are the risks, and should I worry?
In general traveling at an older age can be just enjoyable as a younger age if one's health is okay. But one can't know in advance if they will have health issues when they are older that will make traveling more difficult. In my case, I have a partial tear in my left shoulder (that will never completely heal) so now I have to be careful when lifting anything on my left side and in particular when trying to put my carry-on (with both hands) in the overhead compartments when flying commercially.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
While this is somewhat true, the part about movement is really dependent on your youth, I think.

I used to run, jump, everything when I was a teenager. I was really hard on my lower body because I could be. Squatting over 500 lbs at one point. Thing is, I wasn't doing any of it right. My form was all wrong, and I wasn't warming up correctly.

Fast forward, and I can feel the difference. I still have strength in my lower body, but my knees and ankles simply can't keep up with how I used to be. I can run without too much issue, but every now and then I'll just get really bad pain in the joints. I actually was running after a dog that escaped, and everything felt perfect, but all of a sudden I just lost balance and bit it. I was up and fine, but that had never happened before.

I think largely, if you didn't do it right as a teenager growing up, it doesn't matter how hard you work when you're older. Things can and will catch up to you in the end. Unfortunately.

Weight also plays a big factor. I used to be around 160, now hovering around 190. It might not seem a lot, but as athletes will attest to, if your comfortable walking weight is 175, that 15 lbs makes ALL the difference. Your joints are just working so much harder at simple tasks.
Try non-impact exercise such as yoga or swimming. Both are very accessible even to those with bad joints.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Some thoughts.

1. If you die before you travel, who cares. You are dead so it doesn't matter.

2. Lots of people die in their 50s. 1% of the population dies at 59 which is twice as high as age 49.

3. If you are healthy, you can enjoy travel in your 60s and 70s just as much as when you were younger. I have a friend who is 72 with bad knees and he goes to Africa, Nepal, etc. every year.

4. The only thing that's different for me as compared to when I was younger is I don't stay up late when traveling. No more 1 AM nightclubs, etc.

So I vote for buying your house. You have years to enjoy it.
I'm 60. I can go to 1 a.m. nightclubs (went to one last night) but can't rough it in the wilderness. I don't have any specific handicaps, I just expect a good dinner and comfortable bed, and quick access to medical care if something comes up.

Fortunately, I love Europe and there is plenty of comfort and luxury mixed with adventure and exoticism in a relatively small area. I may never see Africa or large parts of Asia (I've been to China and Japan).

Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
I'll report back to you on this in about six weeks. I'm 76, legally blind, and going to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Armenia and Turkey next week. Traveling alone, independent, no advance arrangements except some of the air tickets, no connected devices, no knowledge of the local languages. Traveling Marco Polo style, but without the train of bearers -- Thirteen pounds (6 Kg) of baggage and a white cane. Expecting to come in under a budget of $40 a day.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-20-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 07:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Peripheral Neuropathy and vertigo makes it difficult for me. Being in constant pain (doctors don't know why) is not a blessing either.

But we're going to Europe for 10-14 days next year.

Not going to stop me, but it will slow me down a bit.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
river cruises are the best.
the worst are things that are ego booster tours. too many people want to do iron man stuff at 70.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'll report back to you on this in about six weeks. I'm 76, legally blind, and going to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Armenia and Turkey next week. Traveling alone, independent, no advance arrangements except some of the air tickets, no connected devices, no knowledge of the local languages. Traveling Marco Polo style, but without the train of bearers -- Thirteen pounds (6 Kg) of baggage and a white cane. Expecting to come in under a budget of $40 a day.
Now that this thread has resurfaced, I'm back. I changed the itinerary, and added Moldova and Ukraine to the above. Spent most of the time in Kyrgyzstan. I chickened out and bought a tablet the day before I left, so I had onine access for booking ahead, research and email.

My age was no problem, but being blind is a challenge. But everywhere, everyone was wonderful about helping me and accommodating me. Not knowing Russian language is a big handicap in any former Soviet republic. Stayed mostly in hostels, and used taxis a lot more than I ever would have in the past.

Older people are respected in that part of the world, and it is quite a lot easier for old people to travel and be paid attention by the younger generations.

Relevant to this thread, I met a 75-year old Italian in Kyrgyzstan who bought a $300 bicycle in China, and rode it 1,000 kilometers over the mountains to Kyrgyzstan.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
river cruises are the best.
the worst are things that are ego booster tours. too many people want to do iron man stuff at 70.
Iron man stuff for me is a nice bottle of wine and a good meal on a sidewalk cafe anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel