U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM

27,316 posts, read 15,780,516 times

Advertisements

The line suck but I love the Disney parks. You just need to figure out the work arounds whether it is early/late hours, fastpasses, touring plans, etc. The first time you go you REALLY want to hit everything. Eventually you figure out a mixture of favorites, new attractions, new to you attractions and what has short lines and/or air conditioning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:14 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The line suck but I love the Disney parks. You just need to figure out the work arounds whether it is early/late hours, fastpasses, touring plans, etc. The first time you go you REALLY want to hit everything. Eventually you figure out a mixture of favorites, new attractions, new to you attractions and what has short lines and/or air conditioning...
Except when you are soaking wet That was funny they had all the fans on high, made everyone freezing! At one point I looked out from the line and thought it was storming. It was a woman standing near the fan.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Universal and Disney to me are different. We enjoyed Universal, got the fast pass, which made short lines for every ride.
I hated Universal. It was twice as crowded as Disney, especially in the Harry Potter areas. Couldn't even move around Diagon Alley. We tried to do the rides, but most of the HP rides didn't even offer fast passes (or whatever Universal calls them). The other themed areas didn't hold any interest for us. We finally gave up and spent the rest of the day shopping around Downtown Disney.

Your confusion over Disney... that's how I feel about Universal.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 AM

8,727 posts, read 7,682,608 times
The secret to going to Disney is drugs.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
Those who do Disney (a lot) like you mention understand some of the nuances and plan plan plan. There is a method to their madness... My wife is a big Disney buff and we have been a few dozen times with the kids. I have never waited 2 hours for a ride! But then again, we have never gone in Mid June... i think the latest we have ever gone is late May a few times. The best time to go is in the fall but that is not always possible with young kids in school.

I enjoy going and agree that it is not all about the rides. Plus once you have been several times it easy to say, 'we'll catch that ride next time, it's too busy right now'. You have to use the Magic Hours, rope drop and fast passes to the max in order to get the premium rides done more than once! I think being at the Early Morning (extra) Hours Park at rope drop is key to getting the most done...

I bet the next time you go will be a better experience because you will have a good idea of what to do when and what not to do.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 AM

457 posts, read 454,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Fun fact - Did you know that there is only one place in the entire continent of Europe that you can get even ONE fast pass? That's right, it's Disneyland Paris!

Have you ever stood outside in line for hours for the attractions in Rome, or Venice, or Paris? Once you get inside, what do your children think of the ROI to stand 20 feet away from some painting or fresco they don't care about with 500 strangers blocking their view? Have you bought a $10 shot of espresso in St. Marks Square? Looked for a public restroom strolling the streets of Rome? Found it to be a 'squat' toilet?

Europe is great for history loving adults, for many kids it's as boring as staying at Auntie Josephine's condo in Duluth.
Actually, you can get front of the line passes for many museums and attractions in Europe. I've done this for the Eiffel tower, the Academia museum, and the Vatican museum among other places. You do have to plan, but not near as much in advance. My fast pass for the Eiffel tower I got the day before I went.

My children loved both Disney and Europe. Just as you can entertain children by looking for details in the Disney parks, they also love looking for details on the streets of Rome or Venice. They loved playing the post card game in museums. (Get the book of "greatest hits" postcards at the giftshop before you enter the museum, have them find them in the museum...) They liked posing like the statues for pictures. They wanted to spend hours at the Trevi fountain. They liked dancing to the musicians in St. Marks square, or finding gargoyls on cathedrals.

When traveling with children we did not dismiss the charm of amusement parks. If you like Disney you will be entralled with Gardaland on the shores of Lake Garda in Italy. It is much like Disney at a fraction of the price. Tivoli in Copenhagen is another treat. Or even just rides, like the Eye in London. (And yes, get a fast pass for this.)

I think those that really love Disney go enough times that the planning is not as intimidating as it is for first timers. My sister knows when and where to get reservations for meals, and fastpasses, and makes the Disney experience pretty seamless. I went without meal reservations once, figuring we'd just find a food when we were hungry, and that did not work out.

Disney is also good at special needs. For those in who have allergy or need a wheelchair or have issues with standing in line Disney makes accomodations that you won't find in a lot of places. Even strollers would be a challenge in Venice. My vegetarian friends that speak French have trouble in Paris.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

10,778 posts, read 13,677,988 times
Their resorts are nice. It is a cultural black hole, but a vacation there is escapism, not cultural.

We avoided lines by going early in the morning. leaving during the heat of the day, going to the resort pool, eating lunch, napping, and coming back to the park after 4pm or so. We were able to get off certain rides and go right back on and stayed until closing.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

27,316 posts, read 15,780,516 times
Quote:
Except when you are soaking wet That was funny they had all the fans on high, made everyone freezing! At one point I looked out from the line and thought it was storming. It was a woman standing near the fan.
Well that is partially due to the rainstorms I imagine as well as some water rides.

The first time I went to Florida for Disney World, there was no Fastpass. By 2000, they introduced it but it was plan that day and you couldn't get another the time elapsed. Then it was a two hour or your fastpass window. Now it is book at home and then set if you have open for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I hated Universal. It was twice as crowded as Disney, especially in the Harry Potter areas. Couldn't even move around Diagon Alley. We tried to do the rides, but most of the HP rides didn't even offer fast passes (or whatever Universal calls them). The other themed areas didn't hold any interest for us. We finally gave up and spent the rest of the day shopping around Downtown Disney.

Your confusion over Disney... that's how I feel about Universal.
I've never been to the wizarding world, I have no plans to. The problem is the size was a creative decision by Rawlings to be small. Disney originally was looking to do it but Rawlings wanted what she got in Universal which caused obvious logistical problems.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,656,064 times
Exactly as others have stated, to do Disney right, you need to plan well in advance and stay on property. You can book your Fastpasses 180 days before your trip, guaranteeing you get the rides you want. You can book your dining 180 days in advance. Etc..

Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,665,569 times
If it's the Happiest place on Earth, how can you be so sad ?
I understand the conflicting cognitive dissonance as I own a lot of Disney stock but I won't go there or buy their stuff and I live less then 10 miles from Disneyland.
They're losing their magic !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel