U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
They are quirky compared to Universal. You can only choose three rides ahead of time. Then you have to stand in line at a kiosk to chose your next fast pass. (One at a time) Many times they are gone for the popular rides, so you have to wait in the line. IMO it's quirky.

Like I sad of was pouring rain. There weren't any characters walking about. We didn't see any helpers, everyone working there seemed to have disappeared. A rainy day I am sure interfered with the experience.

I don't need to be attacked for not enjoying it. I am asking an honest question. People rave about Disney, and I don't get it. There is no signage telling you where the rides are. (Maps were soaked). We did our fast pass rides, went to stand in line for space mountain. After an hour we were told the ride was broken. We left, went to couple of attractions, back in line for space mountain, broke down again.

The park was flooded on areas, so we were soaked head to toe, rain coming down and standing in long lines. Just one of those days. Thanks those for the insight.
Ha, a few years ago another Disney thread where I posted just about the same issues, minus the rain, you mentioned and was almost burned at the stake....lol

And this all American company/resort laid off most of their IT workers in October, the last task they had...training their replacements from over seas. Yeah I know lots of companies do this...but still...

http://www.computerworld.com/article...n-workers.html

Last edited by njkate; 06-16-2015 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

3,279 posts, read 6,604,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The secret to enjoying Disney is to go when school is in session, and avoid the summer months altogether.
^^ This. I went the week after Labor Day and there were no lines.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Sadly... it's been a long time. I'm trying to talk my 12 year old in to eventually going. Unfortunately, he is in no hurry to ride roller coasters in any capacity, and therefore I'm not paying the price of admission that they're charging to not ride anything. It would be nice if Geauga Lake still existed, as it would have been a good place to start him, as the roller coasters there were not on the level of thrills as Cedar Point's. It's where I got my start as a kid.

One day though....I'll get back there!
Roller Coasters are only a VERY SMALL part of Disney.. each park has 1 or 2.. You can go and not ride a single roller coaster and still have a Great time!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,472,347 times
You go when it is not crowded, like the beginning of October. You don't try to do it all in one day, and you relax. If you run like mad from ride to ride, it would be miserable. You stay in the park so that you get extra hours, and you never have to move your car. People that love Disney, like me, know how to do it. I always stay in one of the resorts and try to stay out of the parks at peak time. I buy the park hopper pass, so that if one park is too crowded I can go to another. Epcot is awesome as you become a grown up. The animals at the Animal Kingdom are worth a look. There is just so much to do besides rides.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM

442 posts, read 380,298 times
We have gone to WDW well over 20 times. It is more than just the rides, to us. It is the entire atmosphere. We have had trips where we never stepped foot into a park. So much to do and see on property without having to pay (I agree...) a ridiculous admission price.

Our last trip, we got everything done and were out of Magic Kingdom by 11am. That included breakfast, a ton of rides, a few shows (Hall of Presidents!). During Spring Break.

It's all about the planning and maneuvering. We had an early morning breakfast at Be Our Guest. Were done before the park opened. So, when it did open, we were already next to the rides...beat the hordes of people by a good 10 minutes. Which meant we had a 10 minute (all the time in the world, in this case!) jump on all the "headliners".

For money wise - Disney ALWAYS comes out cheaper for us than any other vacation. Airfare into MCO is usually 25% cheaper, to start, then anywhere else. And, we stay on property for under $150/night...usually under $100. Like I said, we don't' do the parks each time...plenty to keep us busy without them. We resort hop, mini golf, spend a day at Fort Wilderness, Downtown Disney, take the transportation, have date nights while the kids are in kids clubs, swim our hearts out, bowl, and eat till we burst. And, it all still comes out cheaper than a long weekend in my own neck of the woods.

I am sorry you did not love it...not everyone does. I am glad your daughter did, though!

PS - our favorite time to go is the week before Labor Day. The weather is fantastic (if you like hot) and the lines are short. Also, prices are way down on accommodations and such. I would never suggest anyone go for their first time in June/July. Ew.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:19 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Roller Coasters are only a VERY SMALL part of Disney.. each park has 1 or 2.. You can go and not ride a single roller coaster and still have a Great time!
brownsfan was referring to Cedar Point.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,619,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I understand what you are saying, however really we were able to get on five rides for the day. Waited in line for two hours for most of them I am curious what people find fun about the place, spending that much money to stand and wait.
We avoid the lines; we're annual pass holders and so we don't go for a whole day at once type thing.

We book fast passes in advance.

We choose the rides we want to go to before we get there.

HOWEVER,

I hate other people's children screaming in my ear all day, smelling disgusting arm pits in lines, getting hit by those fat people on motorized scooters, getting cut in line, walking brainlessly through 90+ degrees.

I HATE people in lines chatting and playing on phones instead of moving so the line can move!

The parks have become really overcrowded in the last few years. The parks have been sold out to Brazilian groups which are more rude than you can imagine, and who can't pee in the toilet, but rather on the SEATS in the LADIES bathrooms....

I hate that my children are charged as adults when they don't eat like adults or do anything that is considered ADULT.

I HATE the FOOD throughout the parks.

The cast members have become INSANELY RUDE, to match the crowds. There is no customer service.

Unfortunately, we live here, and there isn't anything else to do. Bush Gardens is even more horrible, Sea World removed the water fountains and they make you pay $2.50+ for water....

So, we had to choose the lesser evil.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 PM

390 posts, read 231,559 times
What time of day did you show up at the park OP? We went to Disney over Christmas, the busiest time of the year, and we didn't wait in line that long. If you get there when they first open the waits are more like 10-20 minutes. Combine that with advance fast passes targeting noon and afternoon you can do a lot of attractions. Late afternoon toward early evening was when it got super crowded. I guess the locals were getting off work. By that time we were exhausted and ready to leave.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would love to take my grandchildren but living on a fixed income and just cannot do it they have outpriced theirselves with my budget . I know a lot of low income people would love to take their kids but it is just not doable on a low income budget . I don't get how people can do it over and over again that is a lot of money .
My relatives that live in Florida can go "over and over again" because they buy annual passes.

"Hey honey, can we go to France for dinner tonight?" "Sure."

But the annual pass for Florida residents is much less than for the rest of us.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Unfortunately, we live here, and there isn't anything else to do. Bush Gardens is even more horrible, Sea World removed the water fountains and they make you pay $2.50+ for water....

So, we had to choose the lesser evil.
You live "here": Florida or Orlando? If you live in Florida, especially near a cost, then there's plenty of things you can do that don't involve an amusement park. But if you live in Orlando.... well ... you have my sympathies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel