U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,316,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!

Yeah so we did Disney once.....
Lol once is more than enough when it comes to Disney

It's easily the most overrated, over hyped & ridiculously overpriced places on Earth....
And then the crowds

There's way cooler places out there, more fun, more cultured, more laid back & more genuine....
I think Disney is most appealing for the easily amused.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 09:28 AM

17,053 posts, read 17,361,139 times
Quote:
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It was raining so I think there weren't any characters. That messed terribly with the atmosphere. We tried to make the best of it!
Although I haven't been there in a while, I believe that most of the characters are now in their own attractions. So that everyone will be able to see Mickey Mouse (as there are several different back rooms each with their own Mickey Mouse) rather than one Mickey Mouse standing on Main Street.

I have been places during pouring rain and I agree that it can really "dampen your spirits" (sorry for the pun).

Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM

6,851 posts, read 3,720,840 times
Quote:
I don't need to be attacked for not enjoying it. I am asking an honest question. People rave about Disney, and I don't get it. . ...

You're not the only one who doesn't get the Disney thing. My in=laws live near there and MIL loved it, so we went multiple times. But I never really enjoyed it. Took the kids once and they said the same thing. Even DD when she was about 7 Just didn't see the point in standing in line for an hour for a 30 second ride on Dumbo. But don't let the responses get to you. MIL was so in love with Disney you couldn't disagree about anything without it sending her into orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yeah so we did Disney once.....
Lol once is more than enough when it comes to Disney

It's easily the most overrated, over hyped & ridiculously overpriced places on Earth....
And then the crowds

There's way cooler places out there, more fun, more cultured, more laid back & more genuine....
I think Disney is most appealing for the easily amused.....
I agree with you. The sad part is Disney has now so concentrated Florida vacations into one place that many of the more charming smaller parks have closed down.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,815,471 times
Quote:
Fast passes for the Magic Kingdom are quirky. You can select three rides in advance, then it is the luck of the draw. We didn't stay all day. I am sure we would have been able to do a lot more if we had.

Definitely the rain put a damper on things. My daughter loved it, that's what matters!
Do you really think it's fair, even to yourself, to judge an experience like Disney by spending a partial day during torrential rains in the park? Do you think that's how people enjoy their day there?

You wouldn't judge the Ritz-Carlton by the experience you had checking in at 8PM and leaving at 3 in the morning when you had the flu, would you? 'I didn't get a restful nights sleep'.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 06-13-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 10:37 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,815,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You're not the only one who doesn't get the Disney thing. My in=laws live near there and MIL loved it, so we went multiple times. But I never really enjoyed it. Took the kids once and they said the same thing. Even DD when she was about 7 Just didn't see the point in standing in line for an hour for a 30 second ride on Dumbo. But don't let the responses get to you. MIL was so in love with Disney you couldn't disagree about anything without it sending her into orbit.

I agree with you. The sad part is Disney has now so concentrated Florida vacations into one place that many of the more charming smaller parks have closed down.
So why did you make your daughter wait for a ride she wasn't interested in?

The charm of Disney is in its atmosphere; if you don't appreciate that then you won't have a good time.

Finally, Walt Disney World has not been the deciding factor in the attrition of the small parks around Florida. People simply don't feel interested in glass bottom boats, synchronized swimming in mermaid outfits, waltzing waters, alligator farms, or small time zoos and botanical gardens. Much like the 'hot sauce' phenomenon, people want a thrill, not a restful vacation to Weeki Wachee.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times
Quote:
Um...where did I say we didn't plan ahead of time? Maybe it's just the way you post, they read as condescending. A crowded place with long lines is not something we personally enjoy.
I asked if you planned in advance, and you skipped answering, so I assumed you hadn't. My apologies. Still, you went for part of a day when the weather was terrible. No, you're not going to enjoy it, and you're not going to "get it."

Sounds to me like you just posted to *itch about Disney and you aren't really interested in anyone having a different opinion.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,439,949 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, however really we were able to get on five rides for the day. Waited in line for two hours for most of them I am curious what people find fun about the place, spending that much money to stand and wait.
I don't understand what is so great about the place even when you CAN walk right in!

I find it mindless, artificial, expensive, juvenile, and repetitive beyond belief, and only went as a travel companion to others. It baffles me that it's still in business.

NEVER AGAIN!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM

15,026 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I asked if you planned in advance, and you skipped answering, so I assumed you hadn't. My apologies. Still, you went for part of a day when the weather was terrible. No, you're not going to enjoy it, and you're not going to "get it."

Sounds to me like you just posted to *itch about Disney and you aren't really interested in anyone having a different opinion.
I am not bitching about it and apologize if it is coming off that way. I am genuinely curios. We enjoyed parts, but the cost to me is insane. We chartered a fishing boat during vacation, less expensive and to us, 10 times more fun.

I definitely don't think we got the best experience because of the rain. Putting that aside, if the weather was beautiful it would have been more crowded. I am asking for people to explain why they enjoy it. One poster mentioned the characters was why their family enjoyed it.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
I have some friends in FL who live near WDW, They get season passes, go "Early and Often"

Do one or two things then leave.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,695,642 times
In the pouring rain on a school night in December is the best time to go to Disneyland; I'm pretty sure my friend & I were the only ones in the park! No lines for any of the rides. We had a blast That was one night when I was 12 years old, my dad dropped my friend & I off at Disneyland California. Best time ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel