U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:40 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,503,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
Those of us who do this over and over again for days (including me and my family) don't go in the summer. Too hot and too crowded. Also helps to stay on property or nearby so you can get to the park early and get out of the park in the worst part of the day.

It may seem like a lot of effort to cope with the weather and the crowds, but as others have said the place is extremely well run with lots of attention to detail. For some of us this makes it worth the effort to find and apply effective strategies.

And the kids (usually) love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:56 PM

188 posts, read 107,775 times
Disney is a blast if you go when the time is right. I'm usually done with one park by 1 pm, having gone on all the rides more than once. Then I park-hop to EPCOT to pig out on great food and to shop. I also am a FL resident, so for $230 I can visit the park all year long (exclusions apply, lol. But still a good deal)

My secret is to go during the week (never visit Disney on a weekend), get there when the park opens, go to the back and work my way to the front, and check the online calendars for the lowest-crowd days. Christmas and summer are swamped. Mid-January and September are dead. November is moderate. Avoid the park with the extra magic hours (everyone flocks there) and avoid parks that are doing things that draw a crowd (Halloween parade, "festivals").

Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
Even with the lines and the heat I still enjoyed it as a child and enjoyed it as an adult as well. I did like it when I went as an adult when the parks were open until 2 in the morning. After 9 the families clear out and there is hardly anyone under the age of 15, it's cooler, and the lines for rides are short.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:28 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
I loved it as a kid! I think as an adult I am very impatient We thought it wouldn't be as crowded since much of the country is still in school. That for me was the part I couldn't stand. The first day we definitely got there too late. We figured since it was raining the park would be less crowded. Not!

I have to say they were not prepared for the rain. Huge puddles (7 inches deep 20) feet long run between the monorail and park and there are no signs in the park for the rides.

People that were working however were incredibly polite and seemed to genuinely enjoy working there. That made a huge difference.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,814,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yeah so we did Disney once.....
Lol once is more than enough when it comes to Disney

It's easily the most overrated, over hyped & ridiculously overpriced places on Earth....
And then the crowds

There's way cooler places out there, more fun, more cultured, more laid back & more genuine....
I think Disney is most appealing for the easily amused.....
Really? Why would you mention Disney if you are looking for a cultured, laid back, 'genuine' experience? It's not a private tour at some ancient Laotian temple in the middle of a rice paddy, and it doesn't pretend to be.

And it's amazing how many agoraphobics post on city-data. Not everyone is afraid of being with other people.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:07 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,814,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I don't understand what is so great about the place even when you CAN walk right in!

I find it mindless, artificial, expensive, juvenile, and repetitive beyond belief, and only went as a travel companion to others. It baffles me that it's still in business.

NEVER AGAIN!
I find people who use 'juvenile' as a pejorative term for a family attraction would make a poor traveling companion.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:18 PM

37,098 posts, read 45,622,935 times
So many factors are involved, and I have not been there for 20 years, so I hope that Disneyworld has not become less magical, like the rest of the world.
1. Did you go with young children? My son was 7 when we went (a perfect age) and seeing it through a child's eyes helps.
2. Did you stay on the property? This is essential to having a good experience. If you can take a break when the kids get tired, to nap or go to the pool, it makes all the difference.
3. Bring a lot of money. If you try to go on the cheap, you will be disappointed. We had some really great food there, but it wasn't cheap. The Sunday buffet at the Contemporary was memorable, and so was the Italian restaurant at Epcot.

We are retired now, and "the baby" is grown, but I would like to go back to Epcot again and dine at some of those restaurants, because they were really good.

All you young people, who were raised on video games are perhaps not attuned to waiting in line? Sorry.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM

37,098 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yeah so we did Disney once.....
Lol once is more than enough when it comes to Disney

It's easily the most overrated, over hyped & ridiculously overpriced places on Earth....
And then the crowds

There's way cooler places out there, more fun, more cultured, more laid back & more genuine....
I think Disney is most appealing for the easily amused.....
Ok, so what are they?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 PM

9,271 posts, read 9,225,779 times
Maybe it's a little like buying sugared children's cereals? If there's enough advertising, especially to children, it pulls people in.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Quote:
I am not bitching about it and apologize if it is coming off that way. I am genuinely curios. We enjoyed parts, but the cost to me is insane. We chartered a fishing boat during vacation, less expensive and to us, 10 times more fun.

I definitely don't think we got the best experience because of the rain. Putting that aside, if the weather was beautiful it would have been more crowded. I am asking for people to explain why they enjoy it. One poster mentioned the characters was why their family enjoyed it.
What people enjoy about it is that it's not just one park ... it's 4 parks, plus water parks, plus Downtown Disney, plus the attractions, activities, and amenities that many of the resorts offer ... all of very consistent and excellent quality. It's more than just rides, and it's not just geared toward children.

Everything is exceptionally well thought out and detail oriented. And they're very focused on guest satisfaction. From the time you're greeted at the airport, and your luggage picked up and delivered to your room for you, all the way until you check out and delivered back to the airport, they're attentive to all your needs. I went with my elderly parents a couple months ago, and they had a wonderful time, even in their 80s. What I really appreciated was Disney's attention to food allergy/sensitivity needs. At every restaurant we went to, upon finding out of my food allergy, they would send the chef out to speak to me and go through all of my options with me.

IMO, the folks who get the most out of WDW are the ones who stay for a few days and get a broader experience and avail themselves of a wider variety of activities and amenities, rather than those who just go to one park for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel