U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM

15,026 posts, read 21,743,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Basically it comes down to different preferences. If you're the kind of person who prefers communing with nature, you probably won't like Disney. Personally, a fishing expedition or a camping trip sounds terrible to me. Not something I would enjoy AT ALL. That doesn't mean that I don't "get" why other people would enjoy it. I just recognize that I'm not wired like them.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're reading in my post that's snarky or trying to make anyone feel crappy? I thought I was being very straightforward. There was no intended snark. Perhaps you're reading something into my posts that isn't there?
When you say "that doesn't mean I don't 'get' why other people would enjoy it." Comes across insulting. It can be hard to interpret writing. Sorry I misunderstood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
When you say "that doesn't mean I don't 'get' why other people would enjoy it." Comes across insulting. It can be hard to interpret writing. Sorry I misunderstood.
That wasn't a dig at you. I was just discussing how vacations come down to personal preferences. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for me, but just because I don't get it doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly valid option for them. Don't know how to say it any differently. **shrug**

Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,665,435 times
Quote:
My daughter loved it, that's what matters!

The secret to Disney is going in the middle of the week in the off-season. Ride lines can be short to non-existent. Eat earlier to avoid food lines. When you go through the turnstile GET A MAP. The map shows the locations for rides, food, rest rooms, character appearances, etc. It also gives show and parade times. Use phone apps to check wait-times for rides.

Plan ahead. Use the Disney website. Get one of the numerous books on the Disney parks. Google to find Disney fan sites on the web. (The people who post on Disney boards know EVERYTHING.) People who love Disney are Disney smart. They know the secrets and the tricks for getting the most out of it. If you go back... plan what you want to see with your daughter. Anticipating what you'll see can be half the fun.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-13-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Quote:
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
I understand your feelings. My kids are in college now. We went to Disney World twice while they were growing up.

I didn't hate it. And I had some fun. My children loved it - but no more than they would an ordinary mom and pop amusement park - or a place such a Cedar Point in Sandusky OH.

One trip was a gift from my parents. At least the lodging. The other was taken when they were a bit older and requested to visit again.

A Disney vacation is not inexpensive. It is amazing to me how many lower income working families make this a priority every year - or almost every year.

We took a less expensive and more educational family vacation to Costa Rica. Another to Nova Scotia. Each was less than Disney World
And more educational.

I think at this point it's kind of a North American right of passage. But I don't get the hype.

Epcot is no substitute for actually visiting foreign countries. None.

The first time we did go in the middle of the week in October. It wasn't packed and it was not oppressively hot.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,815,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Who said I made her? It was her choice. And a great learning experience. It was after spending all that time in line, then getting on, for about one cycle around and off again that she decided the ROI on her time wasn't there. Son did the same thing, just different ride.

Reading your posts in many ways you sound much like MIL. She just couldn't let anyone not like Disney. I don't see it as thrill vs restful vacation. There are lots of ways to have a thrilling vacation. But from the advertising, people don't know there is a Florida outside Orlando, and have no money left anyway.

But hey, you like it, ok. But it's not everyone's cup of Kool-Aid. For those of us who prefer a different means to the same end ...
The funny part is that personally, I find WDW to actually be quite restful, because when I have gone in the past my family stayed on premises and we had 10 day park hopper passes with access to the water parks and the miniature golf. These passes cost only a few dollars more than 4 day passes. We loved strolling through the parks, looking at the details of the architecture, the landscaping, as well as the attractions, watching traveling entertainment, taking in shows and rides as we saw fit with fast passes that we picked up along the way. The Animal Kingdom has amazing animals in breathtakingly beautiful settings, along with the regular Disney Magic. The food was always fresh, and the restaurants in Epcot are amazing to find in a theme park.

Trust me when I say that Disney is definitely not my religion, and Orlando is not Jonestown. I personally am not impressed with the Dumbo ride or its clone the Aladdin ride. And if you are on a tight schedule, you can forget about getting many character autographs in that cute little autograph book. But the Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, It's a Small World, The Jungle Cruise, Mission Space, and a couple of dozen additional attractions are world class and have a charm not easily found elsewhere.

Rushing Disney World is like living the movie Click with Adam Sandler. You miss the important stuff that holds it all together and makes it worth doing in the first place. It's like rushing through yoga class.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:31 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,392,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
In the pouring rain on a school night in December is the best time to go to Disneyland; I'm pretty sure my friend & I were the only ones in the park! No lines for any of the rides. We had a blast That was one night when I was 12 years old, my dad dropped my friend & I off at Disneyland California. Best time ever.
We had a similar experience this spring at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It was opening day (a Friday when we were on spring break but most districts were the next week), 42 degrees with a light mist. No lines at all for any rides, you only had to wait for it to finish so you could hop on. My son road the Lochness monster 3 times in a row without getting off the ride (and twice was the only person on the coaster). We are going back this summer and I am already conditioning them that it will be different this time.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 PM

4,127 posts, read 3,785,985 times
Quote:
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
You have to plan the trip. Some of us enjoy obsessively planning our vacations. We go at off season times. We got to the park that will be least crowded on any particular day. We make use of the limited admission hours. When the parks are most crowded, we relax at the pool at our chosen resort.

Anyone who does it without planning, is liable to have a miserable, expensive vacation, definitely not worth it. But the fact is, any vacation one does, is going to be a lot better if you research and plan it.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:47 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,392,894 times
Quote:
What people enjoy about it is that it's not just one park ... it's 4 parks, plus water parks, plus Downtown Disney, plus the attractions, activities, and amenities that many of the resorts offer ... all of very consistent and excellent quality. It's more than just rides, and it's not just geared toward children.

Everything is exceptionally well thought out and detail oriented. And they're very focused on guest satisfaction. From the time you're greeted at the airport, and your luggage picked up and delivered to your room for you, all the way until you check out and delivered back to the airport, they're attentive to all your needs. I went with my elderly parents a couple months ago, and they had a wonderful time, even in their 80s. What I really appreciated was Disney's attention to food allergy/sensitivity needs. At every restaurant we went to, upon finding out of my food allergy, they would send the chef out to speak to me and go through all of my options with me.

IMO, the folks who get the most out of WDW are the ones who stay for a few days and get a broader experience and avail themselves of a wider variety of activities and amenities, rather than those who just go to one park for a few hours
From my perspective, their ticket pricing scheme encourages a longer stay. Once you get to 4 days, each additional day is only an extra $10. So book 2 weeks and enjoy things at a more leisurely pace.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 PM

82 posts, read 284,182 times
Quote:
They are quirky compared to Universal. You can only choose three rides ahead of time. Then you have to stand in line at a kiosk to chose your next fast pass. (One at a time) Many times they are gone for the popular rides, so you have to wait in the line. IMO it's quirky.

Like I sad of was pouring rain. There weren't any characters walking about. We didn't see any helpers, everyone working there seemed to have disappeared. A rainy day I am sure interfered with the experience.

That's what I meant about understanding the fastpass system. Reading up online to find out what the most popular fastpass rides are, helps to understand which ones you need to get early because they go fast. These will also usually be the rides with the longest lines and so why it is important to get fast passes if you can for them. You can have one adult starting to wait in line for a less popular ride with the kids while the other goes to get the 'crucial' fast passes. We didn't exactly go in lowest season - once for New Year, once for spring break - by spring break we knew the system better and yeah I think the longest we stood in line was 45 minutes.

I'm sorry the rain spoilt it and that you found the staff unhelpful. We found almost without exception superlative service. After we left one spot with a very downbeat kid having been told "Pluto"'s shift was over so he wasn't available for more photo ops, Pluto suddenly ran up to her and took her hand so she could have a photo.

If despite all the above your daughter loved it, I'd really suggest giving it a second chance, planning a bit better - there are loads of online forums with tips, though the best we got was actually from chatting to people in lines on our first trip!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 PM

15,026 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheneum View Post
That's what I meant about understanding the fastpass system. Reading up online to find out what the most popular fastpass rides are, helps to understand which ones you need to get early because they go fast. These will also usually be the rides with the longest lines and so why it is important to get fast passes if you can for them. You can have one adult starting to wait in line for a less popular ride with the kids while the other goes to get the 'crucial' fast passes. We didn't exactly go in lowest season - once for New Year, once for spring break - by spring break we knew the system better and yeah I think the longest we stood in line was 45 minutes.

I'm sorry the rain spoilt it and that you found the staff unhelpful. We found almost without exception superlative service. After we left one spot with a very downbeat kid having been told "Pluto"'s shift was over so he wasn't available for more photo ops, Pluto suddenly ran up to her and took her hand so she could have a photo.

If despite all the above your daughter loved it, I'd really suggest giving it a second chance, planning a bit better - there are loads of online forums with tips, though the best we got was actually from chatting to people in lines on our first trip!
The staff was really wonderful! Especially in the rain, they were just scarce. We did plan, not to the extent we should have. Fast pass for the magic kingdom only allows you to preselect three rides. After that it's up in the air. We picked our rides, never thought the wait times would be that long for the rest.

However the lines had great displays and interactive games which was very cool. When we got on the rides we loved them. (Except space mountain breaking down all day).

Again, it's the ROI for me. Personally I would rather do a trip to Europe. It was astonishing how much you have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel