U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:11 PM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,812,318 times
Reputation: 8438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is where I think much of the controversy comes from. It's not that we're really saying "I can't afford ... but would love to go." It's that we really are saying that while we can afford it, but don't want to go. I see a great deal of an inability to accept that answer from many of the posters here. Somehow "I don't care for Disney" is interpreted as "you didn't plan enough" or "you went the wrong time of day" or "you went the wrong day of the year" or "you didn't stay long enough" or "you need to go more often" all of which are really ways of dismissing the OP's POV.

Frankly I'm glad the OP was brave enough to admit she didn't have a great time at Disney. Because whether on CD or at work or church, it's practically considered treason not to like Disney.
There are a thousand reasons a family can have a mediocre, unpleasant, or even a bad time at Disney, some of which can be placed on the attraction itself. But when the OP states that her family spent a partial day during heavy rain on a high-season day at Disney and doesn't see what makes people like it, did she REALLY think that she had a typical experience there? Where WOULD she have enjoyed that was wet and crowded? She could have just as easily posted on Facebook "Went to Disney with the family, bad day to go, too many people and too much rain!" Nobody would have said she was wrong, or tried to make excuses for the park. Instead, she comes here and asks, in effect, 'Please explain Disney, I don't get why anyone enjoys it?!' Well, she got an answer to that question.

I don't care for the taste of Tamarind. When I say that, I mean if I was lost on a deserted island and a crate of fresh tamarind would float to shore, I would push it back out to sea. I'm not going to post on a South-Asian foods site "How can anyone enjoy that tamarind, it just tastes awful?" and expect not to get responses about how good it is and how I must have gotten a bad one and I need to try it again.

Speaking out that you don't like Disney isn't an act of bravery or courage, it's not against the law or even social norms. Millions of people dislike Disney, just like millions dislike camping, travel, ethnic food, hotdogs, television, cats, dogs, baseball, children, public schools, democrats, republicans, McDonald's, Walmart, and just about anything else.

It's when you question the choices of people that DO like these things that there is a ruckus.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 06-14-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,752 posts, read 12,709,087 times
Reputation: 16605
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
I happen to enjoy Disney, but I don't have children so my vacation expenses are much less and I don't go during crowded times, so I never have to wait in long lines. Good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,023 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Reputation: 22175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
There are a thousand reasons a family can have a mediocre, unpleasant, or even a bad time at Disney, some of which can be placed on the attraction itself. But when the OP states that her family spent a partial day during heavy rain on a high-season day at Disney and doesn't see what makes people like it, did she REALLY think that she had a typical experience there? Where WOULD she have enjoyed that was wet and crowded? She could have just as easily posted on Facebook "Went to Disney with the family, bad day to go, too many people and too much rain!" Nobody would have said she was wrong, or tried to make excuses for the park. Instead, she comes here and asks, in effect, 'Please explain Disney, I don't get why anyone enjoys it?!' Well, she got an answer to that question.

I don't care for the taste of Tamarind. When I say that, I mean if I was lost on a deserted island and a crate of fresh tamarind would float to shore, I would push it back out to sea. I'm not going to post on a South-Asian foods site "How can anyone enjoy that tamarind, it just tastes awful?" and expect not to get responses about how good it is and how I must have gotten a bad one and I need to try it again.

Speaking out that you don't like Disney isn't an act of bravery or courage, it's not against the law or even social norms. Millions of people dislike Disney, just like millions dislike camping, travel, ethnic food, hotdogs, television, cats, dogs, baseball, children, public schools, democrats, republicans, McDonald's, Walmart, and just about anything else.

It's when you question the choices of people that DO like these things that there is a ruckus.
I have the ability to see through the rough points. If the weather was great, and lines were shorter, I still don't understand the grand appeal. The price is high, the lines are long, it felt like there wasn't a lot to do.

I figured by asking people a question I could better understand the appeal. Some people gave me real insight and honest answers. That's all I wanted. I am not claiming to have had the full experience. As one poster stated, they do oversell. Waiting two hours for a ride is ridiculous. Waiting thirty minutes for water is crazy.

Perhaps if you go in the off season it isn't nearly as crowded, I still don't think it would be our thing. I am not dissing anyone's decision and have made it clear that wasn't my intention.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 06-14-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:49 PM
 
5,420 posts, read 15,463,074 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The secret to enjoying Disney is to go when school is in session, and avoid the summer months altogether.
This.

I've been to Disney World so many times I've lost count. You need to look at the Orlando crowd calendars available online and plan ahead. We just got back from a 5 day trip during the first week of May (2 at Universal, 3 at Disney) and I think that only 3 rides were longer than a 30 minute wait (7 Dwarves Mine Train, one of the Harry Potter rides, and the GM Test Track). We got fast passes with morning times, and then reloaded for the afternoon. We saw everything that we wanted to see, and then had time left over to do some rides twice.

Yes. It is CRAZY expensive! We try to offset the cost by getting a Disney Rewards Visa and earning points for our credit card purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,023 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Reputation: 22175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This.

I've been to Disney World so many times I've lost count. You need to look at the Orlando crowd calendars available online and plan ahead. We just got back from a 5 day trip during the first week of May (2 at Universal, 3 at Disney) and I think that only 3 rides were longer than a 30 minute wait (7 Dwarves Mine Train, one of the Harry Potter rides, and the GM Test Track). We got fast passes with morning times, and then reloaded for the afternoon. We saw everything that we wanted to see, and then had time left over to do some rides twice.

Yes. It is CRAZY expensive! We try to offset the cost by getting a Disney Rewards Visa and earning points for our credit card purchases.
Universal and Disney to me are different. We enjoyed Universal, got the fast pass, which made short lines for every ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,752 posts, read 12,709,087 times
Reputation: 16605
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I was just about to rep you for your post too. This is snarky as hell.

To me Disney was Magic Kingdom. When we started planning our trip we discovered that was wrong. We decided to go to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Our family is not one for days at a park, just wanted a taste. Your post explained to me exactly what I wasn't 'getting'. No need to snark and try to make someone feel crappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have the ability to see through the rough points. If the weather was great, and lines were shorter, I still don't understand the grand appeal. The price is high, the lines are long, it felt like there wasn't a lot to do.
If you only went to the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, you missed out on a lot. The Animal Kingdom is my favorite park and I spend a lot of time at Epcot as well. I could pretty much do without Hollywood Studios if it weren't for the Tower of Terror, and the Magic Kingdom can be very draining due to the crowds. But like you said, maybe you just wouldn't have enjoyed it regardless. Maybe Disney just isn't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,023 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Reputation: 22175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you only went to the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, you missed out on a lot. The Animal Kingdom is my favorite park and I spend a lot of time at Epcot as well. I could pretty much do without Hollywood Studios if it weren't for the Tower of Terror, and the Magic Kingdom can be very draining due to the crowds. But like you said, maybe you just wouldn't have enjoyed it regardless. Maybe Disney just isn't for you.
I don't think it is. I did Epcot several years ago, off season so it wasn't crowded Hated it. I would have loved to go to Animal Kingdom but the kids got to choose! I did love Star Wars at Hollywood studios, that was really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 6,245,308 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I don't understand what is so great about the place even when you CAN walk right in!

I find it mindless, artificial, expensive, juvenile, and repetitive beyond belief, and only went as a travel companion to others. It baffles me that it's still in business.

NEVER AGAIN!

If I drive to FLA I go straight to Rt 1 and down to the Keys. We did Parrot Jungle and Universal 30 years ago but from what I have heard Universal is not the same. Disneyland was in CA when I was a kid and Disneyworld came along later. I would have gone to CA before FLA as summer in FLA sucks. I have never wanted to go there. There is a 6 Flags 15 miles away and King's Dominion is a couple of hours drive.
The only thing I liked about those places was the rides. Small carnivals are more fun as they have sideshows and other stuff on their midways. Carnies have to be more colorful characters than Disney mascots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Reputation: 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Please don't compare the Disney abomination and an entire continent filled with unique cultural experiences.
How is Disney an "abomination"? (aside from their horrible TV channel)

I know Disney doesn't compare to visiting Rome or Paris, but to call it an "abomination" is to discredit the art of animation and film making and the wonder that makes Disney's movies, characters and parks so timeless. The attention and detail in their parks will hopefully always be top notch and impressive. Disney is full of American art in their parks just like the Louvre is full of historic European art. What makes the Mona Lisa so much more culturally enriching than Mickey Mouse, in all actuality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Mountain girl trapped on the beach
595 posts, read 691,699 times
Reputation: 2080
When we lived in south Florida we would go to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival every year and had a blast. We made a weekend of it and took our time. The other parks, particularly the Magic Kingdom, don't appeal to us and we don't have kids so that's just us. But we did take a family vacation to Disney World when I was 10 and I remember having a lot of fun.

A few years before we moved away, though, my husband and I looked at the cost of our weekend at Epcot and decided it was just too pricey. Not that we couldn't afford it anymore, but there came a point where there were other things we could spend the money on and have more fun.

I agree that planning is definitely necessary to get maximum enjoyment out of a Disney vacation, but it shouldn't take the amount of planning that went into capturing Osama bin Laden to ensure you have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top