U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:56 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,460,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
FLEW DOWN TO MYRTLE ON FRIDAY....WAS DELAYED 7 HOURS OUT OF PHL!!! SAID NO CREW SHOWED UP!! HORRIBLE. FLOWN MANY TIMES, INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL...NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN..WORST AIRLINE EVER....BE IN DEFENSE....HAVE FLOWN SPIRIT TWICE IN PAST TO MYRTLE TO SEE PROPERTY IN AREA, AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. WE LEAVE WITH DAUGHTER AND OUR GRANDKIDS TOMORROW. WISH US LUCK WE DON'T GET DELAYED SEVEN HOURS AGAIN!!
It's not our fault. What's your problem? Why are you yelling at us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 03:38 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Spirit and Frontier fall into the same category.. With Southwest doing so as well, but, they do things so differently (and better, normally) that it's not really fair to lump them in.

Spirit and Frontier will nickle and dime you to death. You have to know and understand what you're getting into with them.

Now, your flight is cancelled. Both Spirit and Southwest will only put you on their flights.. Spirit has 7 flights a day to get to Vegas, but you're on the last one, so.. Next day at best. Southwest, there's 18 flights per day, you're on the third. So, there's 15 other opportunities to get there same day.

Southwest also doesn't charge for ticket changes. Spirit, it's over $100.

If you know how to play the Spirit game, you can get a great deal out of them. But you have to know how to play the game. I'd never book a ticket with them for a route that only flies a few times a week or has only 1 flight a day.. Such as Myrtle Beach to Atlantic City. 1 flight, departs at 9:26pm..

I don't criticize Spirit Air. They are just the latest participant of the game of "three card monte" that is airline pricing.

To me, it is just a lot easier to book Southwest and avoid all of the games.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,548,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
FLEW DOWN TO MYRTLE ON FRIDAY....WAS DELAYED 7 HOURS OUT OF PHL!!! SAID NO CREW SHOWED UP!! HORRIBLE. FLOWN MANY TIMES, INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL...NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN..WORST AIRLINE EVER....BE IN DEFENSE....HAVE FLOWN SPIRIT TWICE IN PAST TO MYRTLE TO SEE PROPERTY IN AREA, AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. WE LEAVE WITH DAUGHTER AND OUR GRANDKIDS TOMORROW. WISH US LUCK WE DON'T GET DELAYED SEVEN HOURS AGAIN!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just an FYI, typing in all caps translates to you yelling at everyone.
To me it translates as "old person at the keyboard"....also, all caps is much harder to read than regular text...whoever got the idea to do all caps when responding online, anyway? Ya don't "type a letter" that way to anyone.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:01 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,115,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I don't criticize Spirit Air. They are just the latest participant of the game of "three card monte" that is airline pricing.

To me, it is just a lot easier to book Southwest and avoid all of the games.
Except that Southwest has games of its own that it plays and can sometimes have its own epic fails when it comes to affordability.. I was pricing out last minute flights on Thursday just in case the Spousal Unit had to do a quick trip up to Michigan for family manners. (Fortunately, it wasn't serious enough to require the trip after all.) Depart Friday-return Monday, and American ($565) would have been the far cheaper option than the remaining Southwest fare buckets that were asking about $900 for the same PNS-DTW round trip routing, which operated at far more inconvenient hours than what American had.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 AM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Except that Southwest has games of its own that it plays and can sometimes have its own epic fails when it comes to affordability.. I was pricing out last minute flights on Thursday just in case the Spousal Unit had to do a quick trip up to Michigan for family manners. (Fortunately, it wasn't serious enough to require the trip after all.) Depart Friday-return Monday, and American ($565) would have been the far cheaper option than the remaining Southwest fare buckets that were asking about $900 for the same PNS-DTW round trip routing, which operated at far more inconvenient hours than what American had.
The topic is NOT whether Southwest is the cheapest or the most convenient. No, it is whether the fares charged by Southwest are TRANSPARENT and without hidden or undisclosed fees.

My experience for family emergencies has been that Southwest has always been the cheapest option but YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or