U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 AM

15 posts, read 26,589 times

Advertisements

It's weird. I feel so worn out after a Greyhound trip. I'm just sitting and riding. I don't feel this way after riding Amtrak though. I actually feel somewhat refreshed after riding Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,108,542 times
I'd agree with you. Part of the reason may be that when you travel by Greyhound you can be travelling on interstates and there's not always a lot to look at out of the window. Amtrak seems, to me, to offer more to see, plus you get extra leg room and can also get up to walk around more than on a bus. I also find it easier to chat with the person next to me on a train and, at the risk of getting panned for saying this, I think it's because you tend to get more interesting people travelling by train, at least for someone of my age (early 60s).

Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
I don't feel more tired riding a bus vs. riding a train.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times
I haven't traveled by Greyhound, but I would guess it has a lot to do with the fact that you're basically confined to a cramped seat. On Amtrak, the seats are roomy and comfortable, and you can get up and move around, even go to the dining car.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I haven't traveled by Greyhound, but I would guess it has a lot to do with the fact that you're basically confined to a cramped seat. On Amtrak, the seats are roomy and comfortable, and you can get up and move around, even go to the dining car.
Yes I agree this explains a lot. In addition, on Greyhound you are moving along with the traffic, which means that you may be zipping along at highway speeds, or it may mean you're stopping and starting. And it's very tiring to be constantly stopping and starting, speeding up and slowing down. Whereas on Amtrak, in general, you're moving at a smooth, constant rate of speed while in-between stations.

I used to ride Greyhound fairly frequently, but it's probably been 25 years, at least, since I've stepped foot on one. And I find that I don't miss it.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,108,542 times
I think it also depends on what route you take Greyhound. I've travelled from Philadelphia to NYC (at night), and Columbus OH to Indianapolis, by bus. Neither journey was enjoyable because almost every seat was taken, you couldn't spread out, and could only shift your position a little in your seat. Louisville KY to Columbus, on the other hand, was more interesting, a tad more scenic (but I like to look at the farms, barns, and water towers the bus passes so I'm easily pleased), and there was also a 40 minute-long break in Cincinnati where ongoing passengers could stretch their legs and grab a bite to eat.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Agreed. And it is difficult to get up and walk around on a bus.

I will NOT ride Greyhound as I have had too many issues over the year. Generally, I go Megabus.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,510,898 times
Some of the most interesting trips I've taken by bus have been upon those occasions when there were very few passengers -- ideally, only the driver and myself (I have a background in transportation, so it's not hard to get an interesting conversation going). Best opportunities for this are on Saturday/Sunday overnights, or the morning of a major Holiday.

Admittedly, that doesn't make for too many opportunities, but the point is, the more passengers on the bus, the more restricted the individual feels. The idiot who further disrupts things by trying to sneak a cigarette in the rest room is the last straw, and the men and women who drive those buses earn every cent of their pay.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,293,874 times
I'm tired after traveling, period. Doesn't matter if I'm flying, on a bus, or on Amtrak/other rail.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 PM

22,685 posts, read 28,731,890 times
The creepy people on the bus prevent me from relaxing. The train seems to draw a better class of passenger.

Seats on Greyhound are not as roomy as seats on the train, but they beat the heck out of the seats on an airplane.

A big part of it with traveling on the bus is that it takes forever. They stop at every little Podunk town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or