U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,203,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I know I'm asking two different questions, that's why I used the word "or" instead of "and" ... I'm not sure what point you felt you were making in pointing that out.
Ha ha. Dont get all angry dude. I was just pointing out that people dont move to live in a country solely because of the country's history. You wont hear anyone saying "Oh, I decided to live in Greece because back in 776 BC they had the first Olympics". People will almost always seek out what the country has to offer TODAY in order to determine if its a place they would want to live.

Then your other question:

LongNote asks: "What I should have asked is, does the negative aspects of a country's past, especially as it relates to your people, effect your desire to move there or visit."

Kinda wish you would give examples or specifics because it sounds like you have specific scenarios in your head that you are talking about as it relates to a specific race/country of people to a specific race/country of another.

Would a Jewish person travel to Germany? Yes. Many live there today.
Would a Scot or Irishman travel to England? Yes. Despite hundreds of years of war, they are now pretty much one country - U.K.
Would a Japanese travel to the U.S. despite Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Yes. Many visit daily and call it HOME.
Would someone from Peru travel to Spain? They probably wont even know about the Spanish conquest of 1532 and even if they did, they'd be like "Whatev".
Would an Armenian travel to Tukey? Probably not. This is the only scenario I can think of where a person would not travel to a country based on the country's past as it relates to their people. This is based on the Turks genocide of Armenian and their refusal to acknowledge it and call it was it was - GENOCIDE!!

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 06-17-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:37 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,290,166 times
If history means amazing architecture and a well-developed, tasty cuisine, then it factors into my decision very much.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Actually, none. I'm much more interested in seeing the present-day social and economic dynamics of places I travel, and I can't be bothered even walking in the front door of a museum.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
None. I don't choose a country specifically due to history, although if there is something historically that interests me, I try to see it while I am there.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
How big of a role does a country's history play in your decision to move to or travel to that country?
Seeing as how I don't care to emigrate, the history has no bearing on living there. As far as visiting, it depends on the type of trip. If I want to see nature I don't care about the history. If it's somewhere like Europe I would go for the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or