U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Rebooking 20 passengers or rebooking a dozen passengers? Which makes more logical sense?
the first 20 were late for the flight. The latter dozen were on time.

Plus, it is not always possible rebook. As I said, I was put on a standby and was fortunate enough to make it. The next flight was fully booked and luckily people didn't show up. If I wasn't lucky, I would have to cancel my entire trip because I wouldn't be able to make my third leg of the trip.

Keep in mind that the airline would need to compensate for the loss to all the travelers who missed their flights. I would have fought teeth and nail for that if I hadn't made it. On the other hand, those 20 who didn't make the flight would get nothing in return because it was their own fault not arriving on time to catch it. Long security line is not a legit excuse.

PS: it was a 7 am flight and I highly doubt those 20 people were directly connecting from somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,850,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
the first 20 were late for the flight. The latter dozen were on time.

Plus, it is not always possible rebook. As I said, I was put on a standby and was fortunate enough to make it. The next flight was fully booked and luckily people didn't show up. If I wasn't lucky, I would have to cancel my entire trip because I wouldn't be able to make my third leg of the trip.

Keep in mind that the airline would need to compensate for the loss to all the travelers who missed their flights. I would have fought teeth and nail for that if I hadn't made it. On the other hand, those 20 who didn't make the flight would get nothing in return because it was their own fault not arriving on time to catch it. Long security line is not a legit excuse.

PS: it was a 7 am flight and I highly doubt those 20 people were directly connecting from somewhere.
Yeah, but the airline has the advantage of having the computer system in front of them and being able to figure out which scenario gets them to fewest number of people needing to rebook. They simply don't care who was late or why. They are looking at flat numbers and what it means to them.

Whether or not those 20 people were connecting FROM somewhere is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not they were catching connections at the other end of your flight.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:24 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Quote:
it is not about making everyone happy. If those late passengers miss the plane, they can only blame themselves for arriving at the airport too late. Security time can range widely and they should have allocated enough time.

On the other hand, those who already made it on time should not be punished because other people were late, should they? I got up at 4:30am just to get to the airplane early enough not to miss the plane in any case (extra long security checks etc.), and I was at the gate 30 minutes before boarding started, and then I was punished because a bunch of strangers were late? Does that sound fair to you?
You assume that "security" was the regular security and they were just beginning their travel. Security could also be after an international flight when people need to re-clear. it is quite possible that this was the case, and yes in this circumstance they were right to hold the plane.

BTW--I had a flight held at DCA for 10 minutes for me about a year ago. My flight arrived late and my connection was scheduled to leave in five minutes. They called the gate and the plane was held until I was able to use the shuttle to get across the tarmac--they took a 15 minute delay. Status has it's benefits at times.

PS--Sometimes life isn't fair.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,850,004 times
Basically what it comes down to ... you don't have all the information, so you can't POSSIBLY know whether or not it was a sound decision for the airline. Yeah, it sucks for those who were inconvenienced, but in this case it was inevitable that people were going to be inconvenienced. The airline only cares what will impact them the least.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,673,850 times
I find it rather unlikely that as many as 20 originating passengers would just show up late. One or two I can believe, but 20? I would bet that something happened, after the OP had already cleared security, that forced them to close down the checkpoint for some amount of time. In such a scenario, it would think it would be plausible for the airport authority to order ALL outbound flights to hold, in order to (1) possibly catch someone who maybe slipped through security, and (2) to make sure that they weren't stuck having to deal with hundreds of irate passengers from a bunch of different flights who missed their departures.

As for airlines holding planes, I've seen it go both ways. I was on a flight out of Denver right after Christmas one time, and because of bad weather many of the inbound flights were delayed. My flight left on time, with more than a dozen empty seats on what had been a fully-booked flight. But another time, I was on the last flight of the night out of Baltimore heading to Rochester, and they delayed the flight for about 15 minutes so a group of 4 people from an inbound flight could make the connection. I was glad they held the flight, as I thought my minor inconvenience was worth those people not getting stranded at the airport overnight.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM

17,093 posts, read 17,432,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find it rather unlikely that as many as 20 originating passengers would just show up late. One or two I can believe, but 20?
I would bet that something happened, after the OP had already cleared security, that forced them to close down the checkpoint for some amount of time. In such a scenario, it would think it would be plausible for the airport authority to order ALL outbound flights to hold, in order to (1) possibly catch someone who maybe slipped through security, and (2) to make sure that they weren't stuck having to deal with hundreds of irate passengers from a bunch of different flights who missed their departures.

As for airlines holding planes, I've seen it go both ways. I was on a flight out of Denver right after Christmas one time, and because of bad weather many of the inbound flights were delayed. My flight left on time, with more than a dozen empty seats on what had been a fully-booked flight. But another time, I was on the last flight of the night out of Baltimore heading to Rochester, and they delayed the flight for about 15 minutes so a group of 4 people from an inbound flight could make the connection. I was glad they held the flight, as I thought my minor inconvenience was worth those people not getting stranded at the airport overnight.
That is what I was thinking. It could have even been something like a bomb threat or looking for a specific, suspicious passenger that slipped through security or that the airport received a tip about and needed to catch someone in security.

Sometimes, in situations like this there is a lot "more to the story" than what is announced to the general public.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-18-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
I was at TPA about 10 years ago and the monorail things between the terminals both broke. No one could get to the plane who wasn't already there. My flight was held for about 30 minutes.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,225,517 times
Quote:
I was on a flight a few days ago and what United Airline did completely baffled me.

I was traveling from city A to city C with a connect in city B. The connection time was 55 minutes, which should be enough. We boarded on time and it looked everything would be one schedule. I checked my app right before boarding and it said it would be.

Then after everyone at the gate was seated, the plane didn't take off. We simply waited. 10 minutes after the scheduled takeoff time, all of a sudden a new group of people started to enter the plane, like more than 20 of them, and boarding was not completed until 35 minutes after the scheduled take off.

It turns out that was some long lines in the security checks, and the UA simply was waiting for those passengers.

Does it make sense? I missed my next flight due to this, so did a lot of other passengers. Upon arriving, a man next to me said his next flight is taking off in 4 minutes. Another guy holding a boarding pass saying his next flight is in 25 minutes (hope he made it). Another lady was anxious trying to push ahead of the line, when at least a dozen other passengers said they were in the same situation.

Fortunately I was able to rebook the next flight, so my itinerary was not interrupted. I am not sure everyone else was this lucky. The question is, even knowing 20 passengers were stuck at security, how could the airline punish those who are on time by keeping them waiting for those who are late, and therefore making so many miss their next flight? Is that a standard practice? Shouldn't those who were held up at security face the stress and risk of trip interruption, instead of sacrificing those who were actually early? I don't get and I am still trying to decide whether I would file a complaint. I was put on standby and luckily I got in. What if I hadn't? My entire trip would have needed to be cancelled because it would not make sense to go any more.
Never seen that, but it's United. It doesn't surprise me. Thus why I don't fly them. Ever.

Continental (who United bought out) once had a pilot redirect a plane due to "weather" in Phoenix. It was clear, sunny skies. Made me miss my connect to Cleveland and I had to drive from Dayton to Cleveland because I was time crunched. Not fun.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:06 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,920,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Never seen that, but it's United. It doesn't surprise me. Thus why I don't fly them. Ever.

Continental (who United bought out) once had a pilot redirect a plane due to "weather" in Phoenix. It was clear, sunny skies. Made me miss my connect to Cleveland and I had to drive from Dayton to Cleveland because I was time crunched. Not fun.
I can almost guarantee that the "weather" in Phoenix was not just the weather on the ground. There are MANY factors that are related to weather, both on the ground and aloft. Dont assume that just because the sun is shining where you want to go that all is well with the weather enroute. Ultimately, your safety and that of the crew and aircraft are always the first priority. Airlines are not in the habit of delaying people for no good reason.

Delays and cancellations and misconnects always upset those who are involved, of course. But, a previous poster was exactly right, the airline has the computers and knows exactly what is going on and why. You might think someone ( or a group of someones) were just lazy and got there late. There could be many reasons they were not aboard on time. Incoming foreign passengers, TSA shut down due to security issue, etc.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM

6,937 posts, read 3,868,939 times
Quote:
sure, but at the cost of a dozen passenger who were on time, missing their flight? Doesn't sound right.

As I said, I was lucky to be able to be put on standby and managed to made it. Otherwise, my trip would have been completely ruined.
(Puts on her best customer service smile)...

Might seem pretty cut and dry to you, but we have other things to take into consideration like the availability of another flight for those 20 souls, How many people are booked on that flight, will that flight allow them to make their connections down line? People are going to be inconvenienced for sure, but we try and keep it to a minimum. We hate delays and try to avoid them like the plague but, sometimes unavoidable things happen that are completely out of our control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or