U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Never seen that, but it's United. It doesn't surprise me. Thus why I don't fly them. Ever.
It's not unique to United.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Whether or not those 20 people were connecting FROM somewhere is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not they were catching connections at the other end of your flight.
And whether those connections are domestic or international (since missing an international flight could delay the passengers for 24 hours or longer).

Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I can almost guarantee that the "weather" in Phoenix was not just the weather on the ground. There are MANY factors that are related to weather, both on the ground and aloft. Dont assume that just because the sun is shining where you want to go that all is well with the weather enroute. Ultimately, your safety and that of the crew and aircraft are always the first priority. Airlines are not in the habit of delaying people for no good reason.
^^^^ This. I've been on flights that have gotten pretty severely tossed around on beautiful sunny days.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:10 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I was glad they held the flight, as I thought my minor inconvenience was worth those people not getting stranded at the airport overnight.
I wouldn't mind it were minor inconveniences for me. However, the delay resulted in my missing my next flight, and if not for the priority standby due to my status, I would not have made it to the next available flight either. The third one wouldn't matter, because if I had to take that one, all my travel arrangement would need to be cancelled.

I am not selfishly saying it about "me me me", apparently a dozen other passengers were affected too, and God know to what extent. The point is, the airline deliberately caused us to miss the flight to wait for some people who were late due to their own planning issue.

Nothing dangerous happened at the airport that day. Those people arrived almost together, and seem to be in the same age group (20-25 I'd say). More likely they were just late to pass security and the airline decided to wait.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:17 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I wouldn't mind it were minor inconveniences for me. However, the delay resulted in my missing my next flight, and if not for the priority standby due to my status, I would not have made it to the next available flight either. The third one wouldn't matter, because if I had to take that one, all my travel arrangement would need to be cancelled.

I am not selfishly saying it about "me me me", apparently a dozen other passengers were affected too, and God know to what extent. The point is, the airline deliberately caused us to miss the flight to wait for some people who were late due to their own planning issue.

Nothing dangerous happened at the airport that day. Those people arrived almost together, and seem to be in the same age group (20-25 I'd say). More likely they were just late to pass security and the airline decided to wait.
You don't know it was due to their own planning issues. You also don't know that some were deadheading crew or military.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,792,417 times
Cheer up. Next time it may be you that is saved.

Buried in the bowels of the airport every company has a dispatcher. He sits at a computer screen and decides what to do. He is in contact with the airline headquarters and can see lots about what is going on. He tries to do the right thing. That general is to minimize the damage.

If he has a group of 20 people running late he will likely hold the flight. I have been on both ends of that innumerable times...sometimes they admit what is going on and sometimes you guess when late arrivals show up.

Note the dispatcher can get it wrong as well. He thinks he has a ten minute hold but then it goes to 15 then 25...

Just part of the way the world works. So get used to it. It will happen again.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,107,191 times
You are just assuming that 20 passengers were late. That is unreasonable assumption due to the number of late passengers. Probables:

1: They were all from another flight, that arrived late. Weather, a bomb scare, having to make an extra stop due to a medical emergency, and the list can go on and on.

2: A bomb scare, etc., so they were all delayed at the security gate.

All things that are not the late arriving passengers fault, so they held up your flight to get them aboard before take off. The next plane, may have been booked heavy, and there would be no way they could be moved to the next flight. That left the only way to handle the problem which would cause problems for the least number of people, was the way they handled it.

Next time it may be you, that the plane is held up for.

In my navy days, I was the Air Terminal Chief for busy transport squadrons flying between U.S. and far east, and every other day I was in charge. In charge of all passengers and cargo (we carried a lot of cargo on most flights in addition to passengers). I was the one that had the responsibility of releasing the plane to the crew to fly, or held it up for numerous reasons. I understand the problems the airlines have, and know there will be times to hold a plane at the terminal for a period of time for one reason or another. I have seen when we would have a number of top VIPs (Very Important People) aboard such as Admirals, Generals, and sometimes a few congressmen/women going overseas on business. I still on occasion held up the flight for up to an hour or more, and these people were not always happy when I did it.

I have had high ranking military officers, and members of congress that tried go get special exemptions and went as high as the Western Fleet Pacific, to get me to release the plane earlier. They would get as high as my admiral, and the Admiral would just tell them the situation was closed. He knew I would get the job done with the least hardship for the minimum number of passengers. Having been there, it is important that we realize that there will be flights cancelled, or delayed a few hours on occasion and stop blaming the airlines for holding your flight up.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:

You have absolutely no way of knowing why they were delayed and whether or not it was their fault.

Again ... You simply do not have all the information to determine whether or not it was a sound decision.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,838,461 times
Quote:

It may not have been the airline"s own planning issue. Those late people might have been connecting from another airline. There's nothing we can do if either our flight or the other airlines flight was delayed getting in.
Now you're turning to the customer service agents worst nightmare... The guy who's PO'ed and NOTHING they say is going to appease. The one who keeps coming back to the ticket counter and asking why? Why? Why!.
No matter it's been explained 10 times!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And whether those connections are domestic or international (since missing an international flight could delay the passengers for 24 hours or longer).
Especially in areas more lightly served by air. If those 20 checked in passengers are, say, doing an international mission to Conakry, Guinea and a delay would cause them to miss their connecting flight in Addis Ababa and the next available connection would be three days out then better to keep them on the original booking and find 12 people who would be delayed 3-8 hours another route.

Also, in normal circumstances, the airlines do try to keep passengers and checked baggage on the same plane, lest there be another Lockerbie. (United does uncouple passengers from checked bags in some IRROPS scenarios but it's at their discretion, not really the choice of the passenger.) So for 20 no-shows at the gate, the airline would normally decide to unload the baggage from those missing passengers, so they're probably having to spend the time to locate at least 15 suitcases, assuming a normal distribution of checked and carry on only folks. If it will take 20 minutes to find and pull the right bags from the hold and operations/the gate agent think it would only take 10 minutes to just get those passengers on the flight, it can actually be quicker just to seat the latecomers on the plane instead of dealing with the logistics of officially getting them off the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or