U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As a side note I believe that current rules say if apassenger doesn’t board the plane they have to remove their luggage. Trust me, if their luggage was already loadedit would have taken more time to remove their luggage than to delay the plane for them to board.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,846,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN007 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As a side note I believe that current rules say if apassenger doesn’t board the plane they have to remove their luggage. Trust me, if their luggage was already loadedit would have taken more time to remove their luggage than to delay the plane for them to board.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Another good point! I forgot about checked bags!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
It's actually not a law that passengers and checked bags are linked forever in flight. It is the rule under most circumstances, and no-showing will send the ramp agents in a scramble to pull any of your bags already in the hold because it seems hinky to the airline.

Exception to this- However if you're going to miss a connecting flight that was supposed to be at noon and the next flight with available seats isn't until, say 9:00pm, United will let you stand by for any other flights to your final destination between the time you get to the connecting airport and when the flight where you have verified seats. If you get on one of those earlier flights, your baggage is still sent to the flight where you had verified seats, and from there United is supposed to deliver it to your home or hotel shortly after that. Had this happen to us on the way to Denver a few weeks back when IAH had a ground stop due to extreme weather and the flight schedule went all pear-shaped.

But as I said, this is the airline's discretion under special circumstances and not something the passenger can really initiate.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM

811 posts, read 734,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

PS: it was a 7 am flight and I highly doubt those 20 people were directly connecting from somewhere.
I take cross-country red-eyes that connect to another flight bright and early like this all of the time. There's no reason to doubt that possibility whatsoever.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 PM

4,915 posts, read 4,078,639 times
Quote:

PS: it was a 7 am flight and I highly doubt those 20 people were directly connecting from somewhere.
I recently flew. My departing flight was about 7:30 am. I was waiting at the gate from about 6:30 am. Several flights were landing during that time.

Just today I took my son to the airport at 6 am. Flights were landing. He had a connection in another city, and his final leg is landing in Germany at, wait for it, 7 am.

So tell me WHY you highly doubt those people were directly connecting from somewhere?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,348,908 times
Quote:

Fortunately I was able to rebook the next flight, so my itinerary was not interrupted. I am not sure everyone else was this lucky. The question is, even knowing 20 passengers were stuck at security, how could the airline punish those who are on time by keeping them waiting for those who are late, and therefore making so many miss their next flight? Is that a standard practice? Shouldn't those who were held up at security face the stress and risk of trip interruption, instead of sacrificing those who were actually early? I don't get and I am still trying to decide whether I would file a complaint. I was put on standby and luckily I got in. What if I hadn't? My entire trip would have needed to be cancelled because it would not make sense to go any more.
So, those 20 people who were "held up at security" should have been punished then? Have you ever been on a plane, fully loaded, and it just sat on the tarmac after it pulled it away from the gate? It has happened to me a few times. Once, back in '95, I sat on the tarmac for 3 hours without an explanation. The airline gave every passenger a bunch of stuff for free, though.

If they were making a connecting flight and were held up, the plane would have left (at some airports you do have to leave the terminal and re-enter through security to get to your terminal).

If they physically checked in at the airport or checked in bags at the airport at anytime before the gate closes (or opens, if early enough), the plane will wait because they know they are at the airport.

Filing a complaint now probably will not do you much good. You gotta do it right then at there at the airport (after you miss your connecting flight). I've gotten a few hotel vouchers (Actually, it wasn't a voucher... ...a representative from the airline called the hotel to set it up each time) in the past as well as "guaranteed seat upgrades". I've never really pushed it too far for a free flight as apparently there are only a few circumstances where this would apply (if I remember correctly, it has to be a mechanical issue with the plane. If your flight was late because of logistics you are SOL).

*edit to add*

There was one time with Southwest that I checked my bags curbside with 10 minutes to go. I made it to the gate but the plane had already pulled away. It was still sitting there, but the door was shut and locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN007 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Since when? Every time I missed a connecting flight my bags still went on ahead as scheduled. In the situation I mention just above, the gate attendant told me that my bags also missed the flight and would be put on the next plane out. So would I, however, when I got to my destination my bags were no where in sight. I was told by baggage claim "representatives" that my bags were sent on a different plane (than the one I actually took). At first they told me my bags were not there. Then they said they found them and they were locked up in some kind of left behind baggage storage area. The guy who got my bags for me said they were checked in at X-o'clock, which meant they came in a few hours before my flight, which means they had to have been on the original flight).

Last edited by K-Luv; 06-18-2015 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:48 AM

8,983 posts, read 8,130,554 times
Quote:
I am not selfishly saying it about "me me me", apparently a dozen other passengers were affected too, and God know to what extent. The point is, the airline deliberately caused us to miss the flight to wait for some people who were late due to their own planning issue.

Nothing dangerous happened at the airport that day. Those people arrived almost together, and seem to be in the same age group (20-25 I'd say). More likely they were just late to pass security and the airline decided to wait.
When it is 20 people all arriving together, it is almost guaranteed that it was a group that were to make that connection, probably from a connecting flight. If they had staggered in over say 30 minutes it would be for another reason. But being all arriving together, it says it was not just some people arriving at check in late. You don't hold a plane to wait for late arriving passengers, but you do hold one it it caused by a reason out of the passengers control, such as a delayed connecting flight arrival with 20 passengers scheduled for that flight.

Take off without them, and now there is a bottle neck that can take a day or so to get them all out on later flights. I know as I have had to hold flights for reasons like this numerous times when I was the air terminal chief.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM

14,444 posts, read 7,948,543 times
Delays are just a part of travel but I don't think the airline would do it on purpose, but if more than 20 people were stuck in security it would make sense to delay the departure. We flew to Edinburgh on June 8th and I watched an entire two hour movie while sitting on the plane waiting to get through the traffic jam on the tarmac. If it wasn't a direct flight I'm sure we would have missed a connecting flight. A lot depends on the airport. OHare is hit or miss and our delay was weather related. I was impressed with Edinburgh airport. It's not as big as OHare and we were off on time. Don't talk to me about the Miami airport. It's a nightmare there. I would always try to book a flight with at least an hour and a half in between flights. Anything less is playing Russian Roulette. I totally despise the whole airport experience as it is.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,846,308 times
If it was a security delay, it likely affected other flights as well. So regardless of whether the airline wanted to delay OP's flight or not, other flights are going to get stacked up and they're going to have to wait anyway. If they're going to have to wait on stacked departures, they might as well leave the gate open so more people can board.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM

5,476 posts, read 2,935,468 times
There are many different factors that effect what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or