U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,318,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When it is 20 people all arriving together, it is almost guaranteed that it was a group that were to make that connection, probably from a connecting flight. If they had staggered in over say 30 minutes it would be for another reason. But being all arriving together, it says it was not just some people arriving at check in late. You don't hold a plane to wait for late arriving passengers, but you do hold one it it caused by a reason out of the passengers control, such as a delayed connecting flight arrival with 20 passengers scheduled for that flight.

Take off without them, and now there is a bottle neck that can take a day or so to get them all out on later flights. I know as I have had to hold flights for reasons like this numerous times when I was the air terminal chief.
it is all reasonable, but what about all the passengers who will miss their next flight when they are not late at all? How come their interest is not considered at all? I don't think all of them were able to fly out that day, some may be stranded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is all reasonable, but what about all the passengers who will miss their next flight when they are not late at all? How come their interest is not considered at all? I don't think all of them were able to fly out that day, some may be stranded.
It is considered. The question is how to do the least harm. And it may not be answered correctly all the time but they try. I know a senior dispatcher for a major airline. He has been at it for almost 40 years. He would be very good at understanding and doing the least damage.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,318,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If it was a security delay, it likely affected other flights as well. So regardless of whether the airline wanted to delay OP's flight or not, other flights are going to get stacked up and they're going to have to wait anyway. If they're going to have to wait on stacked departures, they might as well leave the gate open so more people can board.
true.
But it was stupid for the airline to pretend to be "on time" when boarding already started, and even after I was seated and waited for 10 minutes, the FA told me the plane was delayed for only 15 minutes, and they were going to catch up during the flight.

Then the take off was 40 minutes late, and landing was a whole hour late.

If I had this information before, I wouldn't have boarded at all. I would have asked to rebook a different route to my second destination directly, instead of missing the connection and facing the high uncertainty of standing by for the next available flight.

Don't you get it? I am not upset about the waiting or the delay. I am upset about the fact the airline communicated poorly and didn't seem to care about those connecting passengers who arrived on time for departure at all.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 AM

9,141 posts, read 17,223,795 times
As others have pointed out there are many many factors, Most them not readily apparent to the passengers.
1. Was there a long queue waiting to take off, so all leaving the gate on time, would get is you sitting on the taxi way for a while.
2. Was there there ground hold for your destination airport? So even if you pushed back on time, you could not take off anyway.
3. Was Flow Control in effect from ATC out of that airport, in some airspace you would need to go thru.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,861,305 times
Quote:
true.
But it was stupid for the airline to pretend to be "on time" when boarding already started, and even after I was seated and waited for 10 minutes, the FA told me the plane was delayed for only 15 minutes, and they were going to catch up during the flight.

If I had this information before, I wouldn't have boarded at all. I would have asked to rebook a different route to my second destination directly, instead of missing the connection and facing the high uncertainty of standing by for the next available flight.

Don't you get it? I am not upset about the waiting or the delay. I am upset about the fact the airline communicated poorly and didn't seem to care about those connecting passengers who arrived on time for departure at all.
At the time they started boarding, they probably thought they were going to be on time or at least minimally delayed. Things change, and it's very possible that they changed while the plane was boarding. They go with the information they have on hand at the time.

You're still making it sound like the 20 who were allowed on were late by their own fault. You simply don't know that. Their lateness could have been beyond their control. The airline is doing what is best for their own bottom line ... what will cause them to have to re-route the least number of passengers. They DO NOT CARE who arrived before whom. They want the least amount of disruption to their own operations, and yes, that means that sometimes the best prepared passengers get inconvenienced. Purchasing a ticket and getting to the airport early do not guarantee that you will get to your destination on time, or that your needs will be put above anyone else's.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM

15,791 posts, read 26,876,513 times
Quote:
true.

I am wondering if the other passengers care about this as much as you do. You seem to have made it to your destination and it would seem are worried about what happened to other people. Seems like a lot of worry for something that is out of your control. I would let it go. I would bet that late or early everyone is safe at where ever they wanted to get to.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 4,628,151 times
Quote:
the first 20 were late for the flight. The latter dozen were on time.

Plus, it is not always possible rebook. As I said, I was put on a standby and was fortunate enough to make it. The next flight was fully booked and luckily people didn't show up. If I wasn't lucky, I would have to cancel my entire trip because I wouldn't be able to make my third leg of the trip.

Keep in mind that the airline would need to compensate for the loss to all the travelers who missed their flights. I would have fought teeth and nail for that if I hadn't made it. On the other hand, those 20 who didn't make the flight would get nothing in return because it was their own fault not arriving on time to catch it. Long security line is not a legit excuse.

PS: it was a 7 am flight and I highly doubt those 20 people were directly connecting from somewhere.
How do you know such details as to what exactly happened and why decisions were made?

Consider this. You check your bags outside the TSA security perimeter, sometimes at the curb. The checked bags for those 20 people may have already been put on the plane. Airlines don't let bags fly by themselves so either way the plane is going to be delayed, sitting there until the 20 passengers arrive or having baggage handlers locate and pull their bags.

As for those 20 getting nothing in return, maybe they were on refundable tickets and that would have been lost revenue to the airline exceeding compensation to the others.

And a 7am flight makes it highly probable that most missed connections could be rebooked.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,824,806 times
There's probably about a million reasons a flight would be held. Unless you specificly work for the airline and have access to see what's happening, then you have no clue what was going on. And yes, I've been on flights where we were held for 3 -5 people because the connections were all messed up. For all you know, the plane wasn't being cleared to take off due to traffic and they stayed put. They knew those 20 people were missing. They also know if they are traveling as a group, if there's a security issue, etc. All kinds of info you don't know. It's easier to let these things go than stress over them. You can't change it. I rarely fly with less than an hour for a connection. If I can get an hour and half or more, I'll take it! I hate sprinting from one end of the airport to the other. Happens EVERY single time I fly in and out of Charlotte.

Last edited by ss20ts; 06-19-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 02:25 PM

7,375 posts, read 4,212,458 times
Quote:
I am not upset about the waiting or the delay. I am upset about the fact the airline communicated poorly...
Unfortunately poor communication seems to be the norm for airlines (and has been for quite some time - my own worst flight experience ever featured poor communication as its centerpiece, and it happened back in 1999).

Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,861,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Since when? Every time I missed a connecting flight my bags still went on ahead as scheduled. In the situation I mention just above, the gate attendant told me that my bags also missed the flight and would be put on the next plane out. S
We're talking about originating flights, not connecting flights. If your bags are loaded on the plane at your point of origination, and you don't board the plane, it's going to raise red flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or