U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,671,312 times

Advertisements

You are arriving into EWR on a Saturday evening after a very long flight and here are your options:

1. Take a late (midnight or so) commuter flight from EWR to IAD/DCA/BWI.

2. Get a room at an airport hotel or motel then take the commuter flight Sunday A.M.

3. Reserve a car at EWR that night (Saturday) for a one way trip to the D.C. area.

Which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
I would rest up and Sunday morning either take a commuter flight or Amtrak depending on how fast you need to be in DC.

After a long flight landing late, renting a car and driving to DC would not be on my radar.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
I would just take the commuter flight. It wouldn't be safe to drive long distance, late at night when you're tired, so not option 3. And I don't see the advantage of going through the hassle and expense of taking a shuttle to a hotel, shuttling back to the airport in the morning, and subjecting myself to security again. Just get it over with and take the commuter flight.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:20 AM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
0. I would fly into IAD, DCA, BWI Directly

My 1st choice of your options would be 1. If there was such a flight that late I could take.
I'm Already at the airport (inside Security), leaving/coming back would add 3+ hours.

There is no point to 3, unless I'm Going round trip to/from EWR, and I would do it Sunday Morning. after Night in Hotel, Maybe 1hour from EWR.

If I'm going one way to DC Area, and could not get a flight Saturday Night, I would take Amtrak from the Airport Sunday Morning.

Alot depends on why I'm going to DC, Where in DC I would be, How long would I be there.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I would just take the commuter flight. It wouldn't be safe to drive long distance, late at night when you're tired, so not option 3. And I don't see the advantage of going through the hassle and expense of taking a shuttle to a hotel, shuttling back to the airport in the morning, and subjecting myself to security again. Just get it over with and take the commuter flight.
Problem is very late at night, especially Saturday night, there may not be any commuter flights to DC, so choice would be sleeping at a hotel or sleeping at airport.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,671,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
0. I would fly into IAD, DCA, BWI Directly

My 1st choice of your options would be 1. If there was such a flight that late I could take.
I'm Already at the airport (inside Security), leaving/coming back would add 3+ hours.

There is no point to 3, unless I'm Going round trip to/from EWR, and I would do it Sunday Morning. after Night in Hotel, Maybe 1hour from EWR.

If I'm going one way to DC Area, and could not get a flight Saturday Night, I would take Amtrak from the Airport Sunday Morning.

Alot depends on why I'm going to DC, Where in DC I would be, How long would I be there.
It should be implied that flying into D.C. directly isn't an option or else that would be the obvious choice.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 AM

5,683 posts, read 3,653,594 times
I would fly from EWR to DC on Saturday night, upon arrival. After all, you're already at the airport anyway; you might as well get it over with. If you stay in a hotel at EWR that night, that just means one more hotel check-in (I assume you'll be staying at a hotel in the DC area, regardless of when you arrive), plus one more airport check-in.

Keep in mind, though, that flight schedules are reduced on Saturday nights; so there may not be a commuter flight available when you arrive. If this is the case, I would look into taking an Amtrak train that night. (The trains run late into the night.) Though, it may arrive in DC at an awkward hour, so this may not be the best option. In which case, I would stay in a hotel at EWR that night and then fly or drive or take the train on Sunday morning.

Under no circumstances would I drive that night. I don't know where you're going in the DC area, but just using Silver Spring (a suburb to the immediate north) as an example, it's slightly more than a three-hour drive from Newark Airport to there. After taking a long flight and being tired and jet-lagged, the last thing you want to do is face I-95 for three hours.

I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't find a flight to Dulles Airport, as there is a lot of service to there from many different places. But I'm sure you have your reasons for flying into EWR instead.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 AM

5,468 posts, read 2,928,375 times
Check weather. Summer thunderstorms have begun. They play havoc on air travel.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 6,302,007 times
Because cost is a factor for me (I'm not sure if it is for the OP, though, but I'm answering what I would do), I would almost certainly fly. I cannot see how a car rental, especially an airport rental, and factoring in a hefty one-way rental fee, gas, tolls, etc., is going to be cheaper than a flight from EWR to DC if done right. Even if (and, in my experience, that is a big if) I could get the one-way rental fee waived, the savings still might not be enough to make me change my mind. And this doesn't even get into the pain of driving.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM

556 posts, read 762,258 times
Definitely fly or take Amtrak. I honestly think Amtrak is preferable - it's 3 hours from EWR to Washington Union Station, give or take 15 minutes depending on the exact train number. I find Amtrak on the NEC to be far more comfortable than a regional jet, with more leg room and you can fully recline the seat without annoying the person behind you. Booked well enough in advance, the Amtrak ticket is pretty cheap relative to the cost of renting a car or buying a plane ticket. The latest Saturday evening train leaves EWR at 9:27pm - call the hotel in DC to give them a heads up, and you can check in around 1am.

Depending on where you're staying in the DC area, a commuter flight into BWI or IAD is going to add considerable time to the trip if you need to get to DC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel