U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:47 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,898,223 times

Advertisements

So excited for the bf and I. We've never been. We fly into LAX on 9/5 and fly out of SFO on 9/12. I already secured the car rental for the week and we are just going to wing it hotel wise. So excited to go see everything!!

Anyone else do the same as far as winging it hotel and sightseeing wise?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 05:27 AM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
I assume you are planning to drive along highway 1 up the California coast which I would plan with at least one overnight on the way. I would stop to see the Hearst Castle which is fantastic.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 AM

357 posts, read 1,699,607 times
Make sure you do the 17 mile drive near Pebble Beach. Awesome!! I would take about 2 nights to travel up the PCH/Highway 1.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Sorry guys didn't mean to confuse you. Yes we're doing the PCH up to SF with overnight stays planned. I booked a hotel in SF for Wed-Sat. I figured we'd stay in LA Sat/Sunday and then start heading up Monday with no rushing. Soooo excited!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:12 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,962,962 times
People Beach drive as mentioned, Monterrey Aquarium, pier at Santa Cruz, Hearst Castle, walk the Golden Gate, Muir Woods....................we have been over every square inch of California and LA to SF is our favorite.

The Griffith Observatory in LA is a nice non tourist place to spend a bit of time.

Have a great trip!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
People Beach drive as mentioned, Monterrey Aquarium, pier at Santa Cruz, Hearst Castle, walk the Golden Gate, Muir Woods....................we have been over every square inch of California and LA to SF is our favorite.

The Griffith Observatory in LA is a nice non tourist place to spend a bit of time.

Have a great trip!
Thank you. We plan to explore all of California but we just have to do increments at a time. I think this will be a good one to start with!

Old 06-21-2015, 04:30 PM

40,230 posts, read 15,193,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So excited for the bf and I. We've never been. We fly into LAX on 9/5 and fly out of SFO on 9/12. I already secured the car rental for the week and we are just going to wing it hotel wise. So excited to go see everything!!

Anyone else do the same as far as winging it hotel and sightseeing wise?
Congrats on booking your CA trip!

For decades, my sister and her husband traveled every September with no set itinerary and no hotel reservations. They were always successful in finding reasonably-priced hotel rooms in or very near the cities they planned to visit. They never traveled to CA, so I can't speak for room availability there, but they had good luck in many other states.

Parking may be costly if you stay downtown in a big city, so if you're on a limited budget it may work better to stay in a hotel or motel just outside the city, where parking would be free or much less expensive. Just a thought.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Congrats on booking your CA trip!

For decades, my sister and her husband traveled every September with no set itinerary and no hotel reservations. They were always successful in finding reasonably-priced hotel rooms in or very near the cities they planned to visit. They never traveled to CA, so I can't speak for room availability there, but they had good luck in many other states.

Parking may be costly if you stay downtown in a big city, so if you're on a limited budget it may work better to stay in a hotel or motel just outside the city, where parking would be free or much less expensive. Just a thought.

I booked a room already in SF that's not right in the city with free parking but has access to everything. I know it's expensive for car parking there. I looked into several hotels in Union Square and it was almost $50 per night for valet. So I just decided to go out further. Cheaper all around

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM

40,230 posts, read 15,193,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I booked a room already in SF that's not right in the city with free parking but has access to everything. I know it's expensive for car parking there. I looked into several hotels in Union Square and it was almost $50 per night for valet. So I just decided to go out further. Cheaper all around
Sounds as though you're a smart cookie. You'll have a fab trip, I'm sure.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM

38,021 posts, read 55,817,679 times
Post in appropriate CA forum. Those guys are amazing! They helped me a lot. Also check the photo thread, it helps to determine what to see...
Have a fun trip!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel