Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Advertisements

I’m thinking about a trip to visit the Redwoods of norther California along the ocean this fall. I’m trying to figure out which city area to stay in for lodging. It appears that Crescent City and Eureka are both good choices however I don’t want to miss something else that might be better in that area. Also is there a better choice of parks to do some light hiking in than others. I’ve visited a travel website that helps point out some things however I thought there might be a few folks here on City Data that have been there and could give me a few tips or pointers; places to stay things to do or visit, etc. and anything to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I have enjoyed eating here for last 45 yrs. (Museum (free) is worth the stop, and we drive / walk around the 'mill town' and go to the beach.
Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast
Samoa Cookhouse - American (Traditional) - Samoa, CA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Family style / no menu. I usually plan my trips for French Toast breakfast (certain days... call for schedule). Dinner is a bit too much food and $$ for my old age. BUT as a motorcyclist at age 18 (MANY yrs ago), I enjoyed a WHOLE 9" apple and 9" Chocolate cream pie for dessert. Was back for Breakfast, and stayed and did laundry so could do lunch! (Didn't need to eat for about a week!)

Of course you want to catch all the trees, hikes, and Scenic drives (best motorcycle roads in USA)

Northern California | Ride California
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I toss a $500 vintage sport bike on the bumper of RV.
Lots of fun, CHEAP.

Be careful where you park... Branches can fall out of trees and CRUSH your car / tent / RV. Last trip happened to a rental car in parking lot. SMASHED to the ground!.

Stay in a park, or south of Crescent City in a small town. The bigger towns are not nice for lodging / quiet coastal ambiance. We stay in hospitality guest homes ($10/ night) so seldom in city, usually a gorgeous beach home with a guest cottage overlooking the ocean). Also we camp a lot in small RV, so stay in fairgrounds / forest service campgrounds. Ferndale was a nice quiet place to camp and has some older B&B's.

Do go north into Oregon and stay in some yurts at state parks (Very nice).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-21-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 01:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
I have camped in all the redwood parks in CA & I would recommend Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park...there are many trails there & most are flat & not difficult...you can hike as little or as far as you like...you can hike to, and camp on the beach if you desire (Gold's Bluff Beach). It is insanely beautiful there, one of my favorite places! The main campground is in the trees, the bathrooms have pay showers. If you don't camp, stay in Crescent City, you should be able to find inexpensive lodging. Eureka, TBH, has some scary areas...many homeless there.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM

80 posts, read 182,022 times
We made a short trip a month ago with starting point from San Francisco. We stayed in Eureka at Holiday Inn Express. It is a new hotel, clean and comfortable. I second Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park mentioned in a previous post.

Day 1 – SF to Eureka via Avenue of the Giants with lots of stops and short hikes. You will be driving through Redwoods and will see a lot. Overnight in Eureka.

Day 2 – Eureka to Redwoods at Oregon border. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (outstanding lots of hikes). This is THE REDWOODs that you need to see as it was explained by a ranger in the information center, and while it has State Park as part of the name it is actually joint National and State park together. Drive to Fern Canyon with nice hiking trails. Overnight in Eureka.

Day 3 – Eaureka to SF (leave early in the morning) via Pacific Coast Hwy 1. Takes long time to drive curvy roads, but the scenery is outstanding. Tiny towns, and incredible views. Do not miss MacKerricher State Park along the route with a nice boardwalk, and seals close up. Also Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens at Fort Bragg are lovely. Fort Ross State Historic Park a historic Russian settlement is a good stop as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m thinking about a trip to visit the Redwoods of norther California along the ocean this fall. I’m trying to figure out which city area to stay in for lodging.
Crescent City is a bit bleak for my tastes; have a look at Trinidad, Arcata and Ferndale for alternatives to Crescent City or Eureka. Ferndale in particular is a lovely little Victorian town off the highway but still close enough to the Avenue of the Giants etc. but also close to the Lost Coast, the last bit of coastal roadless wilderness in California. At Trinidad, the state park on the coast is very pretty. Both Ferndale and Trinidad won't have vast resources on the accommodation front, but both are worth a look.

And if by "the fall" you mean anytime after mid-October, then the odds will be building big time that the weather will be wet, so plan your gear and timing accordingly.

For a "twofer," consider extending the drive north into Oregon as far as Port Orford - some of Oregon's most beautiful coastal scenery.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Crescent City is a bit bleak for my tastes; have a look at Trinidad, Arcata and Ferndale for alternatives to Crescent City or Eureka.

Not bleak for me ... particularly if redwoods is the highlight of the trip.

To the OP ... search Seven Wonders of the Coast Redwoods

Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Trinidad doesn't have one of these ... although, Trinidad is a nice little community, and is worth staying at. I would couple Trinidad with visit to Prairie Creek redwoods.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 PM

But for Jedediah Smith redwoods, Crescent City would be the clear choice for lodging. Or Hiouchi, like the Hiouchi B&B ...

Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I have camped in all the redwood parks in CA & I would recommend Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park...there are many trails there & most are flat & not difficult...you can hike as little or as far as you like...you can hike to, and camp on the beach if you desire (Gold's Bluff Beach). It is insanely beautiful there, one of my favorite places! The main campground is in the trees, the bathrooms have pay showers. If you don't camp, stay in Crescent City, you should be able to find inexpensive lodging. Eureka, TBH, has some scary areas...many homeless there.

I love this place too

And I'd rather stay in Arcata than Eureka.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Eureka has some interesting lodging choices. If you like Victorians, try
www.eaglehouseinn.com/"]the Eagle House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel