U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,452,587 times

Advertisements

A good setup would be to take the camera and a super wide tele like an 18-200mm and 1 prime like a 50mm 1.8 or better for walking around. Of course it depends on what you like to take pictures of.

I mostly like photos of buildings and landscape shots so I very rarely find myself using longer end of a tele zoom. So i would typically bring a wide angle zoom and a 50mm prime. I generally put the zoom on while going to see specific sites and then use the 50mm while walking around and getting unexpected shots of people and activities.

Your best bet would probably check out some photo travel sites and see where people are taking photos from, like Shothotspot. Use this to find some great location and see what type of lenses you are really gonna need to get the shots you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,124,355 times
The suggestion to put any valuable camera gear in a checked bag is giving me the heebie jeebies. The only thing that goes into a checked bag is a tripod if you're taking one and that's because the TSA has issues with the ones with pointy tips at the end of the legs.

Everything else stays with you in the cabin because of the risk of theft and damage. You wouldn't check a laptop computer, would you?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 PM

40,255 posts, read 15,204,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agreed. On BA in F we were limited to two carry on's--one was a "small personal item." They didn't seem to worried about people with a very small third item (like a small case with a P&S type camera or a belly bag or something along those lines, but they definitely weren't allowing two full sized carry on's. On the US based carriers we've flown internationally the rules were the same as they are domestically. I want to think Air France was very strict on measurements as well as the number of bags (which definitely wasn't two plus a small personal item).
Thanks to you and others for the clarification. It's not two good-sized carry-ons; it's one carry-on bag plus a small item such as a purse, small camera bag or laptop. That's the way it was when I first traveled to Europe, 2 years ago.

This thread is chock-full of helpful info. Many thanks to everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,796,477 times
One time, I took a DSLR and several lenses on a trip to Asia. I tried to carry it all in my carry-on bag, but I also had a computer had a bunch of other stuff in the carry-on. The girl at the counter when I checked decided to weigh my carry-on bag. Supposedly, there was a 7kg weight limit and my carry on was 18kg with all the stuff inside. I was forced to take a lot of the stuff from the carry-on and put it into my checked bag. I ended up having to put two expensive lenses in my checked bag. To make a long story short, next time I'll just bring a good zoom lens for the camera and that'll be it.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,452,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
One time, I took a DSLR and several lenses on a trip to Asia. I tried to carry it all in my carry-on bag, but I also had a computer had a bunch of other stuff in the carry-on. The girl at the counter when I checked decided to weigh my carry-on bag. Supposedly, there was a 7kg weight limit and my carry on was 18kg with all the stuff inside. I was forced to take a lot of the stuff from the carry-on and put it into my checked bag. I ended up having to put two expensive lenses in my checked bag. To make a long story short, next time I'll just bring a good zoom lens for the camera and that'll be it.
You can take your heaviest lenses and put them somewhere on your person. Ideally a light jacket with many pockets. In fact they make light jackets with huge pockets just for air travel for this very purpose. Then once aboard you can safely stow them back in your carry-on.

To the OP

One thing I forgot to mention was that after you get back you can sort your photos by what focal length you used, software like lightroom make this easy. Then you can get a look at what you really shoot the most, this can help you narrow down your lens selections in the future.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 AM

15,094 posts, read 19,053,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The suggestion to put any valuable camera gear in a checked bag is giving me the heebie jeebies. The only thing that goes into a checked bag is a tripod if you're taking one and that's because the TSA has issues with the ones with pointy tips at the end of the legs.

Everything else stays with you in the cabin because of the risk of theft and damage. You wouldn't check a laptop computer, would you?
And never check prescription drugs, jewelry, or ANYTHING that's irreplaceable. Period. No exceptions unless your flying on a private jet.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
My boyfriend and I have planned a dream vacation for fall 2015. We'll spend more than a day in Venice and then will embark on an Adriatic cruise. Ports of call will be: Dubrovnik, Croatia; Athens, Greece; Ephesus, Turkey and Split, Croatia.

When we traveled to Europe in 2013, I resisted the temptation to take my good camera - a Nikon D3100 plus a 55 x 300 zoom lens - because I didn't want to deal with lugging it through airport security and of course wouldn't think of putting such expensive equipment in a checked bag. I opted to take a small pocket camera instead and took some lovely photos with it. However, I really missed having the bigger camera and zoom lens with me.

For the upcoming Adriatic cruise, I feel I'll be sorry if I don't take the big camera and lens. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of the most beautiful coastal cities in the world, as well as castles, cathedrals, ancient ruins and the like. Great photo ops out the wazoo! Consequently, I've been considering how to go about carrying my big camera through the airports.

My camera bag is a backpack, and my camera equipment takes up the whole thing, leaving no room for other items I want to carry onto the plane, such as one change of clothes, cosmetics and the like. I've been thinking of bubble-wrapping the camera and extra lens and packing it in my regular carry-on bag, sans the backpack.

I'd like to hear from other travelers who have taken their bigger cameras on similar trips. Were you glad you brought it? Did you pack your camera and lens(es) in your carry-on and store it in the overhead bin on the plane? Did you keep it on your person at all times? Did airport security require you to remove the camera for inspection? Please share stories of what did and didn't work for you.

Thanks!

PJ, I have a Samsonite rolling carry-on that is like a suitcase, except it is padded throughout with a padded middle divider. I put my laptop in one side with its accessories, and my camera bodies with lenses and charger and such, in the other side. It has a pocket on the outside where I put my meds and other items I think are important to have during the flight. If I wanted to, I could have a change of clothes in the side where my camera is, and nestle the cameras & lenses among the clothing.

I had to remove my laptop at the security checkpoint, but that's it.

In my regular luggage, I pack a Tamrac Velocity sling camera bag that I then transfer all my camera equipment to, once I arrive. The sling works really well for traveling and it makes it easy to change lenses if you play with it. Start now and practice with it so you can do it easier when you really need to.

Don't forget to buy extra SD cards and batteries, and make sure you charge them up. I had an issue with my charger not working and I was glad I had the extra batteries. I have three batteries for each camera (Nikon D90 & D5200).

Also, I use a camera strap on each camera that has a system for carrying those extra cards & batteries, plus a lens cleaner, in case having my camera bag would be too bulky for the activity (such as horseback riding).

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM

21,203 posts, read 11,826,310 times
I would not skip bringing a camera bag - aren't you going to want to have it for when you are out and about seeing the sites? If you don't normally take the camera bag with you, then maybe it doesn't matter, but I'd want to have one with me. So I'd take the camera bag as your personal item and then a carry on bag with the other things you need and don't want to put in checked luggage.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would not skip bringing a camera bag - aren't you going to want to have it for when you are out and about seeing the sites? If you don't normally take the camera bag with you, then maybe it doesn't matter, but I'd want to have one with me. So I'd take the camera bag as your personal item and then a carry on bag with the other things you need and don't want to put in checked luggage.
I toss my rig in my cross body when I'm not using it.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 PM

517 posts, read 569,273 times
Yeah for international flights, I see people literally carry what seems to be their entire life belongings onto the plane with them.

Now the bigger issue is to make sure your body can handle the extra weight...AND you have to keep it tracked at all times. Also be careful of thieves/thugs who have been known to target tourists with nice fancy cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or