U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:21 AM

8 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

I have a USA passport that will expire in a few months. I'm currently outside the usa and was planning to come back to the usa for a week or so... get it renewed... then head back outside the usa. The thing is i believe it takes few weeks to receive the new passport.

The thing is I know for certain i will have to come back to the usa in few months when my current passport expires. So i figured come back to usa get passport renewed... then it would be sent to my usa home... and well just make sure i come back to the usa in few months before my current passport expires... then if i do go outside the usa again... then i take the new one.

First off, is it true when you renew a passport, your current passport is no longer valid? If true, i didn't know this and this would be a problem for me since i only plan to stay in the usa for 1 week only mainly b/c im comign back to renew it but also b/c im allowed to stay 180 days in a row in my current country so i figure doing this would fix both issues.

The thing is i believe u can renew passport online so if u do that, then you still have your passport right or do you need to mail it in? Also what about the current picture? I would want a new picture since my passport is well 10 years old and want a new one. I don't recall the process 10 years ago when i got my passport but i think i either sent in a picture of myself or went to the place and they took my picture.

I read that you could expedite getting your passport for extra. Has anyone done this? I read you could even have this done in one day with hefty fees. But waiting a week for it would be fine as well. How long does it take on average to receive new passport? The thing im most concerned with is can i still keep my current passport and use it when i go and have a passport renewed? If so... then there will be zero issues at all with everything since i can come back to usa, renew it, then leave... then just make sure i come back to usa again when my current passport expires later on.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,899,852 times
Renew a Passport

Consider renewing your passport while outside the US.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 AM

I have to leave Mexico as well b/c my 180 days is up so thats why im doing this in usa...

Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 AM

556 posts, read 784,999 times
You do have to submit your old passport when you renew it - You can only have one valid passport at a time (edit - with some very rare exceptions that I doubt apply in this case). When you get your new passport, you also get your old one back with holes punched in the cover/ID page, so it's clearly invalid. (edit to clarify - this means you are without a passport while you're waiting for the new one, so you can't apply, leave the country, and return to pick up the new one).

Look at the information jaypee posted - for your next destination, choose a city with a US embassy or consulate. It's worth checking the city-specific embassy/consulate website for the cities you are considering, just to make sure they aren't experiencing delays. For example, I just looked at the Amsterdam Consulate website, and they have a huge notice about delays processing passports and visas.

If you do choose to apply while in the US, you will have to apply in person at a passport agency office. When applying in person, the fastest processing time is 8 days. You have to make an appointment at the passport agency, pay an extra $60 (in addition to the standard passport fees), and have proof of international travel that makes the in person/expedited service necessary.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Yes so when applying for it in person, they take your current passport? I just want to be sure on this part.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM

9,178 posts, read 17,661,325 times
They Void it (Punch holes in it), and return it,

(I've heard they scan each page before it get returned, But that never been confirmed).

Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM

556 posts, read 784,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin300 View Post
Yes so when applying for it in person, they take your current passport? I just want to be sure on this part.
Yes, they take it. When you get the new one, they also return the voided old one. You cannot apply for a new passport, then use the old one to travel while you wait for the new one. You either need to:

a) Apply for a renewal while overseas, in which case you need to plan to be in a city with a US Consulate or Embassy for a long enough period of time to get the new passport.

b) Apply in person for a renewal in the US - this carries an extra fee for expedited service, and you will need to stay in the US for the +/- 8 days that it takes. You will need to make an appointment and have proof of travel plans that require the renewal.

c) Apply through the mail - this is the cheapest option, but can take 4-6 weeks, and you will not be able to travel outside of the US while you wait.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,581,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin300 View Post
The thing is i believe u can renew passport online so if u do that, then you still have your passport right or do you need to mail it in?
You cannot renew online. You can get the form online, fill it out then print it. But you have to mail in your application, payment, photo, and current passport. And yes it takes weeks unless you pay to have it expedited.

Quote:
Also what about the current picture? I would want a new picture since my passport is well 10 years old and want a new one.
You will be required to submit a new picture.

Quote:
I read that you could expedite getting your passport for extra. Has anyone done this? I read you could even have this done in one day with hefty fees.
You can pay to have renewal expedited. I believe it is double the usual cost. I know people who have gone to a state department office in person to have a passport renewed same-day, but I have never done it.

Quote:
But waiting a week for it would be fine as well. How long does it take on average to receive new passport? The thing im most concerned with is can i still keep my current passport and use it when i go and have a passport renewed? If so... then there will be zero issues at all with everything since i can come back to usa, renew it, then leave... then just make sure i come back to usa again when my current passport expires later on.
IME, three weeks is typical to have a passport renewed. You cannot keep your current passport through the renewal process.

According to the US State Department website, you can renew your passport at any US embassy or consular office while in another country. That might be a better choice for you.

Renew a Passport

Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 AM

9,178 posts, read 17,661,325 times
One thing to keep in mind when your renew at US embassy or consular office, you might have a visa in your old passport. That might be a issue when you leave.

You need to bring both your old one so they can "Stamp" you out, but need your New One to scan the current passport number, and you can get back In, both to the US, or back to X.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM

15,316 posts, read 22,397,502 times
Yes as others have said they will take your current passport. You can get it renewed in a day at certain offices in the country. I believe Philadelphia and New York both have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel