U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times

Advertisements

This is doable, in fact preferable...if you're a band on tour. Otherwise, no way I'd enjoy visiting 4 cities that way. I'd say Philly/NYC is doable. Leave your car at a park & ride station and take the train into each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This is more than doable and I recommend it. If you just want to see the basic sights in Baltimore, Philly, and DC, 2 days is enough for that. And 1-2 days are fine for NYC to get a taste of it. Note, most people who live in NYC haven't "done it all." Note, as far as driving goes, the drive from DC to NYC is 4-5 hours. And the other cities are all in between the two destinations.
The drive between DC and NYC can take longer if one hits traffic due to anything unusual like an accident, etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 PM

10,777 posts, read 13,673,547 times
6+ hours on interstate 95 is not how I'd want to spend my vacation. I'd say drive in the middle of the night..but guess when they do construction on the major roads? And sometimes there is no warning, and you're stuck on one lane on I-95 with tractor trailers all around you crawling.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:03 PM

5,911 posts, read 6,713,109 times
Consider taking the train...all you will be doing otherwise is driving....95/Jersey Turnpike......ugh...could spend hours just getting into NYC, plus an hour to park....plus the trip to the airport...depending on time of day....c/b two hours to LGA (or it could be be 30 minutes) or three hours to JFK (or it could be an hour). One hour out to Newark...plus drop off time at each location. Car is just going to be a hassle on a trip where the "sites" are in town and the car is just a PIA.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,032 times
It depends on the type of trip you want to do. If you want to explore monuments and museums then it's not enough, but if you just to hang out in a neighborhood or two and do a little shopping and grab a meal then it's enough time. Personally I enjoy the freedom of having a car, yes there is the expense of parking at times but it isn't a certainty, I have found free parking in all of those cities and I have had to pay upwards to $20+ for a few hours of parking. As other have said, the time that you hit the road is critical but assuming that you don't get caught up in rush hour traffic or an accident it's not a bad drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel