U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,303,945 times

Advertisements

I am leaving for Paris in a few days with a layover in Newark. We've been having rain here for a few days which has been causing airport delays, so I'm concerned that flights might be delayed.

Let's say that our origin flight is delayed, but the flight from Newark to Paris is on time. Our layover is only 1.5hr. If we miss the flight to Paris and the next one isn't until the next day, does the airline usually put us on the next flight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
The airline will put you on the next available flight, it has seats on. It may NOT be the next flight, it could be a flight a day or two later.

You can be pro-active, If it looks like your flight to Newark is going to be real late, ask to be re-routed thru a different city that has flight to Paris, My Guess is you are going on United.

Check the flight schedules from
Your city to Chicago (ORD) to Paris.
Your city to Washington Dulles (IAD) to Paris.

If there is a later flight to Somewhere else in Europe, ask if you can take that flight and have them connect you there for a flight to Paris, Suggest They re-book you on a united Star Alliance partner Airline, take a connection @ that hub for a flight to Paris.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Note: On United a long delay (day or two) is not likely,

They might re-route you the next day on a AM flight to London, then to Paris from London.

Grab the PDF and save it locally on your PC/Tablet and suggest things to the CSR.

Mobile Tools and Apps | United Airlines

Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,303,945 times
Thank you! Correct, United.

We are leaving from St Louis. I will check that morning and if it looks like there will be delays, I will try to catch an earlier flight from STL to possibly ORD.

If we are put on a flight a day or two later, does that mean our trip will have to be cut short, or can they extend our return date?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,137,722 times
Whenever I experience a flight delay, I think about the ancient Israelites. It took 'em forty years to make an eleven-day journey. Now [i[]that's[/i] a flight delay!

Yes, lepoisson, they can extend your return date.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

Yes, lepoisson, they can extend your return date.
CAN and WILL, though, are two separate issues....good luck! I bet it all works out for the best. United has plenty of flights they can find to get you there.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 AM

15,071 posts, read 19,019,086 times
If it's a weather related delay and you require a night in a hotel, the airline is not paying the bill. If you miss a day or two of your vacation due to weather delays and want to change 3 your return flight, you'll be paying whatever the costs are for changing those flights.

Airlines are not responsible for weather related problems. They have no control over the weather; therefore, no liability. They have some liability when delays occur due to mechanical, personnel or other problems that the company had control over.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If it's a weather related delay and you require a night in a hotel, the airline is not paying the bill. If you miss a day or two of your vacation due to weather delays and want to change 3 your return flight, you'll be paying whatever the costs are for changing those flights.

Airlines are not responsible for weather related problems. They have no control over the weather; therefore, no liability. They have some liability when delays occur due to mechanical, personnel or other problems that the company had control over.
This is 100% spot on.

You *might* get lucky and they *might* extend your return ticket without penalty, but do not count on it if the delay is weather related. Check your travel insurance policy, it might cover weather related expenses.

We had a weather related forced overnight in PHX last week. No hotel was provided. People were freaking out, many slept in the airport. A quick check of Expedia on my Smartphone got me a very nice room at a Marriott Residence Inn a couple miles from the airport with a free shuttle and free breakfast for $88 including tax. There were many less expensive options, including the Econolodge for $50! I can't understand why someone traveling with two kids would subject them to sleeping in an airport when there was a very cost effective hotel with a free shuttle and free breakfast a mile away. They probably spent half of that feeding them the next morning.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:51 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Be proactive.

If the airline has to untangle a ground stop, there could be several thousand passengers needing rebooking. If your plane out of St. Louis is looking like it's delayed too long, you want to handle any rebooking while you're still in St. Louis and not wait until a connection is already missed. (You'll be surprised at how many people will just kind of wait until they outright miss their connecting flight to do this.)

It is also probably going to be far easier to talk with a gate agent in St. Louis than it is to contact them on the phone or at your connecting hub during a hub ground stop.

"I have to connect to an international flight." can sometimes get you moved ahead in line or moved to a shorter line when you're trying to rebook (Okay, at least with Delta, which somewhat has their act together for IRROPS) since it can be a more complex process for the gate /ticketing agent.

When it all goes pear-shaped, the job of the gate agent is to resolve as many problems as quickly as possible, They will give you a solution that is the easiest thing for the airline to do, which is not always the best solution for you. As you wait in line, use your smartphone to find your top 1-3 preferred rebooking options and offer them to the gate agent. As long as they're reasonable and space is available, the odds are good you can get a preferred option from them.

Be the politest person in the world to the gate/counter agent. There are things they have to do under contract of carriage rules and many more things they can do beyond that for your benefit. You want them to go beyond the minimum. A polite and sincere-sounding 'bad day for everyone today, eh?' can make an important connection and get them on your side. (Just limit any introductory chit-chat to no more than 10 seconds because there are a lot of people waiting behind you who also need help.)

Old 06-24-2015, 03:18 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,934,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I am leaving for Paris in a few days with a layover in Newark. We've been having rain here for a few days which has been causing airport delays, so I'm concerned that flights might be delayed.

Let's say that our origin flight is delayed, but the flight from Newark to Paris is on time. Our layover is only 1.5hr. If we miss the flight to Paris and the next one isn't until the next day, does the airline usually put us on the next flight?
Looking at flight schedules and the info you provided here, it looks like you're doing STL-EWR on a flight that arrives at either 16:06 or (more likely) 16:30, and EWR-CDG is leaving at 17:55.

United has 2 daily flights to Paris, 17:55-07:45 and 21:10-10:55. So if you miss the 17:55, unless the 21:10 flight is full you will be rebooked on that flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or