Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

Ryanair stock things like Pain Au Chocolate, Doritos/Pringles you know fresh packaged things rather than the crappy clingfilm sandwiches.

Ryanair makes you pay to eat palm oil crap and you're ready to lick thug O'Reilly arse, how pathetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I carry peanut M&M's and beef jerky, big bag to share with my seatmates. I don't expect to eat on short flights-- I can go 3 hours without eating-- but there is always the danger of long layovers.

Granola bars work well, too. I want something that doesn't spoil so it can be used as snacks at my destination if I don't use it on the plane.

Tuna sandwich might be kinda rough on your seatmate, if they happen to be someone who gets airsick. You risk having them pay you back for the nasty fish smell by puking on you.

I also don't recommend a bucket of fried chicken; hungry passengers might mug you for your chicken.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Competition drives the prices down-not exploitation of customers who have no other choice. .
But customers did have a choice and they chose low prices. Airlines that offered premium service went out of business.

Businesses are not stupid. If there were a market for premium service airline products, somebody would offer it. Just like there is a market for luxury cars.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I wouldn't discount corporate greed so quickly...this just in:

US Probing Possible Airline Collusion That Kept Fares High - ABC News
Collusion is illegal and should be prosecuted. Greed had nothing to do with establishing seat sizes.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM

518 posts, read 764,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Airlines FINALLY have a couple of good profit years ... and now they are "greedy bastards."

What about all of those years where MOST airlines were hemorrhaging money???
Looks like someone has an axe to grind.

Not sure who you're directing the comment to, but I certainly am not against making money. And I do not like to see any company as large as airlines losing money since they provide such critical part of the nations transportation and travel for business/pleasure for americans.

Collusion is illegal, full stop. No debate there.

Oh and you were asking what about all of those years where MOST airlines were hemorrhaging money???

The people of the United States bailed out the airlines after 9/11 and put them on life support to the tune of $15 billion dollars:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlin...dustry_bailout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Collusion is illegal and should be prosecuted. Greed had nothing to do with establishing seat sizes.
From original article:
Quote:
The U.S. government is investigating possible collusion among major airlines to limit available seats, which keeps airfares high, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press.
If I was wanting to maximize profits as executive of an airline, I'd welcome the so called "seat discipline" to keep prices high.

I don't see how greed is NOT a driving force behind colluding to drive prices higher, and thus more money:

Definition of greed: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

I'm not against earning profits or people making money...that's how economies work. But when the greed becomes excessive the customers lose out on the "free market" forces that would drive down costs. (And presumably offer better services to customers)

Of course I assume none of us in this thread are privy to the boardroom discussions of big airlines, but when you claim that airlines would "gladly" offer better food an bigger seats...yes they do, for the business and first class. The economy sardine cans seems to be overpopulated than ever. These days every flight is almost full and often I hear them needing people to "volunteer" to give their seat for a meager travel voucher due to an oversold situation.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
These days the airlines don't offer meals outside of first/business, and even then only on longer flights.

What are your "go to" foods to take and eat on the plane?
Philly Cheesesteak from the cheesesteak vendor at PHL. I like to stink up the whole plane with that delight.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well I usually fly Ryanair so I use the buy on board facility that is provided. To be honest the food is quite nice and the cost of it is reasonable. Ryanair stock things like Pain Au Chocolate, Doritos/Pringles you know fresh packaged things rather than the crappy clingfilm sandwiches.

Otherwise I would go to a place airside such as Subway and get cold sandwiches and crisps. There is no point in getting hot stuff.

If it is a long haul flight I will probably not buy anything. Most of my flights are no longer than 7 hours so I just grin and bear it, the food isn't that bad.
Pringles fresh packaged? What on earth are you thinking? Those things have enough preservatives and artificial ingredients to last through the next millennium.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I never leave the house without a couple of granola bars. Most US domestic flights don't feed you more than a snack in first, and nothing in the cattle section. If my flight will be over a mealtime, I typically pick something up in the airport--a rilled chicken salad, a turkey sandwich, something without any pungent or offensive odors. I wouldn't bring something like tuna, garlic, curry, or fried fast food. I try to be as polite as possible to fellow travelers, and there are plenty of options that don't have odors that some/many would find offensive.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:43 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Pringles fresh packaged? What on earth are you thinking? Those things have enough preservatives and artificial ingredients to last through the next millennium.
Thats your opinion. I don't always eat that anyway, the last time I eat a sandwich and pan Au chocolate.. Anyway my point was that they have fresh food.. Which is often cheaper than subway etc.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM

518 posts, read 764,156 times
Quote:
I never leave the house without a couple of granola bars. Most US domestic flights don't feed you more than a snack in first, and nothing in the cattle section. If my flight will be over a mealtime, I typically pick something up in the airport--a rilled chicken salad, a turkey sandwich, something without any pungent or offensive odors. I wouldn't bring something like tuna, garlic, curry, or fried fast food. I try to be as polite as possible to fellow travelers, and there are plenty of options that don't have odors that some/many would find offensive.
Good point. I think a tuna sandwich as long as it's kept cold (maybe in one of those insulated lunch bags) may not smell as bad.

I've traveled with my parents before and mom has brought with us hard boiled eggs to eat...yeah now that can be quite a nostril experience for the other people that i would not want to impose on others if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel