U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Good point on insurance. I never use the insurance from the rental car company if I'm in the USA and instead use my own policy's coverage, but if it's an international rental, I use my credit card's CDW coverage and then maybe take out the rest through the rental company if I'm in a country where there's a higher risk of it getting stolen or burglarized.
I use my credit card and personal auto insurance to cover in the US. I seldom rent overseas, but when I do I take full coverage, even though I have it through the credit card. It's not worth the hassle to save what amounts to $15 a day for the couple of days we have the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,850,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
1. Is it worth it to pay the $25 fee for automatic checkin(would this have to be paid twice for return flight also) Or just checkin right away once able to (24 hrs in advance, right) online. We are both worried of not being able to sit together on plane, my husband is very nervous about flying. If we checkin as soon as allowed, are we garenteed B group seating most likely?
"Worth" is relative ... for me, it's worth it just so that I don't have to remember to check in exactly 24 hours before.

Quote:
2. We plan to use the wanna get away, which is best prices. I understand its non refundable. Are there any other cons to using this though?
Non-refundable, but you can cancel and reschedule within a year with no additional charge.

Quote:
3. It shows to arrive 90 mins early for flight. Is that enough time or should we arrive even sooner?
Should be plenty. I rarely do more than an hour, but I'm a seasoned traveler. Allowing yourself 90 minutes will help manage anxiety (i.e. you won't worry about rushing or being late)

Quote:
4. For carry on, we plan to have one carry on each and It allows a small personal item. Im guessing a carry on and purse is allowed? i hoped to have my purse and my ipad with me. We are trying to pack light, 1 week trip, to not have to do checked luggage.

5. We plan to either purchase or use shampoos, toothpaste ect at hotels that offer or buy travel size during week trip as I know these have restrictions in airport. however, my husband likes hot sauces and may purchase one during trip in AZ. Im sure this has restrictions for carry ons, so would it be best to have at least one checked in bag for souvenirs?
Combining these since they're the same issue. Since Southwest doesn't charge for a checked bag, I would suggest that you check one so that you can bring whatever toiletries you need (put them in doubled ziploc baggies). Buying them at the hotel will be VERY expensive. And you'll be able to bring back the hot sauces. As someone else mentioned, split both of your clothes between the checked and the carry-on, so that if a bag is delayed, you've both got something to wear.

Quote:
7. Lastly, iv seen some say to book well in advance, others a couple months ect. Our trip will be start of OCT this year. We know were able to get the time off for it, but hate booking to early as we never know what could happen by then. That said, I dont want to wait to long and prices go up. Is 2 months in advance to book ok?
Southwest really doesn't fluctuate a lot (at least not as much as the legacy carriers). If you're comfortable with the dates, I say go ahead and buy. If you wait too long, there may not be availability on the flights you want.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

457 posts, read 455,863 times
If you get hot sauce in Phoenix you can put it in your rolling carryon, and then check that on the way home.

As others have mentioned, all rental cars in PHX are in the rental car terminal that is across the street. Free buses to the rental car terminal run often.

A quick search on Expedia shows American also has flights that run about $400 a person rount trip in October. That airline allows you to pick seats, so you don't need to worry about checking in early. Especially if your connection ends up being short, you will know what seats you have on the second flight before your first one lands. Though the downside there is you would have to pay for the checked bag on the way home.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 2,202,482 times
I think everyone else has nailed questions 1-7, so I'll throw in a few general tips.

-Airplanes can get cold. Even though you're flight to a hot desert, carry a cardigan or hoodie that you can zip up or throw over yourself like a blanket. Some airlines no longer offer blankets and the ones they do have are ridiculously thin.

-Wear shoes that you can easily slip on and off, as you might have to remove them going through security.

-Eat, drink, and use the bathroom before boarding, since they no longer feed people and airplane bathrooms are teeny tiny. Also know that airport food prices are higher than normal, even for the same restaurant chains you find in the mall.

-Airplane air is dehydrating. If you're flying late at night or are going to take a nap, you might want to slip moist towelettes in your purse to freshen up your face and hands. That is, if you like, you drool when you sleep!

Oh and I think two months in advance is fine for booking. Prices fluctuate even on the same day. You will find better fares if you buy them really late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, because less people are shopping for them at that time. A study by CheapAir.com found that 54 days ahead was the best time to book.

Have fun!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:20 PM

486 posts, read 650,362 times
Drink a lot before boarding the airplane.

"Arrive 2 hours prior to flight for US travel, 3 hours prior for international travel."

https://skyharbor.com/customerservic...eYouLeave.html

Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,276,785 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFbWJJj9uFU

Old 06-27-2015, 07:40 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,154,967 times
Quote:
We travel a lot, but always by car (longest was 18 hour drive) Just hubby and i, mid 20s. We however have no choice but to fly this time. Will leave Dayton OH airport and fly to Phoenix AZ with stop over in Colorado. Round trip. Being the first time to book flight plus rental car, im pretty nervous. I am mostly looking at southwest Airlines as they are the cheapest I found. I had some questions though and would love some imput & advice.

1. Is it worth it to pay the $25 fee for automatic checkin(would this have to be paid twice for return flight also) Or just checkin right away once able to (24 hrs in advance, right) online. We are both worried of not being able to sit together on plane, my husband is very nervous about flying. If we checkin as soon as allowed, are we garenteed B group seating most likely?

2. We plan to use the wanna get away, which is best prices. I understand its non refundable. Are there any other cons to using this though?

3. It shows to arrive 90 mins early for flight. Is that enough time or should we arrive even sooner?

4. For carry on, we plan to have one carry on each and It allows a small personal item. Im guessing a carry on and purse is allowed? i hoped to have my purse and my ipad with me. We are trying to pack light, 1 week trip, to not have to do checked luggage.

5. We plan to either purchase or use shampoos, toothpaste ect at hotels that offer or buy travel size during week trip as I know these have restrictions in airport. however, my husband likes hot sauces and may purchase one during trip in AZ. Im sure this has restrictions for carry ons, so would it be best to have at least one checked in bag for souvenirs?

6. We plan to do a flight plus rental car deal, its roughly around $800 for both round trip in Oct. since the rental car is at the phoenix airport (its actually across the street it appears) will the airport have a shuttle or way for us to get there, or do we need a taxi or just walk? I tried looking it up on SWA website but couldnt find it and wasnt sure what to plan for.

7. Lastly, iv seen some say to book well in advance, others a couple months ect. Our trip will be start of OCT this year. We know were able to get the time off for it, but hate booking to early as we never know what could happen by then. That said, I dont want to wait to long and prices go up. Is 2 months in advance to book ok?

Any general advice for first time flyers would be great as well! Thanks so much!
To me this isn't a long flight, its only 5 hours and you've split it up, it should be fine. I would've just done it at once but I understand you want to break it up. I will answer your query.

1. I'm not American and when I go there I travel with United or Delta who let you select your seat. I have travelled on Ryanair, If I were you I would check in as soon as possible. The airlines that do not let you select your seat WILL give you two a seat together as long as you are in the same booking and check in EARLY. I would not buy the automatic checkin. Just remember to check in as soon as possible.
2. No, the price is a cheap advanced fare which means you get the seat and nothing else.
3. I would arrive 90 minutes or earlier if you haven't travelled before just so you are relaxed.
4. For carry on it is a Boeing plane so you can bring a suitcase onboard if you want. What you are bringing its fine!
5. Yes but put them inside the suitcase instead.
6.?
7. Not for low cost. I would book 5 months.

Enjoy your flight. remember the turbuelence is just air hitting the plane, the plane is not dropping.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 AM

6,324 posts, read 6,996,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I think everyone else has nailed questions 1-7, so I'll throw in a few general tips.
Good thinking! This hadn't occurred to me since flying is second nature...well, some thoughts from my perspective.
-I like to bring earplug style earphones. Helps with listening to media and/or sleeping.
-I dont do usually do this but having chewing gum can help when your ears start popping. Just anything to suck on I guess.
-I'll second the thought of planes potentially being cold and being prepared to take off shoes in security.
-WiFi might be available but I'd download some tv shows/movies if you want something to watch while traveling.

SW is a fun airline...usually have employees who are helpful and easygoing. You may want to purchase the earlybird check-in for one of you, but it takes me 10 seconds to set an alert on my phone for 24 hours and 10 minutes before the flight, and that hasn't failed me yet. (Although one time my wife and I still didnt sit together cause we barely made our flight...we usually arrive 30-45 minutes before haha.)

Enjoy!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times
I just set a personal best for longest trip without taking my socks off. Covering 176 degrees of longitude and eleven time zones. Left home in Victoria Texas at 9am Tuesday, flew IAH, AMS, IST, FRU,then minibus to Karakol, Kyrgyzstan about 45 hours elapsed time. Four more meridians of longitude and it would have been shorter to go around the other way. I crossed the Atlantic to get within 100 miles of China.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:41 PM

14,141 posts, read 20,926,108 times
Can you not get a direct flight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or