U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:18 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post

I know they have size restrictions though for carry ons. I plan to bring a duffle bag as a carry on. Using the measurements on SWA site, it would be fine, but they don't count the handles do they? The handles are long(being a duffle bag) and could be tucked inside then zipped up if needed. Would that be accepted then?
As long as you can squish it into an overhead bin, you're okay, and it sounds like it does. On an entirely full flight, you'll sometimes have the gate agent ask people to gate check large items, but when that happens, the airline employees generally 'go after' people with wheeled luggage first because they make the assumption that it will be the largest items people try to bring on board. My black shoulder back is actually bigger than most carry on wheelies, and always gets waved through in a limited cabin baggage situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
With Southwest it does make sense to keep checking your fare after your purchase, especially after the announce a fare sale. It is not unusual for their fares to go down $10-$20. This just happened to me for a flight I booked to New Orleans, you are able to rebook your ticket at the lower fare and get a credit. If you are a frequent flyer on Southwest you could use the credit towards another ticket or you could probably use it towards paying for Early Bird Check in.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Can't use a credit or GC toward early bird check-in on SWA. Annoyingly, that much be purchased with a credit card.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Another question, once we book our flight, is there a chance that the flight times will change? My mom flew with another airline one way a few months ago and her flight departure kept changing times from leaving at 9am to 5am ect. Is this possible for southwest to do also?
It's not uncommon for flight times to change prior to the day of travel, but they're usually minor changes. I've never had a flight change to 4 hours earlier. Day-of travel changes are usually due to weather or mechanical delays.

Another note ... you've probably seen "WN" used a couple times throughout the thread. That's the airline designator for Southwest. Seasoned travelers like to use it ... I guess it's supposed to make them look like they're "in the know," but they fail to remember that infrequent travelers aren't going to know what they're talking about.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes,

Auto Checkin get you sort-a of towards the front of the cattle call, It will check you in so you will be 1st X [~15] to 35 people on the plane.

Wanna get a away is there Non/Refundable Fare, You can cancel and get a credit, but not your $'s back.

I do not know why you refer to it as a cattle call as all that Southwest does is to ask you to line up in order by number. Most children have mastered that skill by Grade 3.

If you compare that to the legacy airlines where everyone crowds around the gate once they start boarding and has to first wait for the elite to board first and then each boarding group, you have to wonder why they are still boarding in that slow manner.

I know that this will be difficult for airline personnel to understand BUT my goal when boarding a jet is to get on, get seated, and get to the destination. Southwest has pretty much automated the process and they can load and unload a plane in about half the time of the legacy airlines.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
With Southwest it does make sense to keep checking your fare after your purchase, especially after the announce a fare sale. It is not unusual for their fares to go down $10-$20. This just happened to me for a flight I booked to New Orleans, you are able to rebook your ticket at the lower fare and get a credit. If you are a frequent flyer on Southwest you could use the credit towards another ticket or you could probably use it towards paying for Early Bird Check in.

For example, I booked Phoenix-Cleveland on Southwest for $330 for Thanksgiving time. I rebooked two days later when the fare dropped to $256. You have a year to use the credit.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Southwest has pretty much automated the process and they can load and unload a plane in about half the time of the legacy airlines.
I've never noticed THAT significant a time savings.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:32 AM

1,964 posts, read 3,473,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I've never noticed THAT significant a time savings.
Me either...

Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I do not know why you refer to it as a cattle call as all that Southwest does is to ask you to line up in order by number. Most children have mastered that skill by Grade 3.

If you compare that to the legacy airlines where everyone crowds around the gate once they start boarding and has to first wait for the elite to board first and then each boarding group, you have to wonder why they are still boarding in that slow manner.

I know that this will be difficult for airline personnel to understand BUT my goal when boarding a jet is to get on, get seated, and get to the destination. Southwest has pretty much automated the process and they can load and unload a plane in about half the time of the legacy airlines.
I agree. I think that the assigned seating process is more of a cattle call since Southwest added the numbering system rather than broad group. People are much nicer and there is no way to "skip" the line, my number is smaller that yours so I get in front of you, it doesn't matter if you have been standing in line since the group was asked to line up and I show up seconds before the line starts boarding. With traditional boarding it seems like everyone crowds at the gate regardless of which group is supposed to be boarding and the people just bottle neck and refuse to let people by

Old 07-01-2015, 02:10 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Another note ... you've probably seen "WN" used a couple times throughout the thread. That's the airline designator for Southwest. Seasoned travelers like to use it ... I guess it's supposed to make them look like they're "in the know," but they fail to remember that infrequent travelers aren't going to know what they're talking about.
It's because it's faster to type two characters than it is nine. Plus when you're putting together a long post it's easier than typing Southwest five times, and for the final comment, when you get your ticket, that's what the ticket will be labelled.

All that being said, on a post by someone who doesn't fly much, it's a bit of a dick move. If the person doesn't know, then your comment is worthless for anything other than showing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or