U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's because it's faster to type two characters than it is nine. Plus when you're putting together a long post it's easier than typing Southwest five times, and for the final comment, when you get your ticket, that's what the ticket will be labelled.

All that being said, on a post by someone who doesn't fly much, it's a bit of a dick move. If the person doesn't know, then your comment is worthless for anything other than showing off.
I get that people use it because it's shorter. That's fine ... use two characters. SW is generally what novice travelers will understand. It's been used in the thread, and it was probably better understood than WN. Even if they see "WN" on their ticket, they're probably not going to realize that's the IATA code for Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I get that people use it because it's shorter. That's fine ... use two characters. SW is generally what novice travelers will understand. It's been used in the thread, and it was probably better understood than WN. Even if they see "WN" on their ticket, they're probably not going to realize that's the IATA code for Southwest.
But Air Namibia doesn't fly from Dayton to Phoenix...

You must have missed the second part where I said it was useless to use it if people didn't know what it would mean.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:25 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
No, I got the second part. I was just responding to your reasons for using WN as a shorter version of Southwest.

And I don't think anyone is going to think in this context that anyone is suggesting Air Namibia

Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times
Yea the Connection in Windhoek is a hard one.

OP we all are getting a little silly now.... with the Off Topic Stuff....

Old 07-03-2015, 11:52 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
The bag should be OK if the handles "squish" enough to fit within the size requirements.

Pricing on Southwest differs from the big US legacy carriers - the prices to do not fluctuate. They offer a fixed number of seats in each price bucket for each flight. Once a price bucket is sold out, that's it for that flight. The lowest price you see today for a specific flight is as low as it's going to be, and will only increase as more people buy seats on that flight. With Southwest, it's always better to buy as soon as possible.
That's not true. I've saved as much as $90 on a SW flight when the priced dropped. I think they indeed use price buckets but the cost of those buckets fluctuates based on certain models. It pays to keep checking, although perhaps not worth the time and effort lol.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:31 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
You are all so very helpful and answered every question I had, and then some! I actually feel a little better about flying now, it may not be quite so complicated as it seems at first.

I know they have size restrictions though for carry ons. I plan to bring a duffle bag as a carry on. Using the measurements on SWA site, it would be fine, but they don't count the handles do they? The handles are long(being a duffle bag) and could be tucked inside then zipped up if needed. Would that be accepted then?

Again, huge thanks to everyone!!

Himain - the only options I seen for soutwest from DAY to PHX were stop over flights.. I would prefer direct flight but also believe they would be more expensive?
If it's a smaller duffle like what you might use as a gym bag it is fine. If it's larger, it will be too big. Unless it isn't full and can fit into the spacer.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
From DAY to PHX? Don't think such a beast exists...
Probably on US Air.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If it meets the size guidelines, take it. If it won't go, they'll just check it for you. Zero reason to stress about it. You'd be amazed what people try to bring on.

Don't worry about the handles, straps etc, they don't count.

Here's my advice for what it's worth.

Go, have a good time, buy what you want, check a bag coming home so there's no hassle. Generally speaking people are very helpful in getting you to where you need to be. The trick is to stay positive and calm, and you'll get through it all just fine.
FYI, they won't count on a duffle, but will on a rolling bag. Just want to clarify for anyone reading.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
FYI, they won't count on a duffle, but will on a rolling bag. Just want to clarify for anyone reading.
Agreed. I was refering to the OP. They'll count the wheels too on a roller if they stick out. It's amazing how big of a soft bag you can carry v. rollers. I have a Red Oxx Sky Boss, and that sucker can get really big. I've only ever been asked to check it once, and that was because I had a "normal" sized carry-on as well that looked tiny in comparison, and it was in Shanghai, where they're not known for their flexibility to rules.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:08 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,854,778 times
Huge thanks to everyone who has offered advice!! I am still reading through but tons of good info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or