Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 AM

162 posts, read 153,809 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have asked for travel advice before and had some really good suggestions so I'm just doing a re-run of things. I will be working this summer for 1 month (July) but I have Fridays and Mondays off. Because of the long 4-day weekends, I was thinking of doing at least one or maybe two trips in the States. Any suggestions? I haven't been around in the states much but I've been to Jersey, LA, VA, DC, Atlanta, NC.

I will also have the first week of August off and would like to try to get out of the country again for that week. The last place I visited was Japan for spring break. Mainly, I just want to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet, good food and think about things. I am a NYC teacher and the school year just ended so I've got lots of free time away from the kiddies. Thanks in advance to all who reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
What are your interests? budget? restrictions?
Summer is the high season for travel in most places.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What are your interests? budget? restrictions?
Summer is the high season for travel in most places.
No restrictions. Again, I just want to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet, good food and think about things. Maybe enjoy the weather or breeze somewhere with nice scenery and take pictures.

Not really concerned about budget either, but I guess I am looking to spend $1000-$1500 on a round trip plane ticket somewhere.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
No restrictions. Again, I just want to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet, good food and think about things. Maybe enjoy the weather or breeze somewhere with nice scenery and take pictures.

Not really concerned about budget either, but I guess I am looking to spend $1000-$1500 on a round trip plane ticket somewhere.
Use Cathay Pacific's great nonstops from JFK to Vancouver BC, maybe get a car and head up to the Sunshine Coast or up to Whistler - less crowded in the summer compared to ski season. Vancouver itself is wonderfully cosmopolitan, and the region is full of photographic opportunities. US dollar is also very strong at the moment.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Use Cathay Pacific's great nonstops from JFK to Vancouver BC, maybe get a car and head up to the Sunshine Coast or up to Whistler - less crowded in the summer compared to ski season. Vancouver itself is wonderfully cosmopolitan, and the region is full of photographic opportunities. US dollar is also very strong at the moment.
I have never been to vancouver before but I will keep this in mind. Also I don't drive. Tend to take a taxi if I have to which can be expensive. How about a place where I don't have to do much driving?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:18 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
I have never been to vancouver before but I will keep this in mind. Also I don't drive. Tend to take a taxi if I have to which can be expensive. How about a place where I don't have to do much driving?
Vancouver could still work admirably, or San Francisco. Over the pond, Amsterdam or Edinburgh.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 PM

138 posts, read 125,340 times
Hi Lovebird!

When you say you don't drive, I'm assuming that as you are in NYC you don't drive at all. Accordingly, my suggestions will be based on that.

WEEKENDS

While you've been to DC, you can make a relatively cheap weekend to the DC area from NYC. Vamoose Bus (Vamoose Bus - NYC | Maryland | Virginia) runs between Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and Arlington/Rosslyn, VA and it is cheap. The Rosslyn drop-off point is a 5 minute walk from Metro (our subway system). I've done inexpensive weekends between here and NYC, and Vamoose is great! (I have zero financial interest in Vamoose, other than the fact I like to save money.) Beyond the usual tourist spots in DC, there are many places to explore. Metro brings you to lots of places in the DC area so between that and walking, you can easily cover the city. (Honestly though, the NYC subway system is better (one relatively inexpensive fare to all locations at all times, express trains, 24/7 service for starters).) Dining options around the Mall are terrible, but you don't have to go far to find good fare.

100 Free (& Almost Free) Things to Do in Washington DC | washington.org

Boston is also an option. I grew up in NH, but had lots of fun in Boston as a young adult. The T (their subway) is fairly extensive, so getting around should be pretty easy. You have the city, as well as Cambridge, on the T. Where DC is a hot swamp in the summer, Boston is more pleasant weatherwise, and is a fun and culturally rich city.

TRIP

I love San Francisco! It's a very walkable city. Getting from SFO to the city itself will require either a cab or some kind of airport limo (van) service, but once in the city itself you can get to places pretty easily either by cable car (early in the morning is better for longer distance travel), or by foot. Food is excellent, at least potentially. Use your NYC sense, and you should be fine.

For instance, my wife, daughter, and I went to SF a couple years ago and I saw this little place in Chinatown. I believe it was called House of Dim Sum. I ordered. It looked like a deli counter. I had no idea what we were getting, things looked good and I asked for them. What a meal! The funny thing was that we have a local friend whose mother lives in SF and later learned she knows and loves the place. It's nothing fancy, but the food is just excellent.

(Fwiw, when I'm in NYC, I almost never eat at any chain restaurants, Starbucks for breakfast notwithstanding. If it's got an A inspection rating and the menu looks good, I'm in.)

Anyway, I hope this helps! Have a great summer!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
For instance, my wife, daughter, and I went to SF a couple years ago and I saw this little place in Chinatown. I believe it was called House of Dim Sum. I ordered. It looked like a deli counter. I had no idea what we were getting, things looked good and I asked for them. What a meal! The funny thing was that we have a local friend whose mother lives in SF and later learned she knows and loves the place. It's nothing fancy, but the food is just excellent.
Um, I absolutely would NOT recommend House of Dim Sum -- it's a dirty little tourist trap with bad dim sum.
OP, PM me if you go to SF and want recommendations.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
. Also I don't drive.
Was going to suggest the spectacular scenery of Canadas maritime provinces and Quebecs Gaspe Peninsula but if you dont drive you are going to be relegated only to places with public transit..
heres a plan take a bus/plane or train and enjoy.=

MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City

Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
For an overseas relaxing trip, I would suggest the Galapagos Islands (part of Ecuador) which would be nice for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel