U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,474,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L5C View Post
Also, what are the suggestions regarding bringing along the engagement/wedding rings? Leave them behind in the states? Bring them with?
I never travel with my real jewelry except maybe a watch and necklace that I never remove. I always wear fake stuff.

I had a friend in college who had her wedding ring stolen on her honeymoon out of the country....ended up being foreshadowing for the marriage. Too bad the then-husband wasn't stolen instead of the ring...it would have saved her lots of grief and the cost of a nasty divorce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:30 PM

12,345 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Quote:
Also, what are the suggestions regarding bringing along the engagement/wedding rings? Leave them behind in the states? Bring them with?
Unless you have like the Hope Diamond on your finger, just bring it with you of course. Its always on your finger right?.... relax, don't worry about things like that. Stuff like expensive necklaces keep at home.

You know I wouldn't even worry to much about cash. I assume you are staying at a high quality hotel, 5 star used to tourists - they will take care of you. Many hotels will loan you money against your credit card (for a fee). Also September is a long ways away - either the problem will be resolved, or get much much worse, and in that case there will be nothing you can do about preparing.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,441,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az_Mitch View Post
Make sure you have plenty of cash before you go to Greece. They are only allowing 60 euros out of the ATM per day right now. I am sure the tourist industry is still going strong and accepting credit cards but so many transactions in Greece are done using cash so you want to have plenty. Taking a cab, need cash. You also didn't say where you are going in Greece. If you're spending time in Athens expect protests. There are currently protests but these happen all the time in Greece and are well know when they will happen so just pay attention. Going to the islands, Rhodes, Crete, etc., protests very rarely happen. The islands are even more cash centric so yet another reason to take plenty. Going to a beach you will need to spend a few Euro to pay for a chaise and they only take cash. Even if they do leave the EU, who knows when or if this will happen, they will probably go back to the drachma for currency but that is a long way off.

If you are traveling to Italy before Greece you can always load up on cash there. If you're going to Greece first I would get plenty before I left the states.

This policy does not apply to cards/accounts issued from foreign banks (like those of tourists).

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d3885...emergency-help

Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,932,494 times
Quote:
Assuming you and spouse will be wearing the rings and not leaving them in a room, should be fine. On the other hand, I don't take other expensive jewelry that can be stolen out of bags or a room. If the engagement/wedding rings are especially flashy, might want to leave them behind.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,453,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Bring cash.

If your gonna be there for while, have an exit plan to get out of the country if things devolve further.

Right now things are a little unstable and nobody really knows whats gonna happen. I personally think you should be fine. But it always pays to be prepared. I would just keep an eye on the situation and be prepared to be flexible.
I change my mind after following the story more closely.

I recommend you change plans or at the least make alternate plans so that you can change them at a moments notice.

The situation in Greece is going to rapidly get much worse. The banks remaining closed this long will greatly impact businesses there, businesses that provide for tourists. It is already impacting imports. Businesses are going to start laying off people in droves. The situation could get much worse or it could get better if some type of deal is reached.

It also depends on your timeline. If you going in the next month or so then I wouldn't even think about it, just change your Greece part to somewhere else, if your looking for beaches then you could try Sardinia, Corsica, Malta. I am sure there are others but I have only been to those. Ibiza comes to mind and Crete also but thats part of Greece, lol. Maybe Monaco or something similar.

If your not going for several months yet then I would hold off and just watch the situation. Maybe research out an alternate plan and keep it on the back burner.

Greek banks down to €500m in cash reserves as economy crashes - Telegraph

Quote:
His other company imports meat for supermarkets and restaurants. That is in dire straits already.
"I can't import anything. Restaurants are starting to close down because they can't obtain food and we are going straight into the peak tourist season. It is going to be utterly horrendous if this goes on," he said.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:06 PM

4,032 posts, read 3,274,639 times
Quote:

I recommend you change plans or at the least make alternate plans so that you can change them at a moments notice.

The situation in Greece is going to rapidly get much worse. The banks remaining closed this long will greatly impact businesses there, businesses that provide for tourists. It is already impacting imports. Businesses are going to start laying off people in droves. The situation could get much worse or it could get better if some type of deal is reached.

If your not going for several months yet then I would hold off and just watch the situation. Maybe research out an alternate plan and keep it on the back burner.
LOL: best advice so far. Wondered if this thread was a troll, but seems it isn't based on further reading. Travel insurance doesn't cover "insurrection" or "rebellion," by the way. Nor do most life/personal/property insurance policies, afaik.

At this writing, they're roughly 48 hrs from a 'referendum' that sounds like a fiasco in the making, Nai or Oxi. They seem to be almost out of cash, nationally, though who knows: events are happening fast. Which, btw, is interesting but probably not the best place to be for tourists in the major cities, unless you have a real sense of adventure. I would, were I traveling light and solo with little more than a pack on my back to get the hell out of there on an hour's notice if-needed.

Were I twenty years younger with a fair amount of money for exfiltration if-necessary, and plenty of time to burn, I'd show up just to watch the chaos. It's a historic time. Sort of an inverse of the Berlin Wall fall, which I also missed because I was a poor college student at the time.

Best-case, nothing happens and it's just angry old people, Communists, illegal aliens, and bums marching the streets. Can't see much good coming of it but nothing you can't buy your way out of as a tourist.

In either case, calm or chaos, cash is king baby. I'd personally have a few G's or more strapped on (in a way hard to steal) and be ready for all sorts of weird happenings.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:26 PM

35,322 posts, read 19,348,111 times
Some friends just returned from the Greek Islands. They had a wonderful time. No problems and the hospitality was great.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,133,353 times
Web page for citizen alerts from the US Embassy in Athens:

U.S. Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States Athens, Greece

Enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:

https://step.state.gov/step/

Old 07-04-2015, 12:56 AM
L5C L5C started this thread

5 posts, read 2,823 times
Quote:

It also depends on your timeline. If you going in the next month or so then I wouldn't even think about it, just change your Greece part to somewhere else, if your looking for beaches then you could try Sardinia, Corsica, Malta. I am sure there are others but I have only been to those. Ibiza comes to mind and Crete also but thats part of Greece, lol. Maybe Monaco or something similar.

Greek banks down to €500m in cash reserves as economy crashes - Telegraph
We will be arriving in Greece in late September of this year after a week in Italy. We are actually going with a tour group so I'm not sure if that changes any perceptions of things.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM

12,345 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Quote:
We will be arriving in Greece in late September of this year after a week in Italy. We are actually going with a tour group so I'm not sure if that changes any perceptions of things.
Yeah that changes things - A tour group means you pay THEM to worry about things like this (tours are absolutely not needed anywhere in Western Europe by the way, but that's your decision).
You won't have any problems and assuming it's a responsible and legitimate tour group outfit they will cancel things if Greece really starts to collapse. I would contact them if you are really worried.
Also don't overreact to news reports you see from Greece - the press and social media get rewarded for sensationalizing the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or