U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 PM
L5C L5C started this thread

5 posts, read 2,819 times

Advertisements

Just curious if I should be paying closer attention to the events happening in Greece and whether this will affect our honeymoon. Everything is already paid, but when we arrive there will we run into any issues? Or is this mainly affecting the natives? All input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:11 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,904,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5C View Post
Just curious if I should be paying closer attention to the events happening in Greece and whether this will affect our honeymoon. Everything is already paid, but when we arrive there will we run into any issues? Or is this mainly affecting the natives? All input is appreciated.
Was just chatting about this tonight with a friend who lives in Greece. You should be fine. Folks in the hospitality industry are afraid the situation there is going to keep people away, but it doesn't affect tourists. Wouldn't open up a bank account, though.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I would have two concerns. First, if there are strikes (high probability) there could be transportation problems and/or many of the sights will be closed. We ran into this in Italy in 2012. Government run sights (the Parthenon for example) might shut down.

We were treated well by the Greeks. They were welcoming. We were there during the elections. It was perfectly safe--that said if it seems there is a crowd gathering, go a different direction.

I would also plan on having the cash you will need with you in advance and not plan on using ATM's to make withdrawls--at least not in Greece. If for no reason I expect lines to be hours long and machines to possibly be empty.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 AM

12,266 posts, read 18,397,848 times
The most significant worry is available cash from ATM's. You don't say when you are going but all the could be resolved by the time you arrive.
But strikes are like a national pastime in Greece even at the best of times, every week there is one group or another on strike. You just have to adapt.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:29 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5C View Post

Bring cash.

If your gonna be there for while, have an exit plan to get out of the country if things devolve further.

Right now things are a little unstable and nobody really knows whats gonna happen. I personally think you should be fine. But it always pays to be prepared. I would just keep an eye on the situation and be prepared to be flexible.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM

11,673 posts, read 6,277,227 times
I agree with bringing cash (and a credit card). But are the fears that Greece may drop the Euro realistic? If so, what's the timezone on that? If this is realistic, I'd suggest looking into the matter more and asking yourself which type of cash currency you'd need to bring.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:26 PM

143 posts, read 196,724 times
Make sure you have plenty of cash before you go to Greece. They are only allowing 60 euros out of the ATM per day right now. I am sure the tourist industry is still going strong and accepting credit cards but so many transactions in Greece are done using cash so you want to have plenty. Taking a cab, need cash. You also didn't say where you are going in Greece. If you're spending time in Athens expect protests. There are currently protests but these happen all the time in Greece and are well know when they will happen so just pay attention. Going to the islands, Rhodes, Crete, etc., protests very rarely happen. The islands are even more cash centric so yet another reason to take plenty. Going to a beach you will need to spend a few Euro to pay for a chaise and they only take cash. Even if they do leave the EU, who knows when or if this will happen, they will probably go back to the drachma for currency but that is a long way off.

If you are traveling to Italy before Greece you can always load up on cash there. If you're going to Greece first I would get plenty before I left the states.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The most significant worry is available cash from ATM's. You don't say when you are going but all the could be resolved by the time you arrive.
But strikes are like a national pastime in Greece even at the best of times, every week there is one group or another on strike. You just have to adapt.
We will be arriving in September.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az_Mitch View Post
Make sure you have plenty of cash before you go to Greece. They are only allowing 60 euros out of the ATM per day right now. I am sure the tourist industry is still going strong and accepting credit cards but so many transactions in Greece are done using cash so you want to have plenty. Taking a cab, need cash. You also didn't say where you are going in Greece. If you're spending time in Athens expect protests. There are currently protests but these happen all the time in Greece and are well know when they will happen so just pay attention. Going to the islands, Rhodes, Crete, etc., protests very rarely happen. The islands are even more cash centric so yet another reason to take plenty. Going to a beach you will need to spend a few Euro to pay for a chaise and they only take cash. Even if they do leave the EU, who knows when or if this will happen, they will probably go back to the drachma for currency but that is a long way off.

If you are traveling to Italy before Greece you can always load up on cash there. If you're going to Greece first I would get plenty before I left the states.
We will be spending a week in Italy first and then headed to Greece (several sites including Athens, and then the islands).

Old 07-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Also, what are the suggestions regarding bringing along the engagement/wedding rings? Leave them behind in the states? Bring them with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or