Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:27 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
So due to logistics and whatnot, lets just say that a friend and I are needing to book last minute tickets to Beijing, China.

Flying out of KCMO on Aug 1 and return on Aug 10. I know this is very short notice for INTL tickets, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks/sites to get any savings possible for this very short notice INTL trip?

Most of places I checked using incognito mode Google Flights, Skyscanner, Kayak, are showing about 2k-2.5k for roundtrip to Beijing.

Hoping at least to get below 2k at this point...

But if worst comes to worst, My upper limit is about 2.5k for roundtrip tickets.

edit: unfortunately no flexibility at all on the dates!
Fly from Chicago. Ticket Fares for Hainan Airlines are very cheap. I guess for these dates, it will be around 1400 to 1500 dollars. If you are little flexible with days (choose tuesday or wed/thu) it will be even cheaper. Hainan Airlines fly directly from Chicago to Beijing. From Kansas City, one can reach Chicago by Car, Megabus, Amtrak, Flight depending on your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
There is a high speed rail line between Shanghai and Beijing that takes about five hours, not sure current prices but was about $150USD.

Obviously that isn't optimal but five on the train might be faster than driving to Chicago if a Shanghai fare offers comparable savings, and the train might give you some nice unwind time.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
There is a high speed rail line between Shanghai and Beijing that takes about five hours, not sure current prices but was about $150USD.

Obviously that isn't optimal but five on the train might be faster than driving to Chicago if a Shanghai fare offers comparable savings, and the train might give you some nice unwind time.

Good luck!
that's what I was thinking - and Shanghai has at least 2 international airports which in theory should make the route more competitive. PVG has a high speed train that leaves directly from it but I can't remember if it links up to the train route to Beijing so it might be a system of changing trains and maybe the subway - and changing trains and switching to the crowded Shanghai subway is something you don't want to experience after a 20 hour flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel