U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:27 PM

517 posts, read 568,471 times

Advertisements

So due to logistics and whatnot, lets just say that a friend and I are needing to book last minute tickets to Beijing, China.

Flying out of KCMO on Aug 1 and return on Aug 10. I know this is very short notice for INTL tickets, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks/sites to get any savings possible for this very short notice INTL trip?

Most of places I checked using incognito mode Google Flights, Skyscanner, Kayak, are showing about 2k-2.5k for roundtrip to Beijing.

Hoping at least to get below 2k at this point...

But if worst comes to worst, My upper limit is about 2.5k for roundtrip tickets.

edit: unfortunately no flexibility at all on the dates!

Last edited by ginmqi; 06-29-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 PM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
If you can be more flexible on your dates I saw one for $991.00 on orbitz.

Next exact dates, then that seem to be the range...

Old 06-29-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you can be more flexible on your dates I saw one for $991.00 on orbitz.

Next exact dates, then that seem to be the range...
Unfortunately no flexibility at all

I did find a 1400 SEA to PEK. And a $500 flight from MCI to SEA. So thats about 1900 there, some savings there.

Will keep looking for now.

Will looking to other "hack" fares to see if I can combine two seaparate flights together. Seeing if IAH or ORD has cheap directs to PEK and then find cheapest possible MCI to ORD/IAH.

LAX and SFO seems more expensive to fly into China.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
Do you have a travel agency in town that specializes in Asian nationals headed back to Asia? (Professionals here on visas, college kids, people with extended family in China, etc?)

Sometimes those kinds of agencies have access to weirdly cheap consolidator fare tickets that are in fare buckets you just won't find with a public search.

Be careful with "hack" fares because you will not be protected on flight #2 and your ticket subject ot cancellation if flight #1 is delayed enough to miss your connection.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:22 PM

One warning about disconnected tickets,

If for some reason your flight from MCI to XXX is canceled or delayed you would be a No/Show on your XXX-PEK ticket. That airline will NOT rebook you for free.

You would need to plan a HUGE time between your MCI-XXX and your XXX-PEK tickets. To allow for delays on your inbound flight, I would suggest getting in to XXX the day before.

Also most travel insurance will not cover the missed 2nd flight and rebook if its not on a connected ticket.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do you have a travel agency in town that specializes in Asian nationals headed back to Asia? (Professionals here on visas, college kids, people with extended family in China, etc?)

Sometimes those kinds of agencies have access to weirdly cheap consolidator fare tickets that are in fare buckets you just won't find with a public search.

Be careful with "hack" fares because you will not be protected on flight #2 and your ticket subject ot cancellation if flight #1 is delayed enough to miss your connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One warning about disconnected tickets,

If for some reason your flight from MCI to XXX is canceled or delayed you would be a No/Show on your XXX-PEK ticket. That airline will NOT rebook you for free.

You would need to plan a HUGE time between your MCI-XXX and your XXX-PEK tickets. To allow for delays on your inbound flight, I would suggest getting in to XXX the day before.

Also most travel insurance will not cover the missed 2nd flight and rebook if its not on a connected ticket.

To both of the above posters, yes that is a very real concern I have. Two disconnected/hacker fares are quite dangerous in that if one segment is somehow delayed/cancelled the other segment has no obligation to get me up and running because they are two diff tickets.

I think I may just go for more expensive and be on a single connected ticket since that is way safer in terms of getting taken care of if anything happens.

Thanks for the caution there! Sometimes it's more than just saving a few dollars!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:11 PM

btw, What you wanted to do is not a hacker fare, Its totally Legal ,
Dangerous (For that kind of connection), but legal.

I Use to do that all the time, Fly out on a Sunday Night/Monday morning. would fly out on a R/T with a Saturday stay-over to get the cheaper Fares that required a Saturday Night stay.

Use a different set if tickets to return (home) on Friday night.

Then alternate them. Would take a 800/RT down to 200/RT.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:05 PM

11,714 posts, read 6,302,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

That was going to be my advice!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Of course. Nothing illegal about buying two airplane tickets. I only say "hacker" because I think that's what Kayak calls it....by using two diff carriers to connect two desired destiations...of course risk is getting lost in the middle since each segment is on its own and not connected.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,719 times
$1856 on Air China. You could save $400 by coming back two days later. Good luck, though....I'm going to Beijing in September and we got an unreal deal (airfare, hotels included) but we booked several months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel