U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 900 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning a road trip in August. We live in the Hudson Valley and our plan is to drive from here to Orlando, Florida with our three teenage girls ( 13, 15, 21 with special needs). I've done countless drives from NY to FL, NY to TX, etc but have never done it with the kids. We've set aside 13 days for our trip and plan on stopping in VA and SC for a night on the way down and back up again. We also reserved hotel rooms for our trip down and back.

My question is how much is enough for Orlando? We'll be renting a condo so we'll be able to cook our own meals ($541 total for weekly rental), have budgeted about $500 for hotel expenses on the way down and back, and $500 for gas for the trip (our SUV gets 23 MPG highway). Would between $3,500 - $4,000 be enough for this? We'd like to include a day or two at Disney for the oldest and maybe a day at a water park for the younger ones..but the kids would be happy just being somewhere different with beaches near by.

Any advice on how much is enough would be appreciated! Thanks so much .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
You will need two hotel rooms if for no other reason the access to two bathrooms. Five people trying to get ready in the morning with one bathroom just won't work--or will take hours.

I would plan on two days in each direction for the drive. You don't need to stop twice. VA to SC is only about six hours.

I would go to Rocky Mount, NC the first day and then to Orlando the second. There is a Residence Inn there with two bedroom/two bath suites that might be cheaper than two rooms. They have free breakfast. Plan on $400 in hotel costs.

The theme parks will cost over $100 per person, per day to get in. So you are looking at over $1000 for two theme park days. Water parks range in price, Aquatica is supposed to be really fantastic and that is $50 per person, per day. Most of the ones worth visiting are around that price. So another $250 in water park costs.

You won't be able to cook all of your own meals. It wouldn't be good time management to leave wherever you are for lunch and even some dinners. I would plan on beach, theme park, and water park days to have lunch and dinner where you are.

There are no beaches close to Orlando. I'm assuming the condo isn't in "Orlando" but maybe Kissimmee? Plan on a 90 minute drive to either coast for the beaches.

Your gas and tolls are about right, not including theme and water park parking which is up to about $20 a day.

It sounds like $4000 would be enough, and that would allow some meals out, extra gas and toll money to get to the beaches, and other odds and ends.

I live in that area and can try to answer any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or