U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 AM

3,913 posts, read 7,985,080 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be traveling from Paris to Venice by train. We are looking to stop overnight somewhere along the way to break up the trip and hopefully see another city if only for a few hours. We would arrive in the late afternoon, check into a hotel, and only have maybe 2-3 hours to explore and grab dinner. We are fine with walking around everywhere.

Milan, Italy is the most direct, logical place, but is a huge city. There also appears to be a lack of decent hotels nearby the main train station, so we would lose time transiting to our hotel. Is Milan too big to see anything in one afternoon/evening? We were also considering Munich, Germany, although it adds several hours to our trip the next day. We may encounter a similar problem with too little time to see much. Geneva, Switzerland may be another option. I just am not sure what there is to see there in such little time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
There are a lot of interesting things to do within a short walk of the Munich Hbf- museums, shopping, nice parks and open air eating when the weather is nice. Also tons of hotels between the train station and the Marienplatz central square.

Though I'll note that the red light district is also nearby- it does the European kind of sleazy but very safe thing- so check hotel reviews carefully to make sure you're not upstairs of a club.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
I would second Munich's Hbf....fun city, easy to walk from train station...and there's currywurst to eat just outside the station! Mmmmmmm!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Regardless of which route you take you will have at least two connections.

It's perhaps the longest route, but I would probably try to go through Brussels.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Why not Lyon, grenoble or any Swiss towns?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,182,880 times
As an different alternative, I might suggest just booking a sleeper cabin. Use the train as your hotel for the night. I suspect the cost increase of booking the sleeper cabin instead of a regular seat would be less than the cost of a hotel. Also, you get to spend more time in Venice.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Do you have enough time in Paris/Venice? Otherwise taking the shortest route + sleeper train would be advisable.

Milan is indeed huge so you won't see everything, but you can easily get around the city by metro so don't worry about the difficulty of getting to a "decent" hotel. Munich is also a great city...but I really wouldn't recommend one place over another if you're only stopping for a few hours. They're all basically equal on such a short stop.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
As an different alternative, I might suggest just booking a sleeper cabin. Use the train as your hotel for the night. I suspect the cost increase of booking the sleeper cabin instead of a regular seat would be less than the cost of a hotel. Also, you get to spend more time in Venice.
This is a good idea if one is available....we did a sleeper train from Venice to Munich although I didn't sleep well, considering the noise and the stop in Austria where the conductor woke everyone up. The only drawback to it was that we got to Munich way early in the morning and then felt nasty without a shower, but our hotel was nice enough to let us wipe down in their lobby bathroom and they stored our luggage for us until our room was ready. It WAS a great opportunity to go have some Weisswurst in the appropriate setting at the appropriate time of day!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM

3,913 posts, read 7,985,080 times
Ok thanks for the replies. I ruled out the overnight train because it would basically waste a day on the front end. We would have nowhere to store our baggage after checking out of our hotel until we board the train at night. Then when we arrive in Munich we would again have nowhere to put our baggage so we would need to purchase storage. Also, having nowhere to shower is no fun.

We will probably just go forth with Milan since it is the shortest duration between Paris and Venice. We want to maximize our visits to those cities, so Milan would just be an evening stopover. I was also considering Verona, Italy, since it is smaller and less stressful, but not as much to see.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Hello,

We will be traveling from Paris to Venice by train. We are looking to stop overnight somewhere along the way to break up the trip and hopefully see another city if only for a few hours. We would arrive in the late afternoon, check into a hotel, and only have maybe 2-3 hours to explore and grab dinner. We are fine with walking around everywhere.

Milan, Italy is the most direct, logical place, but is a huge city. There also appears to be a lack of decent hotels nearby the main train station, so we would lose time transiting to our hotel. Is Milan too big to see anything in one afternoon/evening? We were also considering Munich, Germany, although it adds several hours to our trip the next day. We may encounter a similar problem with too little time to see much. Geneva, Switzerland may be another option. I just am not sure what there is to see there in such little time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Geneva is very 'doable' for 2-3 hours. The lake is a 15 minute walk from the station. Cross the Pont Mont Blanc (bridge) to the main shopping area and walk up the hill into the old town. Things to see in a short time; the lake, the expensive stores (window shopping is free), the old town including the Cathedral, the old cannons near the Cathedral, the monument to the Reformation in the Parc des Bastions. All that can be done in a couple of hours as Geneva is quite compact. Dinner tends to be at around 8pm in Switzerland so that gives you time to explore beforehand.

Plenty of restaurants around the station including the world famous Cafe de Paris which only has one menu item - steak done in garlic butter and served with salad and fries.

Also, there are plenty of hotels near the station and around Rue de Lausanne which runs east from the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or