U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:52 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,471,629 times

Advertisements

I didn't have this problem until a few years ago. I know that your ears popping while ascending is normal but usually when the plane descends I have this sharp, painful pressure that feels like it's behind my eyes. I can almost count on it every time the I ride on a plane. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that helps with the pressure? I tried swallowing and even trying to pop my ears with a cupped hand but nothing works. I have to fly again soon and I'm afraid one day it'll be so painful I can't handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 AM

38,021 posts, read 55,817,679 times
This forum has some good info, from pilots, many have had sinus problems.
Extreme pain in forehead during descent/landing [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

Hope it helps!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 AM

32,089 posts, read 33,002,049 times
I find that simply keeping one's mouth open (breathing through the mouth instead of the nose) works for me.

I know someone else that pinches his nose and that works for him.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,719 times
You might try the Valsalva maneuver, like we divers use when equalizing pressure during descent. Pinch your nose shut with your mouth closed, and gently snort out. Pressure is changing upon descent just like upon ascent, so it isn't surprising that you may have issues. Also, age often sometimes affects that...

Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 AM

8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Simplest way would to be take a decongestant before you fly.

Sounds crazy, but an old flight attendant trick is to take a foam coffee cup with some paper towel in the bottom and add hot water and place it over your ear. The towel is to keep the hot water from running out, so it should be moist, not dripping.
I didn't believe it worked until I got caught with no drugs, a sinus infection and a long flight, and it was the only thing that helped relieve the pressure.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,143,290 times
I honestly never get blocked or sore ears, in all my years of flying it's only happened twice.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:03 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,020,732 times
Yawning works for me.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This forum has some good info, from pilots, many have had sinus problems.
Extreme pain in forehead during descent/landing [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

Hope it helps!
Thanks, I read through the whole thread. I've been using a nasal spray (Dymista) so hopefully that will help as I have a history of allergies and an easily irritated sinus. I also plan to take Sudafed a few hours before I land. Still worried though, I could handle the past few times but I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,836,225 times
I've flown many many times in my life. This past January I had a decent that nearly made my head explode. It was weird.

I've flown a couple of trips after that on the same route and it didn't happen.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
I'd say I have pain once out of every few dozen flights, but only excruciating pain on a couple occasions. Also once had my ears finally pop a good week or so after the flight. For minor pain, I like to have gum or candy or something that allows me to swallow...that usually helps...but for the few occasions of really bad pain nothing helped.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel