U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 524 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We are relocating from California to Florida. As per the time honored American tradition, we are driving to Florida. We will be traveling in our pick up truck with a 5x8 uHaul cargo trailer hitched to the truck.

So far my research indicates that the I10 route via Phoenix-El Paso-Houston-Baton Rouge etc route is better than doing the I40 route.

This will be my first time. First time traveling such long distance in U.S.

Any route inputs, places/hotels/cities/motels/roads to avoid or must follow are most welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 PM

983 posts, read 1,357,225 times
If you are not going in the winter, the route is up to you as weather will not be an impact. We have done both.

I-40 has some interesting cities along the way but seems to have more construction.

I-10 to Houston has been a regular trip for us the last few years. It is a fairly easy drive, especially through TX...mostly 3 lane divided highway. Just be careful through TX of watching your gas gauge in north TX as there is not fuel at every exit. You may encounter a border check station along the way. We have encountered them in AZ, NM, and TX near the Mexico border cities.

Assuming you are going through Las Vegas to Kingman to Phoenix, be careful on AZ-60/93- I10. Also another route to watch the gas gauge. Runs you through the foothills south of Kingman to Phoenix, narrow, hilly roadway with limited passing lanes. Also, we just went through there in mid-June and there was a little bit of construction just north of Phoenix. We like the Red Roof Inn in north Tucson as we are usually traveling with a little dog. We have stayed in a Red Roof Inn in El Paso also (on Chito Samaniego) and would not stay there again. It is in an industrial neighborhood, seemed to have some long term guests, and we did not feel comfortable leaving a car full of college kid stuff in the parking lot overnight. It turned out ok, but not one I would choose again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or