U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go?
Don't change anything-do Mexico and save Rome for next year 3 15.00%
Go to Rome! Reschedule or cancel Mexico 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:31 PM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times

Advertisements

Go to Rome.

Last time I canceled a flight with United, they credited me the cost of the flight to use at another time. I didn't have a cancelation fee or rebooking fee.

Maybe they only do that when you cancel and rebook at the same time?

I did have to do everything over the phone and was charged for that but was credited the total amount of my credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,706,964 times
Since you are going to Vienna for free, get as much vacation time after or before the Vienna trip so that you can see as much as possible while you are across the pond. You should spend two or three days in Vienna so that you can really see the city, and take a short trip to the Vienna Woods, which is on the edge of the city. Although Vienna is not as big as Rome or Paris, there is a lot to see if you like history and architecture. Spend your time in the Museum Quarter and inside the "ring" (the inner city). If you have extra time, go to Rome on the way back and stay for a minimum of two days. Any time less than two days is not worth the stopover. You can fly back to NYC directly from Rome (if your company doesn't mind), so you will only need a one way flight from Vienna to Rome.

You can go to Mexico anytime. No sense spending your money to make a special trip to Rome when you can get it in on this work trip and save another trip across the pond and avoid jet lag.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM

161 posts, read 352,446 times
Agree! You do need to pay a change fee but they credit your full ticket fee (even on a non-refundable ticket) towards your next flight. In your case using miles it's a little different but not much. You could pay the fee to credit those miles back to your account but the fee was pretty steep for that. I would just take the trip at a later day. You do NOT need to provide the dates of your future travel at this time. But you DO need to provide your travel dates when you reschedule. For now, you just let them know you will not be making that trip as originally planned.

Last edited by Amy WJ; 07-13-2015 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Clarifying when travel dates need to be provided

Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been wanting to visit Mexico for a while now. I just booked a flight using miles to go to San Miguel de Allende for 3 days, then Playa for 5 days after (9/5-9/13).

So...what would you do?
I've been to Rome and it was fun but I'll never go back. I love Mexico and go almost every year. So my vote is to keep your Mexico trip. They are quite different so it depends on what you like to see and do.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I've been to Rome and it was fun but I'll never go back. I love Mexico and go almost every year. So my vote is to keep your Mexico trip. They are quite different so it depends on what you like to see and do.
You go every year because it is so close to Austin. Would you if it is a 9 hour flight away? On the other hand, if the OP goes to Rome, it is a short flight. Saves him an expensive ticket in the future.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

I don't think OP is asking which city is more "fun".
It's a matter of logistics.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:48 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,560,572 times
Quote:
Only Paris on a separate work trip last December.
Now I remember you! I'd go with Option C, do both. So...add 3 days to your trip after the conference in Vienna and visit Rome. You're not gonna get much done in 2 days. I went to Rome in May, it's absolutely amazing, and I'm trying to nudge my fiance into going again, but maybe adding Florence or Venice as well.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:45 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,191 times
Quote:
Cons:
-Could be frowned upon slightly by my job? In other words, may look like I've decided to go on the conference JUST SO I can go to Rome. The conference is optional, but pretty much the entire team is going to go to Vienna as we get to pick one conference/training to attend annually and this is the 'big' one a lot of people attend. I've been at my company 1.5 years so it'll be my first time attending.
I do that all the time and a lot of people I know do too -- tacking a vacation onto a business trip is the biggest perk of conferences anyway.

Those are two independent questions (Mexico and Rome) but I'd pick option C as well. You can possibly book your flight to Europe as an open-jaw (XXX-Vienna then return Rome-XXX) for the same price (or not much more) than XXX-Vienna r/t anyway. Heck in some instances the whole circle trip (XXX-Vienna-Rome-XXX) could be cheaper than XXX-Vienna r/t.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM

3,210 posts, read 3,200,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
On the other hand, if the OP goes to Rome, it is a short flight. Saves him an expensive ticket in the future.

This.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I go from a Sunday-Sunday, should I stay in Rome 'area' the whole time? Or should I do 3 days in Rome and 3 days somewhere else (Istanbul or Santorini)? On one hand I'd love to see IST or Greece but after doing Vienna for 4 day and Rome for probably 3 days I don't know if I'll have it in me, as I'll have to fly back to Vienna and then back to the US (Chicago) on the last day.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:46 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
I'd just stay in Rome if I was in your shoes; there's enough to see and do in the city to keep you busy for a solid week, easily. And you can always do a day trip via train or rental car to the Italian countryside if you want to get out of the city for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or