U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go?
Don't change anything-do Mexico and save Rome for next year 3 15.00%
Go to Rome! Reschedule or cancel Mexico 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 3,211,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'd just stay in Rome if I was in your shoes; there's enough to see and do in the city to keep you busy for a solid week, easily. And you can always do a day trip via train or rental car to the Italian countryside if you want to get out of the city for a bit.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Maybe I could do Venice while in Rome. Although I don't know if a 7 hour round trip train ride would deter me.

I could always do a Turkey/Greece trip next year I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,193,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
This is kinda what I was thinking. Maybe I could do Venice while in Rome. Although I don't know if a 7 hour round trip train ride would deter me.
7 hours round-trip is too much for a day trip, but Venice might be worth doing if you did an overnight there. Here are some easier possibilities to check out: Ostia Antica, Hadrian's Villa, the hill town of Orvieto.

As for passing up Greece and Turkey: it's just another reason to go back - along with Florence, Venice, the Amalfi Coast, the Alps, Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Amsterdam, Budapest... You'll never run out of things to see and do in Europe, even if you spend your lifetime exploring it!

Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,455,594 times
I would ditch the Mexico trip hands down.

Normally I would say forget about Venice but September and October are the best times to see it. The huge crowd, mosquitoes and heat are all gone. If you ever wanted to see it, I think you should consider it.

Personally I would rather stay in Rome. You could easily spend a week there. If you really wanted to see something else then there are many places I would pic over Venice. With your particular timing though, it is the best time to see Venice and everyone should see it at least once.

I bet Greece is on sale next year.

You may decide that you like Vienna also.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I would ditch the Mexico trip hands down.

Normally I would say forget about Venice but September and October are the best times to see it. The huge crowd, mosquitoes and heat are all gone. If you ever wanted to see it, I think you should consider it.

Personally I would rather stay in Rome. You could easily spend a week there. If you really wanted to see something else then there are many places I would pic over Venice. With your particular timing though, it is the best time to see Venice and everyone should see it at least once.

I bet Greece is on sale next year.

You may decide that you like Vienna also.
So after the conference in Vienna my plan (as of today) is to go straight to Rome and spend the entire week there. As I mentioned earlier I would have liked to do Venice but I'm unsure of whether going there for a full day would be worth it as I'd have to return to Rome before going back to Venice to go back to Chicago

Otherwise, I could do 5 days in Rome, then go north to Venice and do 2 days there, then fly back to Vienna. Issue is flights from Venice->Vienna are expensive (often routing through Istanbul). I hate that...otherwise I'd be more inclined to go.

What other places would you pick over Venice?

I'm looking at the Villa D'Este Gardens...

Old 07-15-2015, 12:33 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,097 times
Quote:
So after the conference in Vienna my plan (as of today) is to go straight to Rome and spend the entire week there. As I mentioned earlier I would have liked to do Venice but I'm unsure of whether going there for a full day would be worth it as I'd have to return to Rome before going back to Venice to go back to Chicago

Otherwise, I could do 5 days in Rome, then go north to Venice and do 2 days there, then fly back to Vienna. Issue is flights from Venice->Vienna are expensive (often routing through Istanbul). I hate that...otherwise I'd be more inclined to go.
As I wrote in my previous post, you don't necessarily have to fly back to Vienna, you can do an open jaw instead. A quick look at fares shows ~$800 for ORD-VIE roundtrip vs. $983 for ORD-VIE and FCO-VIE. FCO (or VCE or whatever) to VIE one-way is likely to be less than $183 but you could save a flight (so perhaps a day) by leaving home from Italy instead having to go throug Vienna again.

Also, not to add even more to your dilemma, but... ORD-VIE on 9/23 ... then IST-ORD on 10/4 ... is either the same price as ORD-VIE roundtrip, or only $692 with a nice overnight in Amsterdam

Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
As I wrote in my previous post, you don't necessarily have to fly back to Vienna, you can do an open jaw instead. A quick look at fares shows ~$800 for ORD-VIE roundtrip vs. $983 for ORD-VIE and FCO-VIE. FCO (or VCE or whatever) to VIE one-way is likely to be less than $183 but you could save a flight (so perhaps a day) by leaving home from Italy instead having to go throug Vienna again.

Also, not to add even more to your dilemma, but... ORD-VIE on 9/23 ... then IST-ORD on 10/4 ... is either the same price as ORD-VIE roundtrip, or only $692 with a nice overnight in Amsterdam
Sorry...I hadn't had a chance to digest your earlier post as I'm not familiar with 'open jaw' flights

I am going to look into this...like now...lol

Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,193,193 times
Quote:
Sorry...I hadn't had a chance to digest your earlier post as I'm not familiar with 'open jaw' flights

I am going to look into this...like now...lol
Definitely check this out! Open jaw flights are generally more practical the round-trip flights if you're visiting several places, because they eliminate the need to backtrack. if you've not already bought your plane tickets, you could fly to Vienna and return home from Venice on an open jaw ticket, then do the Vienna-Rome segment with a low cost carrier like Easyjet, and then get to Venice from Rome by train. If you REALLY want to see both Rome and Venice, that's the easiest approach. (On airline websites, look for the option called "multicity" to price open-jaw flights.)

Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,100,762 times
Quote:
This.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I go from a Sunday-Sunday, should I stay in Rome 'area' the whole time? Or should I do 3 days in Rome and 3 days somewhere else (Istanbul or Santorini)? On one hand I'd love to see IST or Greece but after doing Vienna for 4 day and Rome for probably 3 days I don't know if I'll have it in me, as I'll have to fly back to Vienna and then back to the US (Chicago) on the last day.
It really depends on the type of person you are, some people could spend that much time and more in just Rome and others can be content with only a few days and are ready to move on. If you're more of the latter type of person, then you don't have to be limited to staying in the area. I was just in Italy with my sister in May and we did Rome, Florence, Venice, and Milan in about 7 days. While we didn't see and do everything we would have wanted in all of those cities, we both feel that we go enough of a taste so that we know where we want to focus our time on our next visit. Also be sure to look at some of the low cost carriers within Europe like EasyJet or Ryan Air, if you travel light it can expand how far you can travel for quick (2-3 hour flights) trips

Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Definitely check this out! Open jaw flights are generally more practical the round-trip flights if you're visiting several places, because they eliminate the need to backtrack. if you've not already bought your plane tickets, you could fly to Vienna and return home from Venice on an open jaw ticket, then do the Vienna-Rome segment with a low cost carrier like Easyjet, and then get to Venice from Rome by train. If you REALLY want to see both Rome and Venice, that's the easiest approach. (On airline websites, look for the option called "multicity" to price open-jaw flights.)
So at first glance it appears that if I do a roundtrip, there are several non-stop flights (~9 hours) with United and AA (our preferred carriers, although I don't think I'd 'have' to book through them...not sure...but we always do...). These United/AA flights, if not non-stop, have layovers less than 3 hours.

Using the open jaw option, none of the flights on the first (Chi->Vienna) are with United or AA. Plus all of them have layovers 10-15 hours+. Taking a flight this long as opposed to a shorter flight would probably be frowned upon highly. Also, for flights over 9 hours we're eligible for business class although I'm sure no one will be doing this since there are options for 9 hour flights.

So I don't know if this will actually be a route I can take...but I do appreciate the suggestion and will definitely keep this in mind for the future!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:58 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,455,594 times
Quote:

What other places would you pick over Venice?

I'm looking at the Villa D'Este Gardens...
Given your constraints I would simply stay in Rome for the week and work in a day trip or maybe 2.

There are day trips you can take to Tivoli or if you like ruins then there is an ancient roman port city on the coast ( I forget the name). Also you could hop a train to Florence and either return late the same day or spend the night there and get 2 days in Florence.

Check viator for day trips from Rome. I recommend avoiding going down to Naples/Amalfi/Capri/Pompeii as those are all close together to the south and are really an entire vacation unto themselves. You will kick yourself if you try to rush through Amalfi or Capri and leave feeling regretful.

Tripadvisor has a big list of things to do in Rome.

Venice is really a great city but during the summer it turns into an amusement park crammed with tourists. Its hot. Mosquitoes are bad. The food in many restaurants caters to tourists. In short, its not really the city that I take issue with, its the tourists.

As far as other places I would rather go than Venice.

Florence, Bologna, Cinque Terre, Naples, Amalfi Coast, Parma, Siena, numerous small towns in Umbria, Tuscany, numerous small towns in the Alps.

It depends on what you like to do on vacation. Florence is great for arts and food. Naples area is mostly tourist free (most people go straight to Capri/Amalfi/Pompeii) and has some of the best food and coffee to be had. Amalfi is great for the seafood, ocean views, islands and picking up crafts from small towns, and excellent limoncello. Each area has its own pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or