U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go?
Don't change anything-do Mexico and save Rome for next year 3 15.00%
Go to Rome! Reschedule or cancel Mexico 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 AM

7,315 posts, read 4,154,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So at first glance it appears that if I do a roundtrip, there are several non-stop flights (~9 hours) with United and AA (our preferred carriers, although I don't think I'd 'have' to book through them...not sure...but we always do...). These United/AA flights, if not non-stop, have layovers less than 3 hours.

Using the open jaw option, none of the flights on the first (Chi->Vienna) are with United or AA. Plus all of them have layovers 10-15 hours+.
What search engine are you using? Check using the American or United websites directly. There's absolutely no reason why a nonstop can't be part of an open-jaw ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
What search engine are you using? Check using the American or United websites directly. There's absolutely no reason why a nonstop can't be part of an open-jaw ticket.
Expedia, which includes all airlines pretty much. But I will try your suggestion today.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,449,020 times
I use ITA matrix. Its not difficult to grasp once you get used to it and it has tons of options available to narrow your search.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm back.

So I'm definitely going to Rome. I just booked my flight to Vienna and took off the week after our Vienna conference.

I have a week off. I'm back to ask people if they think sticking to Rome the whole week would be best, or if one of the other options below seemed feasible/worth it:

2 days in Amalfi Coast, then the rest in Rome, or,
2 days in Istanbul, then the rest in Rome

Here are the places I want to check out during my Rome visit:
Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Forum, Borghese gallery, Villa d'Este gardens
In addition I want to get in some time for a little shopping and just people watching/taking in the local surroundings (don't want to be 'too' rushed to do everything like I usually am)

Thoughts? Based on my list should I just stick to Rome the entire week?

My dates are Sept 28-Oct 4

Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,481,629 times
If it were me, I would only spend 3 days in Rome. Then go to Cinque Terre or Amlfi Coast.

And while in Rome you should try to get to Tivoli. It's really nice.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If it were me, I would only spend 3 days in Rome. Then go to Cinque Terre or Amlfi Coast.

And while in Rome you should try to get to Tivoli. It's really nice.

Considering the places I mentioned above, do you think I could fit everything comfortably into 3 days? Also, the Villas d'Este I mentioned is in Tivoli so I have it on my to do list.

Thanks for the recommendation to see CT...I actually hadn't heard of it before. It looks amazing. I would likely have to choose between CT and Amalfi Coast. Right now my challenge is figuring out geographically how to do the trip. I'd rather do Rome first, so that means I could do:

Vienna-Rome-Amalfi Coast-Vienna

^Price from Amalfi Coast (Naples airport) to Vienna is kinda high. Moderately higher than just doing a roundtrip between Rome and Vienna and simply trying to fit in a roundtrip train trip between Rome and Amalfi coast.

I think if I did CT instead of Amalfi Coast I could do:

Vienna-Rome-CT-Florence (and Pisa)-Vienna

^Seems like it would be less practical to pull off since I'd have to pass through Florence to get to CT, then go back to Florence from CT...? I haven't looked into pricing for doing it this way yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or