Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

On several trips, I've noticed that I seem to be missing things from my luggage after the TSA has snooped through my luggage. On the trip that I just completed, I lost some "party beads". The time before, I lost a matchbook that I'm sure can't be replaced. These haven't been major items that I've lost, but they always seem to coincide with TSA putting that piece of paper that states that they riffled through my luggage or a wide open zipper that they didn't even bother to close.
Has this happened to any of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
On several trips, I've noticed that I seem to be missing things from my luggage after the TSA has snooped through my luggage. On the trip that I just completed, I lost some "party beads". The time before, I lost a matchbook that I'm sure can't be replaced. These haven't been major items that I've lost, but they always seem to coincide with TSA putting that piece of paper that states that they riffled through my luggage or a wide open zipper that they didn't even bother to close.
we do a lot of traveling as well and no, never have we missed one thing. I don't like the way they seem to mess a lot of stuff up, but I really doubt they take anything or allow anything to just fall out.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Never. You're talking checked baggage though. I rarely check bags.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I once had something in my luggage that wasn't mine when I opened it back home. It was very strange.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I've had carefully wrapped items unwrapped. Other than that, nothing has come up missing.

Are matches one of the items that are not allowed on flights?

In some airports, the luggage handlers are well known to be thieves, so if anything is missing, I would suspect them and not the TSA. It wouldn't surprise me if the thieves targeted bags coming out of the TSA inspection because then the suspicion would not fall completely on them.

It's beyond me why the airlines allow their employees to open bags and steal, and it should be easy enough to catch them, because there is no reason for baggage handlers to be opening baggage and video monitoring is cheap. However, the airlines don't seem to care to do anything about it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I saw a hidden camera program in which they caught baggage handlers removing cameras and jewelry from checked bags. Obviously this is a minority of these employees, but I would be angry. I never pack valuables in my checked bag. I can't imagine anyone stealing plastic beads and matchbooks however. They probably just fell out somewhere.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've had carefully wrapped items unwrapped. Other than that, nothing has come up missing.

Are matches one of the items that are not allowed on flights?

In some airports, the luggage handlers are well known to be thieves, so if anything is missing, I would suspect them and not the TSA. It wouldn't surprise me if the thieves targeted bags coming out of the TSA inspection because then the suspicion would not fall completely on them.

It's beyond me why the airlines allow their employees to open bags and steal, and it should be easy enough to catch them, because there is no reason for baggage handlers to be opening baggage and video monitoring is cheap. However, the airlines don't seem to care to do anything about it.
I believe you are allowed safety matches, but not strike-anywhere matches.

And as a baggage handler myself, I can assure you that 99% of the employees are not thieves at the airport I work at. There are cameras everywhere and everyone is watching. You will get caught. Occasionally things fall out of luggage and if deemed important, will try to be returned. People aren't stealing your toothbrushes for the hell of it.

You suspect wrong. How can one target bags coming out of TSA inspection since those are carry-ons? Checked luggage goes through an elaborate system of conveyances and has minimal human contact.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I've had a lead film bag and 2 bulava windup alarm clocks stolen from checked luggage

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Never had anything taken from my luggage and I think that is partly because I am very careful as to what I take with me when I travel. I only take jewelry that I wear, and things like my Ipad and camera and things like that are in my carry-on. At one time in SXM (right after 9/11), checking luggage contents was done out in the open where everybody's luggage was opened in front of everyone while the handlers checked bags. It was a slow but thorough process.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Never had anything taken from my luggage and I think that is partly because I am very careful as to what I take with me when I travel. I only take jewelry that I wear, and things like my Ipad and camera and things like that are in my carry-on. At one time in SXM (right after 9/11), checking luggage contents was done out in the open where everybody's luggage was opened in front of everyone while the handlers checked bags. It was a slow but thorough process.
What's "SXM"? A "sexy" airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel